I have some questions on detailing a model and other questions

I finished up my model recently and have been tweaking it out to make sure its ok. This is gonna be used in a game and is my first actual model I manage to finish. But anyways onto my question… I want to know if there is any possible way to add detail to my model without having to sculpt? I’m not looking for so much but like I might add some light folds in the clothing maybe and my model is more of an anime-ish type character so I know theres not much I can do with the face and skin since I’m not going for realism.

So here are just some questions I have:

-Is there anyway to add detail to my model without having to sculpt/retopo/bake normals?

-My character model has a hood and hair thats separate from the rest of the body which is all together and the tunic is together with the body. Can I still import all this into Unity 3d without a problem even if they are not connected as one whole mesh?

-can I use programs like photoshop/gimp to add some details to my character?

side questions:

-When should I start adding bones to my model? after texturing it or does it not matter?

-When you texture a model, you can use the uv grid thing. Do all the squares need to be the same size throughout the mesh?

-do I have to create terrain in unity 3d and then just add assets to build the whole scene? (game is side scrolling 3d)

please if I can get these answered that would be great and I can have some sort of idea what to do next. The model is pretty basic and I want to avoid having to sculpt some detail in because I would have to retopo and all that which will take a lot of time and I’m trying to get something up as soon as I can for an alpha.

skipping the unity questions as i don’t use it , i can’t answer

Is there anyway to add detail to my model without having to sculpt/retopo/bake normals?

For a game asset, if you don’t want to rework the model, making details will be the job of the texture and normal map (and for a normal map, you can try to turn your texture into a normal map with other tools as a workaround)

-can I use programs like photoshop/gimp to add some details to my character?

Adding detail on texture is a job for this kind of application yes, both photoshop and gimp have plugins to generate normal maps from images/textures (here’s one for Gimp ) if you’re aiming for that.

When should I start adding bones to my model? after texturing it or does it not matter?

It shouldn’t matter, unwrapping and texturing does not involve bones, armatures or weighting and can be done without influencing the other

-When you texture a model, you can use the uv grid thing. Do all the squares need to be the same size throughout the mesh?

No, all that matter is for you to make a good unwrap so you can work comfortably to create a texture.

The model is pretty basic and I want to avoid having to sculpt some detail in because I would have to retopo.

you can just duplicate the model, and use Dyntopo to sculpt the duplicate, then bake the sculpted detail on your original model , this way no need of retopo.
sculpting is a great way to obtain good normal maps and more

Hey thanks a ton Sanctuary, I really appreciate the help. I think I might just add some detail to my model before I texture it. The only problem I have now is if its possible to export the material colors I have with the UV map. I’m just trying to think about how I will know where certain parts of the hands are or the clothing and such. Not as a whole but I’m talking about like lets say under the sleeve of a shirt it has a shadow or within a crease it would be a bit darker and such. I know there is texture paint but I’m not sure If that is what I’m looking for. Any idea how I can figure this out? Thanks again for the reply.

Yes, to export the material colors, you can do it like that (works in Blender Internal, i don’t know if it can be done in Cycles as i don’t use it but i guess it can as Cycles recieved baking functionalities recently)

1 - after you have unwrapped your mesh, select your whole mesh and in the UV Editor Click on New to assign a new image to it

by example here i assigned a black colored image ( 1024x1024 but you can choose higher or lower if you need)

2 - Go to the Render panel and on the bottom look into the Bake tab , set the Bake mode to “Texture”, you can increase a bit the Margin (by default it’s 16 but i usually put it to 32) , you can leave “Clear” enabled or disable it if you want to keep the color of the Image you added (or keep whatever is on it if you loaded an image instead of creating a new one)
http://i.imgur.com/OhK7x9p.jpg

3 - Click on the Bake button (the one above the Bake Mode : Texture) and wait until it’s finished in the UV editor you should see your material colors baked into the texture

Now in the UV Editor click on Image -> Save As and save the texture newly created

Thanks once again and thank you for the steps as well. I’ll def. have to do that when I properly fix out my UV map. Btw if i fix my UV layout because it looks bad and I need to make room, when I bake the colors will it bake well onto the UV map or should I not move anything in the layout? what I mean is if I change the UV layout and move things and bake, will it retain the color in the right areas?

Also this is what I have as my UV layout so far, do you think its good enough? the hair is gonna cover the head. I haven’t unwrapped the hair and hood because they are separate from the rest of the mesh. The UV map isn’t final but is just to for show.