I Dream of Treemakers

erm…

hehe, nope, actually Arbaro exports OBJ and dxf, also povray in two flavours.
And all for free :slight_smile: (open source, hosted at sourceforge.net, yay…)

No plugin needed :slight_smile:
You can import into any 3d tool, the screenies I put above shows that :slight_smile:

Maybe you’re confused with the also great povtree…Which has only pov *.inc (the other well known Povray extension is *.pov, but surely there are more…) export available, I have digged at those inc files, and now uv info there…only a triangles list and some info bout proceduraslmaterials, and colors asigned, etc.

Povtree indeed at least has UV that can be applied to leaves…dunno if the trees get a parametric uv or something automatically, I doubt it though…

arbaro is very good, and free.

for the povtree *.inc povray export (include files) , I tried crossroads, but I read somewhere it ignores UVs, and also, gave me an error, like the other tool I know opening inc files, wct2pov…gave me errors, too…

tree designer has only dxf(so, no UVs) export -and I think after purchasing- is comercial tool, really.

arboretum is a plugin for the comercial forester, I’m afraid. In any case , what u get is export for forester and povray once purchase…so it would do fo rme even once purchased, hehe.

I think I have looked into every free tool…only not l system for blender…

hm they must have changed it from last time i checked i’ll go have a look at it.

It does look like it makes some pretty nice models, but yeah, bummer about the UVs,…I think Lsystem can make some pretty similar trees to alot of those, but I don’t know about the willow and the palm and a couple of others. I think I’ll download it and see how weildy it is.

i think my importer should work for the mesh though there is no uv support at present. should i work on it?

check my website for the scripts
you should use the arbaro script if there is no special script for the treegen you’re using

note: i didn’t read all of the above

actually, I rarely use Blender, only a bit for animation, so all I needed was an OBj with it’s tree uvs. Now this is perfectly possible with Arbaro 1.9.4 free software…Only I need a bit of editing of exported UVs in Ultimate Unwrap (lithunwrap comercial) , but only a bit.

For the question if there’s a need of adding UV support for your script in Blender…what is important is add uv generation as it generates the tree. As is not easy task, or quick task to make UVs for a complex tree. that’s key for tree generation…The user can then for example use a shared uv leaf for all leafs, so that a single huge 512x512(for example) leaf texture will make the whole bunch of leaves very realistically textured, even from short distance.Same with bark/branches (a seamless tiling texture of bark would be asigned to automatic generated uvs)

But while I am not a programmer, I imagine is not a trivial task. I have more than I need with arbaro and wings3d modeller, but I mean for the interest of any Blender user.

OH!..sorry, you are the maker of an importer, not a tree generation script…well…actually the main free tool, quite usable, Arbaro, now can do uvs export in its OBJs, and the OBJ plugins for Blender really work well. So, already you can import OBJ from it uvmapped.

More interesting could be if there’s other good tree generator you’r interested in with no mesh +uv export, to make an importer for it.