Hydrogen power

Some time ago I wrote about hydrogen Gama engine and now Polish made Nesobus, or a hydrogene bus pictured, has test runs. Recently in Gdynia. Poland seems to bet on hydrogen power

Kujk9kpTURBXy82ZGEzZGJkNDIxODBmZWRhYWM2ZDg0MjI5MTAwYzg1NS5qcGeRlQLNAeAAwsOBoTAF

1 Like

It still takes a lot of energy to produce the hydrogen. Although the only “exhaust” from the process of course is steam, it is still an expensive proposition once the “hidden” costs of gas manufacturing are fully considered.

Chicago has a fleet of hydrogen buses. I never hear much about it for some reason, but they seem happy with it.

It will be great if pure Hydrogen can be made to work, as it is the most plentiful element in the universe and there is not a single nation on Earth that physically cannot create its own supply (which removes the impact of geopolitics from energy).

Toyota is still betting on it for example, but we have to figure out better ways to contain an atom so small it actually goes through metal tanks.

1 Like

I remember reading that the biggest problem towards widespread adoption of hydrogen as a fuel source is that it requires platinum to catalyze. It’s expensive, and not exactly plentiful.

I don’t want want to be that guy, but I wanted to clear some things up. Hydrogen is not a source of energy like coal, petrol, diesel or natural gas. Rather it is a form of energy storage more comparable to Lithium-ion battery in electric cars. A much more efficient, fast and clean alternative at that. Hydrogen energy incentivises the use of actual renewable sources of energy like solar and wind, which by their very nature are not constant and reliable sources.

Electricity + sea water.

Our scientists are working on it and will sure find a good solution as they have enough brains for the task. And this way seems natural for us as 1883 Olszewski and WrĂłblewski liquefied oxygen and nitrogen from the air, which nobody had done before them, using their own method. As you can see, after oxygen and nitrogen came hydrogen.

Most hydrogen today is produced as a fossil fuel by-product (gas steam reforming), that is Blue Hydrogen. It is getting a big push by gas an oil extractors so that they can continue to extract profits from wells. Of course this has the down side of producing a lot of carbon which no one has economically (or successfully?) captured or stored in the process.

Once created the hydrogen must be stored and transported cryogenically which requires more energy. Then during transport and use you will discover that the hydrogen molecule, being the smallest in the universe, is very hard to contain efficiently. There are effective energy loses all along the chain to its eventual use.

Its not a very good energy storage medium relative to electrical batteries.