I am trying to make a truck and I need help.

This is my first time using this software, but I’ve got pretty good experience with other software and reading tutorials. I’m not trying to make a fancy, high detailed truck. I just want to explore shapes and their uses. For example, the wheel is just going to be a cylinder with a picture of the tire/rim as texture. That’s how low grade I want this, simply because I am learning.

I have read the basics and know most of where the tools and shortcuts are. So, the few questions I do have, are:

• How would I go about adding 2 different textures to one shape? (IE: one texture on one side, and another on the other)
  • How would do I remove a face off of a square? (To make the bed of the truck)
  • How would I add the wheel wells to the square? I want half a circle removed from the square, but I’m not sure what that is called.
  • When I am modifying the vertices, like stretching them, how do I stretch them at a even rate so there is no decimals?If there is anything else I need to know, please let me know. Thanks.

It is fascinating that your problem set presents a very good learning process.

1. Adding multiple textures is accomplished through material indices. In edit mode, in the ‘Link and Materials Panel’ (F9), you will find the ‘New’ button to add a new material index. You can assign this new material index to specific faces on your model. Perhaps you should spend some quality time here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Multiple_Materials

2. Select all 4 vertices of the face, XKEY will present you with the ‘Erase’ popup, select ‘Faces’.

3. I don’t want to discourage you from a good exercise but an interesting tutorial on this sort of thing is available at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Simple_Vehicle:_Body
    It does not answer your question precisely. A hint: do not think of a rectangle with a wheel well cut out of it, think of a wheel well surrounded by a rectangle.

4. The simple answer is to press the CTRL key while moving (press GKEY, then hold CTRL key while moving the mouse) to constrain the move to even increments on the grid. There are many methods at your disposal here. GKEY followed by ZKEY will constrain the move to the Z-Axis. If you are trying to move precisely 3 blender units and you seem to be stuck between 2.92 and 3.04; try typing ‘3’ on the keypad. (Watch the numeric display below the axis display at the lower left of the 3d view.)

Blender, like so many other quality interfaces, is a learning process with great rewards. Be patient. I apologize for the answer to #3, there are several solutions.