Human Progress

Article here should explain:

Or here:

3 Likes

Oh, ok. Is that what this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5j2tvjI7A video was about? Finishing the template you started all those years ago?

Have you tried a Corrective Smooth Modifier with a vertex group to only effect areas you want it to?

btw you recording your experience how do you make the 3 races differ in 2 genders i mean to make them look like exaclty like a female a male heads? i am talking about anatomy stuff…

No, there is no finish.

The eyelids need to be affected all over, but in the same direction (outward from the spherical centre of the cornea). I’m not sure this modifier would fix that though…?

There are no separate nodes for the lips.

Just by using lots of references and finding average measurements, and persistent model tweaking. There are only two universal gender shape keys (or actually one, the negative of which is the other), rather than individual gender shape keys for each race (which would amount to six).

I might be misunderstanding the question though.

1 Like

no i mean the differences in the anatomy between female and male recording to you i talking to you as sculptor…stuff like the jaw chin and more that i would like you tell me recording your experience, my best head model (with still some flaws maybe) that i have done which its this one https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oOlAkB by the way dont look at the body because i know the proportions are kinda wrong lol, tho you can suggest me something.

@TheAwesomeGM I haven’t edited them.

@MichaelBenDavid Gender facial differences can be surprisingly subtle, and difficult to articulate… I have to go on intuition a lot of the time. In general though females have smaller jaws, smaller noses, larger, more slanted eyes, fuller lips and more rounded foreheads. However a more slanted forehead or larger jaw alone won’t necessarily make them look male - it’s the sufficient combination of attributes that swings the gender in either direction.

Take these two images for example (linked from here):

At first glance it’s pretty easy to distinguish male from female, but when you start to focus in on individual features, or even the overall head shape, there’s not much in it. Substituting features won’t necessarily change the gender either, until you substitute enough of them to tip the balance.

Bear in mind hairline/hair length and eyebrow shape/thickness have a heavy influence, so even if your bare model looks a bit masculine, long hair and thin eyebrows alone could make the difference. Or if you want to go the other way, whack a beard on it!

EDIT: Here’s some more reference: http://www.virtualffs.co.uk/In_a_Nutshell.html

Regarding your model the first things I notice are the top half of the head looks too tall, and the ears look too small. Otherwise the other features could do with some general refinements before getting down to gender differences, e.g. smoothing the mouth shape (especially the corners and philtrum), adding volume above the upper eyelids and narrowing the nasal bridge.

6 Likes

What happened to this?

@ChrisJones if you haven’t gotten into Tension Maps yet, maybe this will help?

1 Like

Also @ChrisJones can you give me a sample of how you managed the arm’s rig? FK/IK?
trying to do something that keeps them both active all the time but by far it’s not working, I got it working but with a multiplied IK handle movement when I move it

UDIM is in Blender 2.82 alpha, it might interest you:

2 Likes

I remember seeing that before, so unfortunately not (I think because of unsupported shape keys). However as mentioned earlier it might be working now, I just need to wait until I have time to revisit.

I don’t know of a way to have IK and FK active simultaneously, so in that respect you must be ahead of me already. I had to add IK/FK switching, which you can do by adding a driver to the IK Influence and controlling it with another bone.

2.81 or higher gives me graphical glitches and eventually knocks out my video card driver… so that’ll be something I’ll have to look forward to in the future. :confused:

This has been inactive for over a month! What happened?

Nothing happened, I’ve just been busy with less interesting parts of the project. A month doesn’t equate to much in my timespace…

4 Likes

I think he tried it, it had some issues in earlier versions. Does it work properly now?

FaceBuilder for Blender

5 Likes

removed by popular demand

The original TensionMaps script only works for older versions of Blender but I found this after a quick search, it says it’s based on the original work by Pyroevil and updated for Blender 2.8.

Haven’t tried it myself but it’s worth to take a look :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Chris, can you please further explain how do you achieve those nice smooth shapes in the shoulder area with all that arm movement in that “Shoulder exercises” video of twitter?..

For example if you have a corrective shape when the arm moves down (lets say z-90) and then from there you move up (lets say x90) to have at the end z-90 + x90.
Did you add a new corrective shape from those two values so it trigger only when the two are at that point?

Thanks

It’s not a proper workflow actually of inverting a specular map to get a roughness map. If you make the roughness map more specific and custom you’ll get a much more realistic outcome. Otherwise the outcome will look rather weird because of inverted map. But it depends on how much time one wants to invest in creating proper materials