I HATE the new forum (More each day)

(zanzio) #183

Well to me it makes better use of the extra space that you have on the right side of the screen. I don’t know, maybe it doesn’t look as bad when your monitor has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #184

If you feel strongly about this you can contribute here and see if people agree with you:

(English is not my native language) #185

Hi. I do not hate the new forum, just I did not know where exactly to post this message :grinning:

Campbell requested here:
Edit: I delete the link, it is no longer necessary.

if a moderator could split the discussion about GUI customization methods in another thread.
Thanks.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #186

Best to use the ‘flag/other’ option for this:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #190

28 posts were split to a new topic: Slow page loading / spinning loading indicator

(AdeptusT) #209

It suggested to reply to others instead of you. That sounds more like think police than DDoS safety.

(Felix Kütt) #210

Oh, that message, yeah. Everybody hates that message. Some of the regulars on level1techs just casually swear at it every time it shows up, especially in the lounge which during the most active parts of the day becomes a literal live chat room.

Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied 3 times to @AdeptusT in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message.

Oh, sod off.

(Gumboots) #211

ROFLMAO. I’d be swearing at the screen if it tried that one on me. TBH a lot of the supposedly cool stuff in Discourse seems to have been coded for a target audience of three year olds. Which is fine if you actually are three, but I haven’t been three for some time now.

(Gumboots) #212

Hey: fun thought. Given that the overlord has realised he can edit any text strings in admin, maybe he can be convinced to make Discourse stop acting like a kindergarten teacher.

Edit: This could be made quite entertaining. It should be easy to change that message so that the app randomly lectures people on the importance of changing their underpants regularly. Bonus points if it does it in Estonian.

(Felix Kütt) #213

Except if it would be up to me it would serve the underpants-gnomes business plan, but in Estonian.

(colkai) #214

Yeah, that’s the “play nice, make sure to talk to everyone, we don’t wan’t little timmy to feel excluded”. Comes to summat when the forum bots start telling you who you should be responding to. All hail our mighty overlords.

(Gumboots) #215

Not long enough. We need something with more substance. :smiley:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #216

I’ve moved the loading speed/latency posts to a new topic:

(AdeptusT) #217

Interesting, Discourse decided middle click is new window (clicking the link to that other thread). The browser said no (popup prevention, and the default here is new tab). Could sites stop overriding user’s choice?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #218

Discourse doesn’t do that; middle click opens in a new tab for me.

(Gumboots) #219

MMB does new tab for me. On Pale Moon at the moment, but should be the same in FF anyway. Not sure about others.

(AdeptusT) #220

Only (so far) the links in thread boxes fail with the pop-up warning (both links, to thread and to category). Looking at the Profile > Interface settings, I have “Open all external links in a new tab” off (did I change it? maybe. I would prefer a “Stop fucking around with browser config, TYVM”). Changed it (even if those are internal), same thing, any link seems to work per browser configuration, except the thread boxes (via menu I can pick tabs or windows fine).

(Gumboots) #221

Which browser are you on?

(AdeptusT) #222

FF ESR (= 52).
No big issue, just weird.

(Gumboots) #223

Just tried it on the latest FF, and the default pop-up blocker blocks those links. In which case it’s not Discourse overriding browser settings, but the browser assuming the new tab request is a pop-up.

Funnily enough, Pale Moon doesn’t do this even though it’s based on the older Firefox code.