I have a lot of questions, and you might have an answer to one of them!

I have several questions, most of which are about animation (so I posted in this thread). I hope you can answer some of them with some helpful information.
So here they are:

1. Do you know a quick and easy tutorial for making a realistic sun (preferably moving, the gas)?
  2. What is the best way to create a flash, ending with a small, glowing circle/sphere?
  3. Is it possible to make an animation appear on an object, i.e. a curtain closes and it zooms out to show that it is on the back of a cube (as if it is a TV) (also, the ending is allowed to be just white/black, so no complicated curtain or anything, if that helps)?
  4. Is it possible to texturize/color certain faces of objects? If yes, how?
  5. How can I make an object (sphere) follow a path or object/circle (so that it looks like a solar system or atom)?
  6. What is the best way to create a shockwave affect, possibly with ripples, like on water?
  7. Can I make an object turn into liquid, and then fire/smoke, or do I need to use a new/copy of the object?
  8. What is the best way to make smoke turn into a solid object (seemingly ice)?

Extra:
· What are ‘scenes’ used for, what can you do with them?
· What is the best/easiest way to make an object/objects appear and disappear?
· Please include any links with tutorials about: making a sun, creating a flash effect creating paths for objects, texturing/coloring with Blender, making a ripple effect, using scenes and using the physics engine in Blender, and general animation!
Almost anything will help regarding any of these subjects/questions.

Again, I hope you have an answer to at least one of my questions, and thank you for reading and possibly answering.

I think this is the best thread to post it in, if not, sorry.

Best Regards,

Ray Green! :eyebrowlift2::eyebrowlift2::eyebrowlift2:

Please answer with anything remotely related to any of these questions, anything will help…
Even stuff about nodes in animations or the physics engine…

1. I don’t know of a good tutorial. My guess would be to use particles.
  2. The compositor is probably easiest. Even just resizing a sphere could work in some cases though.
  3. You can render out the animation and make it a video, and then apply that video as a texture onto the TV. Then just animate the camera pulling back from the TV.
  4. Try this tutorial
  5. Try this tutorial - rather than path like he does, use add->curve->circle
  6. Dynamic Paint or the Wave Modifier 7. I’m not sure.
  7. I don’t know of a trivial way to achieve that effect. Probably would just need some old fashioned ingenuity. Model the solid, add the smoke. Do some animation and compositing to Blend them together. That sort of thing.

Extra:

You can use scenes for games and their ui that you put in another scene and lay over the first, or if you want to have a dungeon in a game, you can put that in another scene and switch (just examples, there are many more!).

To hide an object, select it and press H or press M to move it to another layer.

Hope I could help a bit.
Nepomuk

Thank you both! Really helped!
Thank you for all the information and I hope it will all work!

Again, anyone who knows of any kind of tutorials relating to this, feel free to post, everything helps!

Thanx again,

Ray Green

Some tutorial sites to check are :

CGCookie
BlenderGuru
BlenderNerd
BlenderSushi
Blendtuts

There is always just checking YouTube and Vimeo too.

Ok, cool. Thanx again.
Yeah, i know the Blenderguru… he’s good

I think you should go through blendercookie.com and blenderguru.com and watch anything that seems even remotely valuable. And everything that involves compositing. You’ll figure a lot of things out much much faster than if we try to explain it here, in clunky text-and-screenshots. And… try those valuable things on your own, even if you don’t follow the tutorials step-by-step!

I’ll go through the points… some of it may not sound very beginner-friendly, but the start-stretch is best covered by tutorials. And practice.
Also, I’m not a professional and pretty new at the Blender-thing myself. But at least I have a pretty fresh “getting into Blender”-perspective.

1. I think I’ve seen some kind of applicable tutorial out there, but can’t find it at the moment.

2. I’d say a combination of basic object/color animation and compositing. The Blenderguru tutorials will tell you a lot about blurry and glowy things. Most end-results there are still images, but it’s mostly useful for animation/movie compositing as well. It’s mainly about getting in the mindset of “cheating” as much as possible:)

3. Using rendered animations as textures is no problem. For the zoom-out, that’s probably an easier solution than a compositing-based one.

4. Select the faces, select the material slot, press Assign. It may take a while before the standard material/texture slot system clicks, but from there it’s powerful and fairly straightforward.

5. I’d recommend the Follow Path-constraint. With my current build it won’t give any automatic animation for some reason, but I’d recommend Fixed Position and Offset-keyframes anyway.
    You probably want to get some basic familiarity with the Dope Sheet and Graph Editor, to manage your animations.
    It may be wise to go into User Preferences -> Editing and change “New F-Curve Defaults” from Bezier to Linear. Smooth Bezier-animations are often great, but until you learn to really control them with the mentioned editors… they may trip you up. You certainly don’t want atom/planetary cycles to slow down/start up at every revolution.

Another solution is to parent your objects to empties (or other objects) at the center, and just rotate those around. But only if completely circular motion is acceptable, unless you do some fancy combo-animation to offset the circle.
A good thing about the parent-solution is that a path can only be followed 0-100%, then the object has to jump back to the starting point. Rotation-based motion can go around and around…

1. In most cases, I’d say the Wave Modifier.

2. “turning X into Y” mostly involves replacing it with something completely different (like a bunch of particles, for example), so the original/copy-terms don’t really work very well. Some of this swapping is built into Blender’s tools, and some would be clever user solutions.
    For best effect, it would probably involve a lot of -

3. Compositing. And sneaky trickery in general.

Extra:
A: Scenes are basically files within the file. Every Scene can have completely different render settings/ geometry/ animation, but be interlinked in some clever ways.

This is my most common usage of different Scenes:
I have a 3d-Scene, to model/animate/render my image sequences. But I also have a “sequence scene”, with render-settings to turn the image-sequences into .avi-files. No need to save or swap settings, or open different files. I just use the “3d-scene” in most contexts, but use the “sequence”-scene in the Video Sequence Editor.
An example of connections between scenes: You can have two scenes with completely different geometry, and different cameras… but let tha cameras share the same animation data. There’s no import/export or original/copy… the two cameras simply point to the same animation data within the .blend.
This system has a lot of potential for clever solutions, but as you might expect… also a lot of potential for confusion, if you overcomplicate things.

The default setting is that the Scene is manually set for all the different layouts (the ones you switch between with ctrl+L/R arrow), so you basically skip between different “files” from moment to moment. I prefer it that way, but you can change this behavior in Preferences->Interface->Global Scenes.

Oh, and you can use different render-engines for different Scenes. So if you’d want to use Blender Internal for the smoke, but Cycles for the ice… you could solve it with a combination of scenes. Use the mentioned shared-camera-animation-trick, and use input-nodes from both scenes in the compositor. Just… trying this in your first Blender-project might be slightly overkill:P

B: I tend to keyframe object visibility, using the eye/camera icons in the Outliner.
The eye-icon is the same as using H/alt-H to hide/unhide - a great shortcut, but remember it doesn’t affect render-inclusion!
When editing objects, I mostly use the division-key on the numpad to temporarily isolate them. The layer system is nice, but it takes some brainpower to remember what those different dots represent.

Finally… watch out so you don’t spend more time with tutorials and forum-reading, than wrestling with the software. The solutions you come up with yourself may be better than the documented ones… maybe they didn’t even exist in the ancient 2-month old iteration of Blender.

Thank you once again. Some good new information and I understood most of it, the rest I will probably understand further along the way.

Anyway, thanks for the info and suggestions, I will try to fix the problems myself if the tutorials don’t help.

I hope you guys will post if I have any further questions (which is very likely) :).