I feel like I'm abandoning my boss. Job offer.

I realy should write these kinds of things in a blog, but I don’t update those enough to get regular commenters.

I’m currently setting up a small company developping games. Figuring out which taxes to pay, what insurances to look forward to, and what possible revenues could be… is a hasle I have to do even though I’d rather just start making games for my first client, and for our future (hopefully) publishing contracts.

The thing is, I’m still working part time at another company doing translations and making PR material with indesign and blender…
I’ve been blessed and cursed with a weird set of skills (4 languages, translating fluently three of them, and making good adds because of my analytic capabilities, and very net-and IT-savy). I’ve found a company I like to work for, who’s boss is a great and the work challenging… unfortunatly I really do want to start for myself, and my business partner would really like me to work full time on game projects…so I guess I’ll have to break this to my boss sooner or later, knowing full well it’s going to be almost impossible to replace me.

And now I feel guilty and post in the off-topic forum… sorry to go all emo on you.
I think I’m going to wait untill I’m a 100% sure about the investors and the budgetting for the comming year for my own company (I need to feed myself and stuff). Before I break it to him and my loved colleagues.

If you got any advice, I’m all ears. At this point, even The Wu’s Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, have a nice day.

having your own company is too much, you will never rest and be care free for even a minute again, merry ulcers for you

someone borrow me ten dollars so i can get a bottle and forget the thought/idea of making money for a moment

An interesting way to deal with situations like this (if your boss is understanding, and values you a lot) is to work 2 or 3 days a week at your current job, and the other at your personal job.

Until such a time that you feel comfortable going full time into the game development that is.
The other method is to just do contract work for your current employeer.

Whatever you do end up doing though, make sure you leave on good terms, so that you do have the options to go back, bosses are normally pretty understanding of people who want to “explore” and try their own thing. it is a good characteristic and drive to have.

i agree with alltaken, if he is an understanding boss, then it souldnt be to much of a problem, if you can 'break it ’ to him in a positive way… :slight_smile:

Your wonderful understanding sweet boss is probably pulling in 4 euros from the company’s clients for your work for every one he’s paying you. It might take two or three people to replace you (same thing happened to me, on a return visit a year later to say hi, I discovered three people doing my former job) but your boss will hire them and either pay them less, or raise his fees.

You are right to wait until you have financing locked in. Setting up a business is rarely smooth. You’ll find yourself doing things you have no expertise in and things always take longer than you’d expect. If all you want to do is make games, make sure you budget in hiring a bookkeeper, a clerk, somebody to answer the phone and the mail, all that time-consuming stuff that you can do but can’t make games while you’re doing it.

My advice, having run a few companies of my own, is don’t. Do not start by drawing up a company etc. etc. and thinking about budgets and investors (unless you actually have personal connections to very solid investor networks, in which case I envy you). And certainly do not skip a job you feel good about. NOT YET…

First, start making games in whatever time you have. Sell them online. Do free games. Make a name and customer base. Most countries allow for such projects to fall under personal income rather than company revenue, up to a point. If you reach that point of income from your games, THEN do the whole company thing.

Software, like writing and most artistic work, has the advantage of being low-cost. You do not need investors to start, you just need to start in the minor leagues and then push forward.

I wish someone had told ME that 8 years ago :no:

Go for it.
Dreams are what we are here for.
If you feel so bad about leaving then find a good replacement for him.
And train him enough to at least get by and he will get better after some time
I am currently in persuit of my own business also
I want to open a movie theatre
I am 100 % possitive that it will be a hit because of location
but im working on money and investors first
i also have extinsive knowledge of movie theatres and the technology
Im not looking to get rich
the pure fact of having my own theatre is enough gratification
but it would be nice

Go for it mate!

Cognis has experience, and so do I. I agree with his counsel above the others. Listen to him…