Humanoid animation standard

(xhyldazhk) #1

Would be nice to have a humanoid animation standard for naming bones of armatures so different game makers could exchange animated models transparently… some like what is H-Anim for VRML but now for Blender…

(saluk) #2

Well, for flipped animation to work (like flipping a keyframe) you are supposed to add a .L or .R to the name of each bone that has a “side” associated with it. The flip command doesn’t always work for me, but why don’t we stick to that convention for these bones:

foot
lowerleg
upperleg
hand
lowerarm
upperarm
torso
chest
neck
head

The only problem I see is if someone wants to add more bones for more flexibility in the animations, such as animated hair or facial expressions, but the ability to swap meshes and have them attach to the armature already would be nice.

Then again, setting up a new armature is fairly easy, while changing mesh names is a lot more difficult, so it wouldn’t be too difficult for mesh makers to just include the armature as well…

(SHABA1) #3

I noticed this about blenders bone system. It does not conform to the naming convention for the H-Anim spec. You could actually make a set of bones with the names according to the spec but then you would have to to the mirrored poses yourself

(xhyldazhk) #4

Yup, I think H-Anim is not suitable for blender, because it prefixes side instead of suffixing it (by example, l_hand instead of hand.L). So I will use Saluk’s bone names instead, and for scaling, I will use OTO’s scaling convention (two Blender units = 1 meter). I think it’s reasonable and eventually this will lead to a community of totally interchangeable, animated 3D actions and models.

(SHABA1) #5

Yes you are right, but this leave blender outside if the ISO community. In other words if the H-Anim standard is adopted widely by other animators/modelers then blender creators/animators will be left out in the cold as far as interchangeblity of poses and animations.

(xhyldazhk) #6

H-Anim standard is actually defined in terms of complex VRML structures (namely, PROTO’s). You can’t create new object prototypes nor new object types actually in Blender, so, even if the names were right, the structure of the data cannot adhere totally to H-Anim standard. A Python H-Anim to Saluk/OTO standards would be more suitable, because there are Python VRML parsing libraries (the mcf.vrml package).