i am confused

hi, i might sound like a noob here but i started using blender when 2.49b was the most updated version of blender, but i decided so long to update and now i got the most updated version, 2.58a, and i understand most of the updates, but i need help with some things:
Where are the material buttons that used to be under “Links and Materials” when you used to select an object under the editing panel.
Where is the center cursor button which used to be under “Mesh” when you had an object selected under the editing panel also.
My mouselook scripts can’t seem to work, so if someone could help me with that that would be great.

Where are the material buttons that used to be under “Links and Materials” when you used to select an object under the editing panel.

Logically they are now in the Materials panel in the Properties window. Remember that some functions can only be carried out in a certain mode. Adding different materials to mesh faces can only be done in Edit mode so you will only see those controls in Edit mode

Where is the center cursor button which used to be under “Mesh” when you had an object selected under the editing panel also.
Press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+C or use the ‘Origin’ button in the toolshelf (T key)

My mouselook scripts can’t seem to work, so if someone could help me with that that would be great.

2.49 scripts will not work as 2.58 uses a different python version and there have been many api changes.
What you need to grasp is the N and T keys for showing toolshelf and properties. It will become perfectly clear in 30 minutes use and when you start to think logically where you would expect to find something rather than with the scatter gun button approach in the 2.49 interface

thank you so much, and also i just ran across this right now:
I can’t find any bevel tool.

There’s a bevel modifier, but bevel as it was in 2.49 doesn’t exist yet.