I created a brief checklist for reducing cycles render times

Hey everybody!

Yesterday I started rendering a animation and as always realized way too late: This is gonna take ages.

So I started watching all the videos again about reducing render times, read all the articles and then tested it all.

Because I don’t want to do that again, I made a checklist for the most important settings/things to think of when reducing render time.

The checklist is especially useful if you know these settings already and just forgot about them (or some of them) since the last time. If not: I included some tutorials specifically for the settings.

The settings are all grouped together in a (hopefully) useful way, so that you dont have to jump between panels etc. to check them off.

Its just a first draft and I did it while rendering (hah) so feel free to give me feedback for improving it.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

Blender_2_9_Cycles_DecreaseRenderTime_Checklist_v02.pdf (91.9 KB)

Edit: Btw, I included “baking light, texture and material to a texture” because I didn’t see it in another tutorial and it just saved me so much render time! It shaved off 2 minutes and 40 seconds for each frame. So if you have a static scene I can only recommend it.

Edit2: Updated the file.

2 Likes

Thx for compiling that list. It looks very useful. :smiley:

Is there something similar for eevee renders as well?
I mean eevee is lightning fast already, but e.g. for animations with lots of frames, a list like that would be useful too.

1 Like

Hi.
Auto Tile Size addon is an old obsolete addon designed for Blender 2.7 and old GPUs. This should not be included in Bleneder 2.8+, and people should stop recommending it. For example, for hybrid CPU+GPU render, this addon will recommend a large tile size that is not optimal for CPU part.

By default 64x64 tile size is a good average to cover most situations and hardware (not necessarily the optimal value in some cases)

1 Like

Thats good to hear!

I don’t know about that, but if there isn’t I might do one in the future. But first I will have to do more projects with evee.

Oh no! I didn’t know that, thank you very much for bringing it up.

I updated the checklist to v02 and changed it, its strange that I have never heard of that.

You inquire about AO Bounces trick for interior renders, especially for scenes with HDRi lighting:

This requires two manual settings and the values may vary depending on the scene, from the Simplify menu and from the World tab > Ambient Occlusion.
Keep in mind that this is a trick, tricks are not always optimal for image results and generally they are faking things.

1 Like