I am the unexpected, and you are the best (updated variant caustics Luxcore 2.6)

I have been working a lot, on many different projects, with many different clients, teaching, manufacturing, designing, drawing, rendering, and in the middle of all that, I keep creating my own dreams in those misterious hours, when there is no time left for nothing, that is when.

Sometimes some image pops out during ongoing work. This image is one of these occasions.

Cycles render with composed caustics rendered with Luxcore 2.6
This image is not grayscale. One of the main goals is to have a very subtle color palette,
so this is a good test for your eyes and screen.

This image is a frame part of an animation titled “I am the unexpected and you are the best”

Cycles render 4K

16 Likes

Does luxcore.support gpu render? Or cpu? BTW mate those renders are awesome. Great work man.

1 Like

Thank you mate. Yes Luxcore makes GPU rendering since last year, it works with CUDA and OpenCL so works with NVIDIA and AMD, and also uses CPU for specific parts of the rendering like light tracing for rapid caustics, Luxcore has become one of the best render engines available, and it is free, but most than that, it is capable of amazing renders at very good speeds (I am obviously a fan, but for very objective reasons)

Thanks. Those info is really great help for me. I was planning to use luxcore. But currently I am using blender 2.92. does luxcore 2.6 support 2.92? Or I need to use 2.5 version? And recently I checked some forum complaint about slow viewport render. Is it that much slower than cycles? Sorry, for asking this much question at once. Thanks again.

1 Like

Luxcore 2.5 works with 2.92. Luxcore 2.6 will work with 2.93, you can download a daily build.
The viewport and interactivity does feel slower than Cycles, but the final render is often faster than Cycles in my opinion, it has special features to accelerate interior rendering and caustics rendering.

1 Like

When you set a scene correctly directly for Luxcore, you should be fine with your viewport speeds. There is more calculation for light, well Luxcore is an unbiased renderer, but that is why we always expect to gain beauty in light bounces and light effects. But Luxcore is fast (all unbiased path tracing engines are slower than Cycles), with Luxcore you gonna get images that Cycles cannot generate, I rather consider them as different tools for different goals. When you start using a new render engine, always consider that you will have to adapt your work patterns. In Luxcore light setups are very different and you must think different. But you are definitely going to step up in realism, and thanks to GPU support from Luxcore, all your hardware is going to be used.

About Blender 2.9 … 2.92 2.93 and Luxcore - short answer, it works, download the BlendLuxcore addon at https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/releases/tag/latest

yes during months Luxcore would not work because Blender Devs started using a new version of Python, which is the correct way to go, but great news, you can download the latest LUXCORE builds work with 2.92 etc… I use 2.93… I am going to make a tutorial about this jewelry render and talk about installing again.

1 Like

Thanks. This was soo much info and helpful too. I am planning to give a shot to luxcore from today. Any good and detailed tut suggestion please.

I have a tutorial https://youtu.be/H7dsWONZh_A it is much oriented to jewellery but it might help you get some settings to start.

1 Like

Thanks mate. I will check this.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you Bart, have a weekend full of brightful sparkles!

1 Like

Does luxcore 2.6 support GPU rendering?
Capture
I don’t have the GPU option in drop-down menu

Then you very probably have an AMD GPU, then OpenCL is for you

Thanks. One more thing in the render panel the option name " device selection " have both gpu amd cpu option. If I turned off the cpu option. Has there any quality issue with the render image?

Generally always use CPU+GPU, some things need cpu to render, I think Luxcore will tell you to turn cpu on

1 Like

Okay. Thanks. Do you face any bugs or issue with luxcore daily build??

Not that I can remember

One more thing. How can I render with fixed sample like cycles. I render a scene with progressive option and it goes up to 1200 sample. Any idea how to render with 128 or 64 sample?