Human Progress

You got a mention by James Gurney (The Dinotopia creator)

7 Likes

Hey Chris
Can you please upload the extended version of flexpression music?

Thanks @BlenderBob / @Bernardo / @freen

0 - 256

:sauropod::t_rex: :partying_face:

I would consider that, if only there were an extended version…

3 Likes

Full color textures next…?

(please…?)

Haha, so unfortunate.

1 Like

Do we get to choose our bodies, though, that’s the question!

Colour was going to be next, but Cycles X has tossed out Christensen Burley, which I was relying on for the limbus (the hardest part of the eyeball to solve), so it’s back to the drawing board on that.

1 Like

Fantastic work Chris.

-Can you tell me please how did you achieve that amazing detail?.. i believe you mention before that you use just one single map or do you change to multiple maps with UDIM?.. anyways looks great.

-How did you sculpt the pore details for squash and stretch of the skin?

-As far as i understand you plan to sell all the textures (color, dynamic wrinkle maps, etc) with the Universal Human…, right?.. if so, do you have an approximate date…, perhaps before the end of the year?

Thanks

Just started to use the “Universal Human Rig” and its really cool. Many many thanks!!!

One request though ( there is always “one small request” :slight_smile: ) for separate product which i`ll gladly buy again if it ever will hit the Gumroad - is it possible to make a separate, single HAND with all this cool controls? Something like this “rigged-hand” on blendermarket - but from “Universal Human Rig”. It would be very useful to use with separate characters for some “handy stuff” without rebuilding them from the ground with your system again.

I managed to rip them off manually (feels like surgery), but now Blender warns about tons of broken drivers… // so something like that without all that non-handy drivers would be very useful.

How did one guy exceed in making faces than the majority of VFX houses? This is seriously really good, now we just need it more optimized and games would have this quality of faces.

2 Likes

well, this is the result of (over?) a decade of work and a constantly ebbing and flowing of needs and personal R&D. Movies are products and the faces made for em are also products. They gotta be done with tried and tested methods, go through many hands, many layers of approval, and many re-dos, all for a deadline.

1 Like

I smeared the pores and painted finer wrinkles in Krita. Still using a single UV map for the time being.

I was hoping to have the head textures done before the end of the year, but I’m not so sure now. Problems like the above are cropping up ever more frequently, and every time I fix something it breaks something else I already fixed. Now I’m getting these massive RAM surges for no apparent reason, which makes it hard to do anything at all… I must be at the pointy end of the project.

If not this year though then almost definitely next year, I think, without a doubt. Maybe.

That was the original plan, but I wasn’t sure if there was enough interest. I still might revisit the idea when the hand is textured, since that would be more useful, but it will depend on how hard it is to separate it from the rest of the body every time I do an update (I already have several convoluted procedures to go through).

I was thinking of it as a hand on its own though rather than being able to attach it back onto a rig, which would be even less straightforward.

3 Likes

This is amazing! I really love the skin imperfection design :heartpulse:
Great job!

Thanks for the answers. So you are using Cycles X. Did you update your hardware?.. are you using an RTX now?.., if so, can you preview the dynamic wrinkles in the viewport with Eevee when animating?

@ArtRG Thanks!
@yolao No, still with the old hardware.

Your work gets a lot of attention on social media. Maybe you should try getting a hardware company to sponsor you with a new machine.

5 Likes

I’m sorry if you hate this @ChrisJones, but its not right that you are ever hampered by your hardware:

https://twitter.com/emberblend/status/1445185696033951744

I’ll gladly take this down and would be totally open to other ways for us to make sure you get a modern rig. This needs to be rectified!!!

4 Likes

Maybe after I get back to work and get everything caught up, I just might contribute a few items of @ChrisJones choosing. I work at Amazon so I may be able to get a discount.

3 Likes

That would be very kind of you! Of course we shouldn’t put too much pressure on @ChrisJones to be receptive to any of this as I’m sure he has his own way of dealing with things but if Blender users (or anyone else) can empower him it would be great for everyone who cares about CG!

3 Likes

Hah - well, although I can actually afford a PC now, the parts shortage combined with my very specific requirements have put that on hold until the prices get back to something less ridiculous, and more component choices become available. After all I’ve waited this long already, what’s an extra year or two… :wink:

I certainly appreciate the gesture though. :grinning: The RAM fluctuations are being caused by Blender by the way, it doesn’t look like it’s hardware related. My main issues are render times, and random GPU crashes.

2 Likes