I can't create a wood floor, please help?

I have watched tutorials on youtube, but they never work for me on Blender version 2.77a

Can a kind person please show me a beginners tutorial how I can create a nice wooden floor?

I have some wood textures already, but I cannot get it to show up or work when I add a Mesh/Plane.

Thank you:)

Okay, first you need to add a material before you can add a texture, so go into the Properties editor > Materials context panel and select a color in the Diffuse sub-panel. That’s your material.

Now go into the Properties editor > Textures conext panel and select the New button to add a texture. When the next panel opens up, click on the Open button and select your texture file.

At this point, set the 3D viewer to Edit mode and select the faces on your object you want to texture. Once they’re selected, go into the Mesh menu and select UVunwrap > Unwrap.

Now you can create a new window and change it to the UV editor. In the UV editor menu header, click on the little button to the left of the field box to select your texture file from the popup menu. Your texture should come up in teh UV editor with the mapping lines laid out over it.

If you can’t see your texture on your object at this point make sure you’re in Texture mode. You might have to switch it between Material mode and Texture mode (and possibly even Solid mode) before you’ll see it in the 3D viewer.

I am stuck in your first sentence… you say “Properties editor > Materials context panel”… where is the Materials context panel as I don’t see it in a new project after deleting the cube?

And how do I select a color in the Diffuse sub-panel? Where is the Diffuse sub-panel?

Anthony, can you please create a video and upload to youtube of all the steps you wrote above, that way I can slowly follow along visually?

The properties editor is the window on the far right that you can’t close completely.

I can’t create videos but i can step you through this here.

I actually think I got it worked out, with a lot of googling your terminologies :stuck_out_tongue:

I done the first 3 paragraphs, but how do I now “create a new window and change it to the UV editor.”?

okay, at the corner edge of the menu bar for each window there’s three little diagonal lines. If you put the mouse over it you get a + cursor. When you do you can click and drag the window aside to create a new one. I’ll post an image…

It won’t let me edit the last message…

stc=1

Attachments

Ok I done all that Anthony.

What do I do next? :slight_smile:

Just follow the rest of my instructions.

I don’t understand when you say “In the UV editor menu header, click on the little button to the left of the field box to select your texture file from the popup menu. Your texture should come up in teh UV editor with the mapping lines laid out over it.”

??

Where is the UV editor menu header?

The menu header is the menu bar at the bottom of the UV editor window.

You select your texcture file that you just assigned to your object’s material by clicking on this button:

/uploads/default/original/4X/4/1/5/4154ad7c611e650459933df03579cddbe7b44a2e.jpgstc=1

Attachments

I don’t see that on my screen Anthony?

Mine looks different… all I see is View, Select, Add, Object. NOWHERE do I see that menu header your photo displays.

Hi

You are not in the Uv/Image Editor You are in the 3 d viewport.

Left Click the little Icon before View…And select Uv/Image Editor.

Follow Anthony’s Nice explanation To make Your Woodfloor…:slight_smile:

PS.

If You press shift - A and select Images as plane…That will setup Your Texture on a plane.

You need to learn a little more about Blenders Interface…Otherwise You will get into a lot trouble.

Tai

This is what we want our floors to look like awesome… but it takes time…How do I keep my floors looking new?