I forgot to save it!

Hello.
This afternoon, I was building a 3D lighthouse that I needed for work and I finished, and dont know why… :smiley: I forgot to save it!
Then… when I realized the mistake I did, I was very surprised… why did not Blender ask for saving the current work?! I think it would be very good, because my work was not so important and it was easy to make, but there are many people that maybe it would cause such an inconvenient work.
What I am asking you, is for explaining me that (a goooood reason) and put that on the TODO list :smiley:

Hugo

I am wondering about that too. The answers might be:

1. We are all power users. We don’t do that because that is for losers only.
    2.) Blender has an Autosave function. It is not unlikely that you can find your .blend somewhere on your hd (maybe root/tmp?)

I second Hugos’ request. At least an option would be nice. Since we 2 are not the first ones to complain about this, there may be a good reason for not implementing it. I even got used to not having undo.

Hi

As nico said, Blender has an Autosave function with the standard settings
Search in your hard drive, in windows C:\windows emp or Linux /tmp directories, for files
with a number name.
In the Blender file loader press the “by date” icon, and the first one should be your
precious file
Good luck

Yes, someone may occasionally miss this or forget it.

But let say someone is starting on BIG project. This will take them several days at least. There not going to get past the first day without relizing they havn’t saved it.

Its not like you will work on it 5 hours a day for 2 months then relize, OHNOES! I didn’t save!!!

Again (someone else said this):
Were power users, we don’t want to be bothered with these petty anoyances…

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. People make mistakes. It’s human nature. Instead of trying to pretend you’re all perfect about that and everything, why not just add a simple question popup? It seems like a lot of blendys don’t like to accept the fact that they make mistakes sometimes. And besides, It couldn’t hurt to add this feature.

I just don’t get why you people are so against that and other things similar to it, like undo. :-? I think you are all in denial, and you like to think you are better than every other 3D artist, because blender doesn’t compensate for mistakes, and you think that It doesn’t need compensation, because no one makes mistakes, and all of the other 3D packages have extra unneeded stuff. This is just not true. When did ease of use become a bad thing? Think about it.

I think that blender is great and all too, but seriously people, you need to come off this superior-inferior, ease-of-use-is-for-losers attitude.

EASE OF USE IS NOT A BAD THING!!! :< :wink:

So? That’s no reason for not implementing something!
Just because you can get used to the hard, frustrating life does not make the easy life a bad one.

There should be a file called quit.blend in your temp dir (or root dir if it isn’t set). Unfortunately, if you’ve run Blender since then it will have been overwritten.

I hope it is clear that my ‘power users’ statement was a joke.

Lemmy wrote:

Instead of trying to pretend you’re all perfect about that and everything, why not just add a simple question popup? It seems like a lot of blendys don’t like to accept the fact that they make mistakes sometimes. And besides, It couldn’t hurt to add this feature.

And when they add it I just hope it reminds me to save when lightning strikes, or the cat pounces on the switch, when the cable company goes fiddling in the box, when the kids next door fly their kites or the farmer down the road hits his underground cable with the plough… again!

%<

I’ve had the same problem today… I copied an armature and object, deleted some of it’s keyframes, and had already saved twice before noticing that I had deleted the keyframes of the action, not the armature, and thus had deleted a part of the original animation too :frowning:

But something else has caught my attention: I went to look for the file in my temp folder, but my latest tempfile was created on 27 dec 2003! And I have already spent hours and hours and hours working with Blender since then, and it should write temps every 4 min!
what’s wrong??

• Bentagon

Maybe you turned temp saving off and saved it as default by accident? It’s in the Info window anyhow, so you should change it back and commit the change to your default file.

Martin

no, it’s on…

• Bentagon

We also need undo for EVERYTHING, not just mesh editing. It would make working with blender a whole lot less frustrating.

It has been announced that people are working on that. %|