I my first walk cycle...

before I was confused but eventually I got it and it wasn’t that hard… check it out.

oh and please critique it and tell me how I can make the walking look stiff and robotic but not unrealistic. so I was just messing with the Ipo editor and stuff.

Attachments

robot_character.blend (601 KB)

Why does it keep falling through the floor

here it is new

Attachments

robot_character.blend (605 KB)

I want to know it too, its terrible, always when I put a armature inside of an object hapen something weird, the problem here isn t is the robot itself but the armature.

Simple, but effective. :slight_smile:

You can add realism by adding a bit of a swinging action to the robot’s upper body (shift the hips left and right) and you can make the robot body bob up and down with the low point of the up/down movement when the robot leg is outstretched and the high point when it is mid-stride. If you make it so that the body weight is always more over the leg that is in contact with the ground then it will give an impression of mass to the robot. Since it’s a robot, you could break down the animation into abrupt sections. ie. Shift weight to left leg, move right leg forward, shift weight to right, move left leg forward, etc.

A slight bending at the elbows due to momentum of the the lower arm adds realism to an organic character’s walk, but you might not want this for a robot. Maybe your robot could be programmed to simulate this in an exaggerated way?

As people walk, they bob their heads from side to side and up/down slightly and this adds realism to an organic walk cycle. Again, maybe your robot would not need to do this, but could simulate it by the head bobbing up/down like on a spring or shock absorber.

There are loads of ways to add realism to a walk cycle suck as twisting of the hips, twisting of the body, bending of the spine, twisting of the neck, a little bounce in the body due to the shock of the foot hitting the ground, the arms swinging outwards a little due to the body twist rather than just forwards and backwards, rolling of the shoulders, etc. etc. The best thing to do is walk about and see how you move. Watch other people walking (but don’t stare ;)). There are good walk cycle tutorials out there to use as a starting point, but they are no substitute for observation and practice.

but why does it keep falling through the ground? how do I fix that.
Oh and thank I will take into consideration the head bobbing and slight hip movement.:yes:

here… KK new ones here.

Attachments

robot_character.blend (605 KB)

Chek that the size of the “Radius” setting in the physics section of the game settings is set to the correct size. Set the radius to the distance between the centre of the character and the bottom of his feet.

K I’ll do that.

When I change the raduis the physics get messed up? why?

instead of changing the radius you can move the object center. Move the 3d Cursor to however large your radius is away from the ground. Then, with your object selected, go to the mesh editing panel and under the “mesh” tab click “center cursor”.

Good Luck!

@arbiter410: your .blend has a lot of basic mistakes. You should be able to figure them out, but the main things I noticed are:

Both the armature and the mesh are actors and dynamic. This will cause conficts with the physics because they intersect (the armature is inside the mesh). Try setting the mesh to “static” and “ghost”. In a game the mesh should do nothing but paint polygons on the screen. Everything else (such as movement, collision, animation, etc.) should be done by other objects. eg. Mesh paints polygons, armature deforms mesh, collision object handles interaction with the environment. Mesh is parented to armature. Armature is parented to collision mesh. Collision mesh handles the physics and recieves player instructions.

The object that interacts with the environment should have the collision bounds set to it’s shape. If you use the default collision bounds then this is a sphere of the radius that you specify. The radius is centered on the collision object centre.

If your object is 2 Blender Units (BU) high and the centre of the object is at 1BU on the z (up) axis then to make the object sit on the ground then the radius needs to be 1BU. This radius will keep the centre of the object 1 BU above the ground. (If you need more understanding of the radius of spheres then you should learn a bit more before proceeding.)

If your object is 4.5 BU high and the object centre is at the base of the object then the radius needs to be 0 BU. This will keep the centre of the object at ground level.

I’m sometimes not too good at explaining things, but I hope this helps. Read. Learn. Apply knowledge. Correct mistakes. Read. Learn… etc.

There is no easy way. :wink: