I am having trouble understanding the hype surrounding the Arnold Render

I agree with M, in a way we were lucky to have him contribute code to Cycles (finishing the initial anisotropic shader node functionality and implementing environmental MIS).

That was before we had Broadstu, DingTo, Dfelinto, Lukas Stockner, and Sv. Lockal sign on to the project though, back then it was mainly just Brecht and we were looking for more developers. Now we are getting a nice little development ecosystem going and there’s no real need right now to search around.

I’ll forward the request on to the MtoA devs. I don’t have enough knowledge to know one way or another why that node isn’t supported.

Not to mention HDR textures as well… Supporting HDR textures was a necessity for environmental MIS.

I remember following his blog and donating… it was a great time! Thanks again for all your hard work Mike!

Are there any plans for a blender-arnold plugin? or is that something that you cannot talk about at this time.

Thanks, very kind of you !

Hadrien

There exists a shader node for the Maya luminance someone created. Check your private messages for next steps for your friend.

what i dont understand if that people do need to use large scenes with hundreds of lights etc.
Then why dont make use a a renderfarm, use your pc only for editing modeling. Blender scales quite good, one could even render per small square by batch if you would like to.

in my opinion not seen alex, but cycles is damn good render engine, as long as you know how to render and how to make use of it, it excels many others.

The big strong point with Cycles now is the node-based shading, but it still needs a host of memory optimizations and more advanced sampling abilities before we can truly say it can replace some of the industry standard engines. The studios in Hollywood for one thing are known for creating countless scenes with billions of polygons and extremely high-res textures, and with a decent turnaround time to boot.

Now I use Cycles regardless because it’s built into Blender and produces the results that I want, even though it can’t render everything you can possibly throw at it yet (though Lukas’ sampling patch may give it a good leap in that direction).