I know y'all are gonna hate me...

I am VERY new to (but already in love with) Blender, but I have a question that is going to seem like a no-brainer, but I can’t find the answer to it at all.
Here is the dilemma - I am a Mac user, and while i have been able to find the answers to some of the “which button to do what” kind of questions, I have one that I can’t find an equivalent for…
when SCALING, there are times when you want to constrain the scale to one axis - the manual says you hold down the Middle Mouse Button while in “S” (for scale), but as my Mac set-up doesn’t have a MMB, I am stuck scaling proportionally every time. I found a link about faking it with a one-button Mac mouse, using control-shift-alt to replace MMB, but this doesn’t seem to work. Am I missing something? doing it in the wrong order? Any ideas from fellow Mac-Blender fiends would be greatly appreciated.

you can use the X,Y or Z buttons to restrict movment, rotation or scaling

Use option-click for middle-click. (Note then you shouldn’t hold down S when scaling-- generally don’t hold any key down).

Investing in a mouse with at least a RMB is pretty useful. (I use a laptop, so especially with me)

In general:

Command(Apple) Click = RMB
Option Click = MMB

Thanks, fellows. I’ll give 'em a shot.