I HATE the new forum (More each day)

(AFWS) #142

yeah, this is something I never figured out either.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #143

Just highlight the text you want to quote and click the ‘quote’ button:

(AFWS) #144

[quote=“bartv, post:143, topic:1109751”]
Just highlight the text you want to quote and click the ‘quote’ button:
[/quote] testing

Edit:
That didn’t work. Quote stayed as text.

(Ace Dragon) #145

Worked for me when looking at the post preview at least.

Edit, it works for me, click it once and make sure you don’t change anything in the top line of the quote block. Also start your text on a line below the quote block just to be sure.

(Jason van Gumster) #146

I’d like to address this directly. Please remember that BlenderArtists is not associated with the Blender Foundation or the Blender Institute at all. This site is run, managed, and funded independently. Ton couldn’t put developers on this site he he wanted to (though, as noted in the CSS test threads that folks are making, we’re more than happy to take suggestions from anyone).

Fweeb, you looked better on the old forum avatar, here you’re someway round-head, an that “ba” over your mustaches do hurt.:smiley:

Jokes aside, take this as plead the cause of a bigger, squared avatar image.

paolo

(Dantus) #148

You would like to have a survey and what would you do when you have the result? The old forum doesn’t exist anymore because it became painful to maintain. What if the result shows that everyone prefers the old one?
What the long time members are telling really doesn’t matter. This new platform exists since a few days only and plenty of small corrections have already been made. How about getting used to it at least a little bit and getting a feeling for how you can use it in the way you want instead of blindly complaining?
There are of course some weaknesses compared to the old one, but it could as well be that you are getting used to this other way. Let’s give it some time and let it settle.

The Blender community is not going to disappear because of this forum! It works remarkably well on the technical side. And the whole transfer of the old data went really smooth. I expected way more issue than what I hava seen. They really did a fantastic job on it. I am not asking anyone to praise them, but let’s at least be fair and try to use this forum for some time before complaining about each single thing that is different compared to the old one.

(mziskandar) #149

I experienced discourse in libsdl.

Comparing to BA, libsdl is tiny, short thread, not more than 20 post per thread and not many videos or images in a thread.

Logged in but not logged in bugs exist in libsdl too.

To get me to this post 146, took me awhile… with lots of loading…

(Jason van Gumster) #150

HA! Guess I need to go in and tweak my avatar image a bit. :slight_smile:

(BeerBaron) #152

There’s a ton of things that annoyed me about the old forums, so I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and say I like the new forum. I certainly don’t like every bit of it, but listing all the faults would be moot.

That was inevitable. People don’t really hate the new forum itself, they hate change and getting adapted to it.

It’s like the New Coke: It tested better than the old one in focus groups, but the thought of having it replaced drove people mad.

Even people that would in theory like the new forum don’t like change. The people that don’t care aren’t going around telling everyone, because they don’t care. Therefore, the bulk of the feedback is negative to neutral.

I don’t think think so. Blenderartists just got itself an entire new avenue of users posting about how they dislike Discourse!

(Joey Blendhead) #153

I’m not a fan of the new site myself… Too much like Blender Cookie’s support thing for one, and it’s just too confusing overall. I’m sure if I spent the time to try to understand everything about the site, I would come to enjoy it, but I’m merely a lurker for the most part. I visit to look for work, or see other people’s renders occasionally.
That said, my lack of more regular presence really voids my opinion, as the site should be shaped according to the wishes of it’s more dedicated users.

(pafurijaz) #154

I have not read everything, I am usually not inclined to change, but I love the new forum, it is superior.

(cadaei) #155

I like the new site! Looks great on mobile is a nice feature.

Well, sucks to be you,

The new forum is great

It just needs some getting used to.

Plus I just discovered, it’s a PWA, you can use it on your phone as an app

(Rico) #157

for me the new functionality is pretty cool. the slider on the left is an infinitely superior way to get to specific posts. much better than having to click on little icons at the top and bottom. The way you can scroll posts but still keep your comment visible is also nice. and the comment preview is great! no complaints so far

(bhoot) #158

It looks great. Thanks a lot for all the hard work!

(Zsolt) #159

I second this. I was wary of clicking any of the buttons underneath the posts, because of a possible instant action. And they do not look like buttons at all. This applies generally to the somewhat weird look and feel of the new site: there is no visual indication if something is a button (no border, no background color other than the site background, even grayed out) or link (no underline) or just plain text.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #160

Suggestions for improving these buttons are welcome, preferably as custom css themes. Tag your work with #custom-theme for inclusion in collaboration and discussion!

Of course this applies to visual styling only, behavioural changes can only be added by the Discourse team.

(AFWS) #161

Starting on a line below the quote works. I starting to add a quote and noticed if you do type on the same line, it does turn to just text without the quote box.

@bartv
Is there anything that can be done to that? Like maybe not allow typing on the same line as quote or something?

(Kologe) #162

Well get me signed up for the league of hatred, please.
The infinite scrolling sucks, why is everyone so eager to fumble this into anything on the web, just cause some ass-kissing-platforms like twitter might have it? But well, I might maybe even get used to it, eventually…

On another note, pleas tell me I can somehow stop it from trying to ‘suggest’ topics which ‘interest me’ and preferably also disable all the (just as retarded and non-functional) tracking-stuff. Has it ever worked for anyone, actually?

greetings, Kologe