I just installed the Kubuntu 5.10 DVD

when I installed ubuntu, I got synaptic as upgrading/updating tool

as far as I know you can upgrade ubuntu 5.10 to also run KDE
just first install ubuntu, and then use your kubuntu cd to add kde stuff to your ubuntu install

I also tried to install only from the kubuntu cd, but this required a lot more tinkering to get things working the way i wanted it,
and the uprade/updating tool in Kubuntu is something else which I found a lot less practical then synaptic

I read somewhere that the 5.10 Kubuntu release was not a complete independent release yet, that is was very much linked to Ubuntu and that this would change in the next version.

greets

I’m not at home so can’t check with my ubuntu pc, but if you have already tried changing the apt sources file to read:

deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger - Release i386 (20051012)]/ breezy main restricted universe

(and maybe multiverse as well for any closed source etc stuff)

then it may be worth looking into the command:

apt-cdrom

If you type at the terminal: man apt-cdrom
you should get a lot of information on the command. It allows you to add CD’s to the repositories and may rescan your DVD and update the package list.

After doing this you may also want to type in:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender
(or any other package you want installed, you don’t need to type in the .deb after the package name with apt-get)

But I’ve not got a DVD (being connected to the internet) if this doesn’t help post here and if I remember to check this thread I’ll have another look into your problem when I’m back home.

Daniel