I got mentioned in the course notes at SIGGRAPH!

For anyone who is curious, I was poked fun at (in a friendly way, of course) in the course notes of course #16 (the RenderMan course). I’m really excited about this (despite the fact that it was only a one-liner). :smiley:

what did they say? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, are you in San Antonio? is Saint Ton there? Have you seen anyone yet?

Let us know!

Love Ingie

DAMNIT! why are you teasing us like this? WHAT DID THEY SAY!?!

Was it in reference to that whole 3D-Accelerated-Graphics-Cards-Will-Prevent-People-From-Learning-3D-Graphics-Programming phase you went through? :wink:

Chris

DAMNIT! why are you teasing us like this? WHAT DID THEY SAY!?!

I don’t remember exactly (I don’t have the course notes with me at the moment), but it was something to the effect of “Many eons ago, before Nathan Vegdahl was born…”.

He was basicly poking fun at how young I am :slight_smile:

When I walked up to Larry Gritz and told him who I was (after the course was over), he called over Tony Apodaca, and said something to the effect of “Hey Tony, this is someone that you’ve got to meet.”

They both proceeded to tell me about how much I know about CG (for my age). I can’t remember if it was Gritz or Apodaca, but one of them said “You know more about computer graphics than most people twice your age.” And then the other one added, “Three times your age.”

(Perhaps a bit of background info would be helpful: I’m on this mailing list about 3d rendering, and both of them are as well.)
Apodaca then said “On the mailing list, I assumed that you were an adult based on the posts you were making. I was blown away when you said that you were 17 years old.”
Gritz then said that Apodaca had made fun of me in the course notes. As you can see, I’m very excited that he did :slight_smile:

BTW: Tony Apodaca gave me his business card (no, I didn’t ask for it)… he’s from Pixar… moreover, he’s the lead developer of PRMan (Pixars Renderman).

As you can see, my ego has blown up to the size of the earth because of this… and I don’t want to become cocky or pompous because this. So feel free to deflate my inflated ego every chance that you get :slight_smile:
Also, despite the fact that I know a lot about computer graphics, I still don’t know nearly as much as Gritz or Apodaca… so I still have quite a bit to learn.

Was it in reference to that whole 3D-Accelerated-Graphics-Cards-Will-Prevent-People-From-Learning-3D-Graphics-Programming phase you went through? :wink:

I remember that! That was rather silly, wasn’t it? I’ve since discovered that, in fact, the real problem is that there is a demand for “easy” 3d graphics from people who wouldn’t bother to learn it otherwise anyway. I simply got the cause-and-effect ordering wrong :wink:

(Please note that I was half joking there, and that, obviously, the real reason that 3d acceleration came about was simply to speed up real-time graphics, which in turn allowed for more scene complexity… and less control over the rendering proccess).

Hey, are you in San Antonio? is Saint Ton there? Have you seen anyone yet?

Yes, I am in San Antonio. The heat is horrible, but SIGGRAPH rocks (with the exception of the Expo’, which represents all that is evil in the industry: corperate interest, marketing, mangling of termonology, annoying salesmen/saleswomen, etc.)

Yes, Ton is here. And I got to meet him at the Blender Birds of a Feather meeting! It was so wonderful!

Yes, I’ve seen plenty of people, most of whom I don’t know :wink: But seriously, I have met the following people so far: Larry Gritz (Exluna), Tony Apodaca (Pixar), and (best of all) Ton Roosendaal (Free Blender Foundation)!

Okay…

… Nathan, you are the only person I know of who can talk to himself on a public forum… :slight_smile:
…would that be cyberbation? :smiley: :smiley:
…oh well, there is nothing better to do in Oregon… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“CurtisS”]

Okay…

… Nathan, you are the only person I know of who can talk to himself on a public forum… :slight_smile:
…would that be cyberbation? :smiley: :smiley:
…oh well, there is nothing better to do in Oregon… :P[/quote]

LOL, watch it now, he’s only 17! Keep those business cards, boy, network network network! You’ve got a great future in front of you. It’s really a gift when you have a passion for something at such a young age. My Mom and Sister would talk about that “computer stuff” all the time and put me to sleep, now look where I’m spending all my free time! LOL

Keep having fune there! Let us know what’s up once in a while, and thanks for the update!

Love INgie

Okay…

… Nathan, you are the only person I know of who can talk to himself on a public forum…
…would that be cyberbation?
…oh well, there is nothing better to do in Oregon…

Hee hee :wink: Well, right now I’m in San Antonio (SIGGRAPH lasts a week, you know).

Anyway, the reason I made three replies was because they were replies to seperate people. In other words, I’m taking advantage of multiple posts for the sake of clarity and organization :slight_smile:

LOL, watch it now, he’s only 17!

Actually, I just recently turned 18… darn, now how have to be responsible (i.e. “with rights comes responsibility”). :wink:

Keep those business cards, boy, network network network! You’ve got a great future in front of you.

I’ve generally found that the best way to network is to not try to network. I say that because I never intended to make any of these connections (and no, I’m not joking about that). Besides, I want to meet people for the sake of getting to know them, not to form a “network” of connections.
And, moreover, I don’t particularly want to work for Pixar: it’s a stagnant (spelling?) company. It’s not changing or growing or exploring. And that’s no fun. I’d much rather work for a small start-up company so that I can watch it change and grow.
I guess I’m just one of those people who is more concerned with the journey than the destination. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ll keep you guys updated about the neat things that happen to me at SIGGRAPH. I’m having a lot of fun down here!

Just having some, you asked for it after all.

Pixar would be a great learning ground to set you up for starting your own company. You can’t deny their success even if they are a bit stagnant. Technology takes a back seat to the story which is the way it should be.
Happy birthday, BTW…

Just having some, you asked for it after all.

Indeed, I did. :slight_smile:

Pixar would be a great learning ground to set you up for starting your own company.

True. However, I don’t neccessarily need to start a company in order to work for a start-up. :slight_smile:

You can’t deny their success even if they are a bit stagnant. Technology takes a back seat to the story which is the way it should be.

Well, first of all, I don’t care overly much about success (just enough money to live off of in a lower-middle-class situation is plenty… and, of course, enough to go to SIGGRAPH every year :wink: ).
Secondly, in terms of technology, Pixar is not stagnant. I was refering to how static Pixar itself is, rather than their products. Pixar is static, whereas their products change/progress at a steady rate.

I’m quite sure that in pixar you can learn a thing or two :slight_smile:

Keep the good work :slight_smile: dont lose your mind about it

I read the comment on photoshop and the gimp on your site Cessen and I was very happy cause I had the same problem recently. Photoshop gave me a slightly (can’t see it unless you really try) wrong shade of dark blue-green on the background of one of my images. And that was a .jpg, I didn’t know it was because of Photoshop though so I decided I’d have to live with it.
Gotta get the Gimp and fix it now :slight_smile:

Thanks
8) pofo

Man that is very cool two of the best in the industry man i really want to meet those guys they are the pioneers of Cg like Ed Catmull, Rob Cook and Loren Carpenter Whew! you lucky you! :stuck_out_tongue: