I have to make a chess board and peices

Hey guys i have a school assignment where i have to make a chest board and pieces ( Cartoon themed , im choosing to do adventure time themed pieces) and i need some help making it look good (modelling and texturing) ive only ever done low poly game models in blender and i would like some advice on making a nice high poly board and pieces and possibly texturing advice aswell (reflective board, etc).

Thank you all and have a good day/night :slight_smile:

Hello,

What you are asking for requires a number of steps that can be done in any number of ways. You may need to be more specific on which particular part you need help on. Forgive me, I don’t know how much you actually know about the process, so I’ll just explain how I’d go about it…

I don’t imagine you would need a very high-poly board. That whole part can be covered with a subdivided plane or very thin cube. You can select individual faces and give them their black and white reflective material properties, respectively.

Regarding the pieces it’s always best obviously to start from low to high-poly. You said you already have experience creating low-poly meshes for games, so I’ll leave that workflow to you. When the low-poly models are finished, this is then where I’d begin the unwrapping process. Once that’s done, you’ll want to subdivide your model in order to be able to add more detail to it. You may want to look into Blender’s sculpting tools. They are very easy to understand and fun to play with.

From there, it’s just a matter of baking your high-poly mesh details onto your low-poly mesh. So make sure you have both versions saved separately. There are a number of different programs that are able to generate these normal and bump maps for you. Texturing from there is just a matter of applying materials to your UV maps.

Sorry if any of this is redundant to you. Like I said, you may need to be a little more specific on which parts you actually need help on because Modeling, Unwrapping, Sculpting, and Texturing are each very comprehensive topics in their own rights.