I made my character from the Pathfinder campaign I'm taking part in! Meet Ranakor the half-orc monk!

Hey all!

This is my Character from the Pathfinder campaign I’m taking part in.

I decided to teach myself some new programs and workflows to broaden my skillset and push myself out of my comfort zone. This is the reason why I did some of the modelling in Blender and refused to use 3ds Max entirely. Also textures where made in Substance Painter as opposed to Polypaint in ZBrush - what I normally would use. Rendering was also done in Blender with Cycles which came with its own challenges since it didn’t give me as much control as V-Ray does. Considering it being completely free and me still being inexperienced, I’m quite happy with the results!
In addition to this I also had to make the model watertight for 3D printing, which entailed modelling hair and fur and was a huge time sink on its own. But I’m happy to now own a physical copy of my very own character and to use him to play!

I’ve drawn a lot of inspiration from the Warcraft universe with its bulky orcs but still wanted to stick to more realistic and less stylised proportions. Since it’s my character for the campaign I also didn’t want his face to look hideous or too “orcish” (in a LotR kind of way) but considering he and his buddies are wandering a world with many conflicts I compromised with some obligatory adventure-ish scarring.

The clothing is more than heavily inspired by the amazing concept art of Ilya Bodaykin and Konstantin Vavilov for the game Pathfinder: Kingmaker, 2016 which you can find here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/B0wEk

Thank you all very much for taking your time and watching!
Have a good one!

P.S. Since I’m a new user I can unfortunately only post one picture. But if you want you can hop on over and check out the rest on my Artstation.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJ2r9E

50 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Wow that looks great. Personally I never liked the Warcraft/Warhammer orc style with the tusks and steroid-abuse etc., so I like the fact you didn’t go with the green skin clichée here.

Speaking of colours: Do you plan to paint the printed version?

greetings, Kologe

Thank you very much! That is a great honor! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Kologe!
I’ve been a long time WoW player, so it’s hard for my design not to be influenced/inspired by the Blizzard art style. But I also like believable anatomy. So this is in my opinion the best of both worlds. :smiley:
Tusks on a humanoid are always impractical - that is if unintelligibly speaking isn’t what you’re after. But hey, I think they can at least look cool.
Yeah, you’re right. Green orcs are way too commonplace and is what springs to mind when you think about orcs in general. I too never really liked the look of the green skin and am grateful they added the option to have grey skin in WoW, too. :smiley:

I don’t really know. My group wanted to take some time out of our next session (whenever that may be) to paint the minis they bought off Heroforge. So maybe then I’ll come around to paint him. :slight_smile:

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Great Work! In which software have you done the hair? And the conversion to curve hair for the print? Currently doing some hair for a fan art and lets say i need some tips =D

Thank you!

The particle hair was done in Blender.
I had to manually model the solid hair in ZBrush. Unfortunately I didn’t know any way to automate the process or else I’d have saved a lot of time…

1 Like

Sorry one follow up question. Is it only interpolated hair or did you used for the detailed hair that is hanging in front of the face a different particle system? I cant match a hair system with simple and interpolated hair so that it looks good…