I am using KNOPPIX right now, with Blender (LINUX)

I wanted to see if KNOPPIX would work with the LINUX version of BLENDER.

And it does, but not with YafRay of Course, being that I am working with no Hard Drive But I do have a 5GB USB jump drive attached.

I am amazed. For those of you who don’t know what KNOPPIX is, it is LINUX on a CDROM. Free to download too.

You download the ISO file and burn that on a CDROM
Boot your PC with CDROM in, and Boom, Linux is running on your PC. No hard drive needed.

Everything works (for mr at least) including the printer.

Great for emergencies.

This is good info…thx

Man, Spin . . . I can’t believe you just posted this!

I downloaded/burned Knoppix about a month or two ago. Finally realized I could run it on an old system in my garage (Knoppix didn’t recognize the Intuos tablet on my current PC).

Just today I decided to try it out, and it works fine. Downloaded Blender to try it too, and I saw your post.

BTW: Which Linux version did you use?

That’s cool. Somebody else did it too!

I downloaded Linux i386 2.3.2, dynamic, Python 2.3 (6.6 MB)

I just tried the newest version of Blender for LINUX and it worked.

Version for Python 2.4 works too.

Of course, Python can’t be installed w/o a HD . . . I’ll eventually install Linux anyway, though.

Question: For the LINUX gurus. I want to be able to dual boot to either XP or LINUX. How much hard drive space is adequate for LINUX and what should I know to do this?

As far as I can see, I can partition my hard drive to what is needed, then boot the Computer with LINUX CD in and install it. The only question i have now is the Boot menu to choose Either XP or LINUX.

The last version I used was RedHat and that was multiple CDS to install it. What version of LINUX should I use, geared for Blender?

I can’t help you with recent distros-- the last one I used with any success was RH8 (after that ATI started screwing around with drivers). I haven’t liked a single distro since RH8.

I usually do the following:

1. Give XP and XP programs 20-30gig.
  2. Leave the required * 4 space for linux. (IE, if a full install takes 5 gig, ten I leave 20.) This gets further divvied up
  3. Create a swap partition twice the size of available system ram.
  4. Take the remaining space and format it as FAT32.

The problem with XP and Linux is that Linux support for NTFS, unless something’s changed recently, is still not 100%. However, having a FAT32 partition allows you to swap files between the two OSs. Nice for things like your music collection and files that you maybe rendered in Linux and composited in XP.

So all that said, at least a 120gig drive is what I normally use and I don’t generally feel like I run out of space all that quickly. Sure, you can do it with less, but I like to pad everything out.

I would recommend that you try openSuSE 10.0 (not 10.1 it’s still beta and buggy).
It will recognize your windows partitions automatically and it will install grub as bootloader which allows you to dual boot your system without any headaches. You can download it from opensuse.org
It is really easy to install and works really good.

Greets

I have 1 5GB FAT32 JumpDrive to swap files.

I’m using fedora 4, and it works fine for me. (Once I finally got the wireless working!)

If you have the means, I would suggest installing a second hard drive to use for your second OS. Just seems safer to me.

Thanks. all of the spare Hard drives that I have left are less than 5 GB.

I do have the current 160GB hard drive on my system that I can partition. I used to have 2 operating systems on it (XP and Win98) and it worked fine.

Hey Spin, I’m a Mandrake/Mandriva fan myself. Linux drive space is all dependent on what you want to do. A full installation with every package (in Mandriva 2006) is roughly 6 GB. That’s with all the stuff you will never need. That said, as long as you have a good editor (I use emacs) and all the development packages installed (so you can compile whatever you need from source), Gimp, FF, and maybe OOo.
The nice thing about linux is that you can span the installation across multiple drives since it is a partition file system rather than a physical drive system. (/ on drive 1, /usr on drive 2, /home on drive 3 etc). This is also advantageous in older systems with lower ram so you can specify your swap partition to a dedicated drive.
I’ve installed a useable system of linux on a PII 333 with 2 2GB hard drives and 128 mb RAM. Sucked for rendering, but the interface was snappy enough for most modelling (except big particle systems).
Good luck.

As for dual boot - make sure you install windows first otherwise it will garble your grub or lilo boot loader.
Also make sure your home folder and other folders for personal stuff is on a separte partition than the OS, cause when you need to reinstall cause you messed something up beyond repair, you will be happy! (I know from experience…I’m a tinkerer).

Linux distributions I recommend:
debian
install it directly from the net, you can choose a minimalistic installation first and add your needed programs later. if you just want a bare system with just the X-System to have blender running, I doubt you’d spend more than 600MB ( my guess) on your HD. Plus a swap partition of course of 512-1024MB.
If you want a more fancy desktop system with kde or gnome and other software (gimp, editing, sound apps) you need of course more.

In my case I have a debian install with gnome, kde and some lightweight window managers, all image editing software I could find, of course blender, some other 3d apps, compositing software, music/audio software, quake3+Ut , openoffice on a partition of 20GB.
the whole installation needs 4,5GB (I have my /home on another parttion btw) and it’s packed with software!

Suse or Redhat tend to give lesser options during the install (at least when I tried my last suse8.0) to choose what and what not to install in the beginning.

DualBoot:
I guess all Distros include “grub bootloader” these days which boots all PC systems known to man (well almost) like XP, Linux, BSD and so on. all living on the same machine.
Also the older Lilo bootloader booted into XP/2000/98 fine for me.

I just tried modify Slax (slax.linux-live.org) yesterday, after wasting 3 CDs for my attemp. I can get my mod slax that use Nvidia accelerated display driver pack with Gimp, Wings3d 0.98.33, Blender 2.41,Yafray, Mozilla Firefox+some ext at the 4th CD :slight_smile: in about 214MB (removed most of other apps -: KDE & Kapp stuff)
I’ve tried to add Inkscape with no luck -_-’ I forget to try ayam (ayam.sourceforge.net) It’s quite nice if it can work with Slax for doing NURBS stuff.

The way I look at it is that once you’ve gone this far with Linux you should hose Windows completely unless there is a piece of software that you absolutely cannot lilve without and for which there is no equivalent on Linux or under Wine.

I completely agree with what krizu posted and dschnell289 is spot on as well. I have been running Linux exclusively since 1998 and 5GB is plenty as long as you keep your software install minimal. The best way to get this minimal install is to build from sources. I say this because many utilities to manage your Linux packages add extra dependencies which you may or may not use or need.

So my shameless plug would be to go with Gentoo. Of course all the distros mentioned are really top knotch and you can’t go wrong with any of them.