I have no idea what to do on blender. help.

it is a long time I didn’t do anything on blender.
I have no imagination.
everytime i start i quit without saving because it looks bad.
the only way that i can make somthing good is by having a model but i con’t find anything.
I treid to draw but i am not very good

how do you people do when you start a new project?

Welcome to the fun world of “blenderblock” :frowning:

Nothing I can suggest to help, apart from taking a break from blender and trying other things like photography etc.

In my case at least I have a fear of making something which turns out bad, which means I don’t blend (or try drawing for that matter), which means that I won’t blend (or draw), thus continuing the cycle.

Wish I could help you…

Brian

That’s a common problem. The solution is to do things that stimulate your imagination. It’s different for different people. TV stimulates my imagination sometimes but books do it better.

Every model starts out bad assuming you don’t use a pre-existing model. If you’re not good at perspective or whatever, try doing some drawing. What I find helps is if you try to copy other people’s styles first so that you get a feel for how you do things well. If you keep doing the same things wrong, you might pick up the habit. I know grown adults who draw like kids.

There is a Blender model repository. I think it’s on Blender.org

Try doing technical drawing. It’s all just measuring with rulers and things. You don’t have to be much of an artist to make something that looks right. Then when you get a feel for drawing stuff in the right proportions, move onto drawing without measuring.

Have a good concept. For this you need to develop your imagination. Possibly look at the contest forums for inspiration. Optionally draw out your concept on paper starting with technical stuff. Then model your concept.

thanks you both very much for your help

rndrdbrian: I guess we have the same problem :frowning:

osxrules: thanks for you good replie.

There is a Blender model repository. I think it’s on Blender.org

I’ll take a look there.

That’s a common problem. The solution is to do things that stimulate your imagination. It’s different for different people. TV stimulates my imagination sometimes but books do it better.

it acctualy it helps me. when i go to movies especially one made in 3D it inspirs me but when i get home I open blender think and close it after moving the basic squar around a bit.
It might be lazzyness!!!

well thanks

But how do you call the things that can be used as a background when working with a side and a front view?

I find it very helpful to sharpen my blender skills when I get blocked by doing tutorials. It keeps me disciplined and challenged so that when I do feel inspired i am better equipped to blend.

Don’t focus so much on the tool.

Analogy:
Many times fellow students will sit down at the computer to write a computer program for their assignment. They begin to type and after awhile ask me for help. I glance over their code and it’s obvious they have no idea what they’re doing.

Why?

Without a definite, predefined plan of attack, you’ll not get anywhere. The computer won’t write the program for you. It’s too stupid.

End analogy.
Blender won’t make things happen. You have to have an idea, a concept, a story: well-defined and pre-finished, before even starting Blender to make it happen. Being (un)able to draw has nothing to do with saying: I want my character to have a big bouncy tummy and giant hands and feet and a round nose. He should have an old 1970’s high-collar button down shirt and bell bottoms. With sequins. His name is Disco Stu. He’ll walk out and make a couple of disco moves. The disco lights will flash when he does a split and when he poses (arm up, s-shape body posture, on toes), and when he spins to give the stop-motion effect. When he’s done he’ll point and wink at the camera, and prance off to stage left.

Having at least that down, you can begin to refine (through simple drawings) what Stu will look like, and through a sequence of stick drawings, interspersed with the occasional non-stick drawing (for the posed parts), of how he’ll move. Every three or four drawings get a blue pencil and indicate where the lights and highlights are.

Now open Blender and you’ll have no problem.

Hope this makes sense.

hummm…
that is a good idea thanks

ow didn’t see your post Duoas.

well yours is usfull too thanks.
i guess i never took enought time to think.
i’ll try all of these.

thanks all of you.

but how do you call the things that you put as background as a modle sometimes it has a side and front view?

Most of my projects don’t start out as projects at all. Sometimes I’ll just be looking around my room and then spot something that makes me think, “Hmmm… I wonder if I can model that.” So I try it. Usually, I end up starting over once or twice, but I don’t let myself give up. If you don’t let yourself give up, you’ll never fail. I promise you that.

Something that helps with the creative process is to make up a theme. Go through some of the old WC topics and see what you can come up with. Or just randomly open up a dictionary, point to a word on the page and then force yourself to come up with a scene concept that relates to that word. Seriously, this is where your inspiration will come from.

Just model something random like an alarm clock or a mailbox. After that, more ideas will come and your scene will become more complex. Try it!

but how do you call the things that you put as background as a modle sometimes it has a side and front view?

Just load the View --> Background image with a picture to (1) have something to look at and (2) something that has a rough shape you can trace.

For front and side, etc., you can load both into a single image and align your object to the image in each view, or just have multiple 3D View spaces open, each with its own background image.

It only helps to extrapolate a 2D model into the 3D model you with to make.

I got the inspiration for my squid project (link in my sig) from a WC months ago about “Strange Pets” or something like that. Another thing I like to do, and I already have a list of possible Blender projects built up, is to think of common phrases and put a humorous spin on them.

(Non-Blender) Example:

I heard someone say something about a “figment” of your imagination. I played with the word for a second in my head and thought up a new idea for a dessert: fig-mints. I got the stuff I thought I would need at the supermarket and tried it, but accidentially got the wrong kind of mint so it wasn’t so good. :x

But thats the kind of thing I find helps me think up ideas.

You can also add two planes and UV map the reference to it and set them to view texture mode. That way you can see them no matter how you are oriented in the 3D window.

-Laurifer

it all depends on what you are trying to achieve and why you downloaded blender in the first case

it would be helpful to know this sort of stuff first before we can offer you a solution to blenderblock. In truth its unlikely that blenderblock is your major ailment, but instead a mixture of afflictions which afffect people meddling with creative media. These include:

a) Creative disphoria - if this is your major symptom, I suggest you follow oxman’s advice as he is likely to offer the most most helpful guidance imo. Creative disphoria is frequently associated with dysfunctionally high expectations. It frequently follows the following sequence:
i) Watching a decent 3d movie / having a brilliant visual idea
ii) having a thought that is similar to “I can do / make that”
iii) Downloading / buying a 3d software package
iv) … [see “technical disphoria”]
v) Getting … bored / frustrated / pissed off

b)Techical disphoria
i) Getting bored / frustrated / pissed off with all those buttons

My best advice, if you are serious in asking the question, is to spend time doing the following:
a) Reflect on what you want to achieve
b) Break the overall task into simpler elements
c) Aim to master the individual elements through practice / asking questions / reading the manual /following tutorials [Do your best to get a balance between these]
+
d) Follow tutorials even if they seem to be irrelevant.
+
e) Allow what occurs to shape your initial ideas
+
f) Of equal importance to all the above… discipline, patience and persistence.

thank you all of you now i thing i’ll never stop blending :smiley:

so you should see somthing from me soon if i have enaugh time.