i can't model a person

i’m trying to make a model of a chibi person from a manga, i tryed low polly modeling, cube modeling, and normal modeling, but nothing seems to work, can someone help me???

Help you in what respect? Are you new to 3D and Blender? If so we cant help you in that regard. Start with something simpler. Practice, practice, practice. Follow tutorials if you are unsure what to make.

On the other hand, if you have a more specific question, please ask away.

-Laurifer

any ideas on how to model the head, i’m basically just stuck, and i’m not new, i’ve been using blender for years but i’ve never had so much trouble with a model before. people are too complicated to make.

Do you have references? If you want it to look right, you need to examine the source.

google chibi search

modelling stylized chibi people is a specific instance of human modelling, but it doesn’t mean you can discard the basic principles of modelling a real face.

I’d say start off with a profile and a front view of the face you want to model (draw it yourself, or use references) and model in outlines.

if you haven’t done so already, I’d recommend going through the joan of arc tutorial, which features modelling a somewhat stylized person from beginningn to end and is very informative to those who need help modelling people.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

TorQ made this great tutorial: https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066. If you follow the pictures exactly you get great results. Its a place to start, then you can make your mesh more complex as you need it.

-Laurifer

even after all the months i have been modeling (on and off mind you) i still cant model people at all so i know the frustration.

that joan of ark thing would be helpfull, but i can’t draw chibi, and all the pictures i get have the character with a different mouth and eye size, so i need a new front/side vew picture :-?

how come we can never get 3d people models to look real? i mean leonardo da vinci and michel angelo did it, why can’t we, and why do i have so much trouble with spelling?

I would like to echo Laurifer’s recomendation of TorQ’s tutorial. If you use the pics TorQ provides and follow the tutorial exactly, you will end up with a very good basic face with which you can use as a “jumping off” point to model a more complex face and eventually a head. Adding edgeloops along with pushing and pulling verts will yield a useable model. Expect it to take some time though. Think of it as sculpting, don’t quit, and you’ll eventually get there.

I might be wrong but I suspect that if you can’t draw a reasonable representation of what you plan to model, then modelling it will be difficult - especially without matching front and side references. I say this because I believe the spatial concepts are the same, except that the modelling has the added complexity of a third dimension to deal with.

I would also suggest that most people “can” draw, they just don’t really try hard enough, often enough. Drawing is like golf, it takes practise (I can’t play golf by the way - and I gave up trying).

Just keep trying. If you want to learn basic head drawing, search Google for drawing tutorials or get “Drawing from the right side of the brain” from the library if you can. It has some interesting approaches for people who think they can’t draw. For modelling, I also recommend the Torq tutorial mentioned earlier.

As for your spelling problem - who knows? :slight_smile: I can spell quite well but I’m damned sure my fingers are dyslexic :wink:

actually one of the things that dissapoint me about tutorials is the large amount of them that rely on the user’s ability to generate 2d content, often hand drawn. I’m not good at drawing, and while I do believe your notion of “not trying hard enough”, really drawing is just not my thing anymore(I could draw horrible pictures for hours when I was in highschool). Now modelling, that I can really enjoy, disregard how good it looks in the end, I like doing it. But I refuse to accept that the best models have to begin as drafts(ok, maybe I’m denial… maybe…)

As I said, I could be wrong so don’t by any means be put off by my view. But, I just think that if you can’t resolve basic proportions in a 2D sketch (I’m not talking DaVinci, just a simple, scribbly outline) then I can’t see how you’d be able to resolve proportions interactively in 3D space.

I don’t think the best models have to begin as 2D drafts but if you are trying for a specific outcome, it could be difficult without some sort of spatial plan - a guide to proportions and locations of major features. The alternative of course, is just to keep modelling till you get something you like instead of trying for a particular outcome. This way you create your own style.