I can roll a string UP on a wheel but have no idea how to to roll a string OFF a whee

The question might sound simple but it’s actually pretty difficult since there are many factors in my scenario.

I’m currently making a compound bow for a VR game, but I can’t find a proper way to roll up/off the string.

I uploaded a short video here to show you where the issue is: https://youtu.be/mYnHmFhpzjA
(Just mute the audio, I forgot to turn off a video in the background when I recorded this)
I basically want the string to smoothly roll off of the wheel when pulling the string back.

I’ve already posted this issue in other subreddits and didn’t find any solutions, I also contacted several youtubers that do blender stuff and had conversations with some of them but nobody could think of a way to properly roll off the string.

As a worst case measure, is there a way to do animations frame by frame by manually moving the vertices? It would take some time but it’d work at least.

Please help I’ve been trying to figure this out for 3 days straight and no matter what I do I just can’t make it work, it’s beyond frustrating.

Go to my website clockmender.uk and find the tutorial on Cord Systems - “Blender Tutorials” => “Cord Systems-1” - it’s all explained there for you along with a sample blend file on page 3. - Just ask if you don’t understand anything.

Cheers, Clock.

I’m pretty sure that this wouldn’t work in my case since a) the wheel/cam is not round and b) the string doesn’t just get rolled off but also pulled away at the same time, therefore the rotation changes.

I will give it a try though and play around with it a little.

The principle is in the tutorial, not necessarily the exact execution for you - look at the bit where I move the jib up and down, that principle will work for your bow.

Cheers, Clock.