I love these materials.. help me create them

Hi!

• https://dribbble.com/shots/6024927-Rabbit

• https://dribbble.com/shots/10090283-Valentines-Day

I’ve always loved these materials, but not sure how to make them / they have a plastic diffuse feel that I’ve liked for a while. Any thoughts on how to make them?

Thanks in advance

Noted there’s a lot going on at the minute but anyone? :slightly_smiling_face:

I looks like a basic plastic shader to me, but with some subsurface scattering.
You could also try instead mixing (never add) translucancy, but that gives the idea that the mesh is hollow , as far as I experienced.

I’ve seen some theories about the subsurface scatter, but for me it works as follows; Open the subsurf in the principled shader completely. More important is to adjust the radius. Give them all the same value (unless you want to give the scattering a color). The higher the radius, the more scatter, or the softer the material looks. For regular sized objects, I use often 0.2 , but it depends how thick your mesh is. Subsurf doesn’t make the object/mesh look like hollow, in contrast to translucancy.
So if you go for thin plastic use translucancy.
The heart looks a bit hollow to me, not sure about it though.

1 Like

Most of that quality, comes from the lights/environment setup… The materials look rather simple.

As described above @Secrop and @Peetie, the shader is simple, sss full, a little less roughness and a little emission. The light is also a standard 3 point setup.

1 Like

@Peetie @MarioPeper thank you, that helps - also @Secrop noted re lighting.

I’m not an expert, I usually have no idea how nodes work. I only know things from experience.
I know that for plastic/clay/rubber materials people used to use mix shader with white Glossy mixed with Fresnel factor. In some of those materials you may also need to use SSS. Also so that the material does not have a very smooth surface you could use noise with Bump effect.
Also something important is Color Management, you use Filmic with no high contrast Look modes.
Here’s a quick try:

Clay_plastic.blend (770.7 KB)

@YAFU this is incredibly helpful. :+1:

Consider using fresnel compensated for roughness if this would be a library type material with free interaction. Since the roughness here is 0.3 it wont be noticeable. At 0.5 you can barely see it. But at 0.7 it will be prominent. If left ungrouped, it’s only two fresnel nodes mixed with roughness value, where one of them is driven by the geometry/incoming normal.

Do you have any examples/visuals for this? I’m learning. I’ve loaded the blend file from @YAFU and it seemed near perfect in matching to original images I think.

My recommendation is that you learn the technical thing about nodes with people who know about it, like @CarlG . That is why I made the clarification in my previous message.
About my quick example, I have no idea about the technical part of the nodes. But you playing with Glossy Roughness, Layer Weight - Color Ramp and Fresnel node values, you can possibly get a wide variety of materials that you showed in example.

With low roughness values default fresnel works fine and I wouldn’t really worry about it. It’s only when you push the roughness to 0.5 and beyond you will get a nasty glowing halo effect from the glossy node as it’s pushed all the way to white. If you compare with Principled BSDF which has this accounted for already, you can see they compare very well at grazing angles when roughness is high. Shown here is how I do it, and example uses 0.7 roughness:

Not shown here, but many but not all materials also has something called micro roughness. There you would lower the roughness toward grazing angles, but I usually run it through the rough fresnel anyway. You should be able to observe this behavior in many household items - see if the reflection becomes sharper at grazing angles. Simplest way for this is just layer weight/facing run through a color ramp or RGB curves node.

1 Like

Anyway, I think the glowing halo can be “artistically” desired in some circumstances. And in reality I guess we can use it to easily emulate without complicated nodes velvet or peach skin materials (especially in Eevee where Velvet node is not useful)

@portthames , on my node if you replace Diffuse BSDF with Principled BSDF with high roughness value, you probably have a much wider range to create different types of materials.