I 'm new to Blender

Hello everybody my name is Marcell 16years old and come from Hungary
I just started to use Blender (since 3months)and my question is how can i get startet?
1)What should I learn first,what will help me to get better?
2)Is it enough to watch tutorials on youtube or blender guru or is it worth it to “buy” tutorials or join this online semesters or what ever they are called?
3)And the last question how did you get started?Can you give me a tip what i should avoid etc.

Hey, well welcome to Blender :slight_smile:

1. It all depends on what you want to accomplish with Blender, my tip (which also answers 3) is that you should just do some tutorials that fully create a scene or object, Blenderguru really is great for this, it’s what I started with and have never looked back.
    As for 2) I haven’t actually paid a single penny for tutorials or help sessions or anything, this makes me sound like a grumpy cheapskate, but I have donated to the sites through various means, I just feel that because Blender is a free software, the help should be free also. Admittedly some tutorials out there are completely professional works which, yes, are worth money. BUT if you have literally just begun I’d really wouldn’t recommend spending money on them at the moment, because they require a fair amount of basic knowledge, I recommend just looking around YouTube at some tutorials(not advertising my channel at all :p) and also check out the great stuff on blender cookie and blenderguru.
    If you ever need any help, there’s an email on my YouTube channel and I’d be more than happy to lend a hand, maybe make a video, because chances are, if you’ve got a problem, hundreds of people will have had it or will come across it.
    Good luck with it all :slight_smile:

Hi, I welcome you as well. But lets get to your questions:

1). The very first thing you should learn is the UI (user interface), this is basic when learning any new software. After that the sky is the limit on what type of art you wish to achieve.

2). I personally have yet paid any money for tutorials, I have bought a few books. However most of my knowledge is reading online and watching videos. But it does not stop there. I do the tutorials, and then I experiment with everything, so I have a better understanding on why a certain thing works the way it does.

3). I got started with 2.3, but I did not do much with it. Wasnt till 2.49 was out that I touched Blender again. At that time, I would only play with it every now and then. I stayed with 2.49 for a long while, it wasnt till 2.59 came out that I decided to upgrade. At that moment I started doing tutorials, and learning. However I did not get aggressive on learning till about a year and half to two years ago. I typed all this so I can tell you this, you will only get out of Blender on what you put in.

Cheers

If you want to spend the money on the books and DVDs feel free to and support those that created it but it isn’t necessary. Blender has a great community of artists and creators that are willing to share knowledge for free. I’m fairly new to Blender as well but it seems the best way is to check out some tutorials and try some projects on your own as well, when you get stuck on something just post and ask and people will jump to the rescue. It really doesn’t matter what you create or how you do it as long as you are having fun creating in Blender.

Just keep practicing, study, practice, study, practice. When you feel you’re repeating too much (i.e. approaching a new .blend the same way you were 3 months ago) it means its time to study again. Try to learn every viewport not just the 3D view.

Try to avoid making HELP ME threads. Use the search forum’s search function instead. Learn correct terms such as origin point and remove doubles.

I’m a Citizen subscriber on BlenderCookie, and I think it’s very much worth it. Is BlenderGuru’s stuff worth it? I got the Nature Academy since I wanted to get better at making nature, and I think it was worth it since Andrew Price did a great job taking a lot of the mystery out of the process. I also got the “Humane Rigging” DVD from Blender.org and “Compositing in Blender” from BlenderCookie to learn more about those particular pieces.

It was worth it.

blender is a very “complete” program and can do just about anything you can imagine!!
so start slow and learn some modeling, once you feel confident in most (some you’ll never need) tools
move on to uv mapping an texturing
along the way you will learn the UI and the terms used
then you need to decide what direction you want to go in
high poly photo realistic or low poly game engine stuff
by then you should know all the basics and can dive into rigging, particles, soft body etc ! honest theres loads to learn

I haven’t bought a tutorial yet but have a couple on my wish list

MOST of all have fun :wink:

wow first of all thx for all the answers.
it really helped me now,i feel more confident aboutb what to do
to do.

I think the best advice i’ve received regarding learning anything is expect that plateau, that point where you feel you’re not making progress. Don’t worry about it, you know it’s going to happen, just keep going and you’ll burst through! (to the next plateau! Then just rinse and repeat)

Blenderguru and BlenderCookie are excellent resources and I would highly recommend them. (Along with the blender.org resources too of course)

Incidentally I have a growing ‘Blender for Maya users’ written & video series in the getting started tutorials section of blender.org which Andrew Price very kindly added recently.

http://annex2nothing.com/blender-overview/

If anyone is interested in learning Blender while getting a good sense of Maya at the same time then feel free to give it a try! :slight_smile:

Whatever you do, and if you only read one line of this response make it this one! - HAVE FUN! There’s plenty of it to be had! :smiley:

Good luck with it all,
Aidy.

Hi! Welcome to Blender!

1. Learn whatever interests you the most. For me it’s organic character creation, because I like to make my own characters to animate, so I first looked for animal modeling tutorials. The best beginner tutorials are ones that take you all through the process so that you learn the interface, the shortcut commands, and how to work from an initial idea to a final render, or even a final animation. It’s probably best not to start out with anything too difficult, though, or you’ll get discouraged. Blender Cookie and Blender Guru are my favorite sites for tutorials. And in general, doing any CG project will help you get better. You’ll have to work through issues, which will make you learn. Also, reading through the forums helps a lot because it introduces you to things you may not have known about, or you may just learn some good tips.

2. I believe you don’t have to buy a thing to learn Blender. Not that I’m not tempted to buy a membership to Blender Cookie, but if you are good at Google searching you can find out everything you want to know for free. And if you’re still stumped, just ask on here. Now if you want to really speed up your learning, you may want to buy a dvd, book, or class because they will be streamlined in a way that maximizes your learning time. But I’ve learned everything I know about Blender for free thanks to all the nice people who post free tutorials, and I don’t feel like it’s taken me forever to get to where I am.

3. I got started making what I wanted, and starting but never finishing a bunch of projects. It didn’t matter, because I learned things that I could apply the next time I did a project. Sometimes I followed tutorials, sometimes I just worked with what I’d learned and used trial and error (and a lot of Google searching). The main thing is just to have fun, be creative, follow your whims, etc. And I would say don’t avoid anything, because if you don’t take risks you won’t learn.

wow so many answers thank you all!!!:slight_smile: