I am running out of straws...[(One problem)Solved]

^Again, not intending to scare people away from Ubuntu…

Might not be the worst idea though. :wink:

Although I was a fan of Ubuntu and to some extend still am, it took a wrong direction in my opinion. It was great FOSS and now became a political issue, where a bored millionaire is rampaging with his ludicrous ideas, dragging the whole project away from desktops towards tablets and mobile devices and dragging the Gnome project along.

The good thing in the world of penguins is, there’s always a choise :wink:

^ The problem is, that when switching to another distro, you push father into the wild, unsupported frontier.

In this page
he has a binary 2.7.4 “You can download the binary here” it says and the here is a link to the file. Then he says how to “install” the binary.
Hope it helps.

Linux 32? I’m using a Ubuntu 32bit laptop for the next few days, and, well no gimp…

http://distrowatch.com/ interesting that Mint is #1, and the no-brainer answer is that they are still focusing on desktop-style interfaces.

Although I was a fan of Ubuntu and to some extend still am, it took a wrong direction in my opinion. It was great FOSS and now became a political issue, where a bored millionaire is rampaging with his ludicrous ideas, dragging the whole project away from desktops towards tablets and mobile devices and dragging the Gnome project along.
You may not want to look at Win8 or macOS… It’s sad that the companies are doing this UI garbage, with a big monitor you are talking a ton of mouse travel to get where you need, plus the bloated resource usage, plus the fact that programs still use regular olde-fashioned UIs, so who need these new ones? Maybe in 5 years or whatever when keyboards and mice are no longer used these new designs will be useful :wink:

Windows 8 already has a place in my heart, right next to Windows ME and Windows Vista, filed under B like Betatest.

When I saw a youtube video I was thinking: Glad the windows users are going to suffer the same iphonization that we in ubuntu 11.10. I suppose the first thing every user in windows 8 will do is deactivate the iphonization things that came with win8.

I will be installing next days Linux Mint in another hard disk to take a look. Seems exactly what I want: the old ubuntu interface but with the new apps and drivers.

I don’t really boot much into 11.10, but I did see this http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-make-ubuntu-11-10-look-and-feel-like-gnome-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

haven’t tried it yet tho

Also this little ditty of a rumor http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA0ODk

Stopping by to deposit my weekly rants:

-Ubuntu 11.10 has a serious bug where it will often hang on shutdown. Scenario- You are about to go to bed, you hit Shutdown in the menu, and leave the room. The next morning you find the computer’s still on the purple screen, and the monitor’s on and the fan’s been running full blast.

I knew I was overdue for a install-breaking, unbootable-fy-ing mistake…