I need a new 'drug'...

No, this post is not about narcotics. The title is from Hewey Lewis’ song of the same name, in which he proclaims that he needs some source of thrill and enjoyment to take the place of the woman (presumably) that he has lost; “something that makes me feel like I feel when I’m with you”.

Also, this is my debut writing under a secret identity. I do this because I have times in my life when I need to be whiny and pathetic, and I would not want to taint my otherwise sleak and stylish image on these boards with that. So yes, in true internet tradition, I am using the identity of RantMan as my cloak of anonymity! :RocknRoll: I will use it in the future for even more technosocial commentary and creative madness (including on 3D topics, of course!) that no self-respecting oerson would have the courage to do under his or her own name!

But anyway… I have not lost the love of my life, but Mr. Lewis’ song-title does fit my current predicament. I have been searching for some time for something that I can hang my obsessive consumption of information and entertainment on. I recently closed the final chapter on roleplaying games. They simply do not do it for me anymore like they did before. I still read the books, but they seem to read like the same thing over and over again. I watch various TV series, too, like Heroes, House MD, 4400, CSI, and such things. Once Galactica starts up again, I will also continue with that. But they are brief moments of increasingly limited thrills, as the formulas driving the writers become apparent. I have more or less given up on reading fiction, after the last few highly praised works I read left me feeling a bit cheated. The only two writers that can really fulfill my growing needs seem to be H.P.Lovecraft, whose short works are chaotic and confusing enough to keep my attention, and Douglas Adams, whose entire line of works I have sadly already read (including the work he left unfinished at his untimely death, The Salmon of Doubt). I also watch Anime (currently D-Gray), but it, too, seems to have become repetitious, most titles falling neatly into a specific category and simply rehashing that formula over again.

I need something to get my brain-juices flowing again. Something strange and unusual, something that can inspire me. I have tried computer games, but since I completed Civ 2 on Deity level and closed the door on Starcraft Broodwar, I have not found anything remotely innovative. I have tried WoW and grown bored quickly of running around whacking the various critters (alone or with friends), and the various first-person-do-somethingers look more and more like Wolfenstein with snazzy graphics.

So I am hoping that someone in here can tell me “RantMan, there is something out there that is completely different, something full of experiences and with strange things to learn, something complicated and yet deeply inspiring”. In my civilian identity, I have grown to respect the wide knowledge of people in here, and hope that this is where I will find that sage to point me to my new ‘drug’. Something that inspires the inquisitive, analytical part of me, and yet tickles the inner child with artistic thrill and pretty colors.
My latest thrill was a webcomic named Dresden Codak, which is sufficiently weird, yet somehow meaningful and beautifully executed. I went through it in two days. I also read standard books at 40-50 pages per full days reading, and easily go through half a dozen movies on a slow sunday, so I have very much brought my lack of new things to consume upon myself.

My only current option seems to be to create somehting new on my own, and that of course was what originally brought me to Blender, and continues to drive my civilian identity. But there is a lack of satisfaction in entertaining yourself. It is my humble hope that this thread will bring me new ways to enjoy things viewed outside my own head :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, I did that ‘real world’ thing too. Most of it is highly overrated, especially the whole party scene :no:

too bad thats what we live in. get a job and do something productive.

believe me, getting arrested and waking up under bridges doesnt get boring. overrated? depends who you hang out with.
like everything, you get what you put into it, so stop bitching and turn off your computer.

Just think of happy numbers. Like 379.

$10 for the first person to guess who this is :wink:

losing a love can be very confusing on many levels.

I fear there is little anyone here can do to help. It sounds like the battle is something that you need to win with yourself. Good luck!

Creativity and producing your own world of new wonders (not necessarily art, or detailed execution, but the ideas and the fantasies) is far more rewarding than consuming others fantasies.

have you tried Comics? Not manga, since manga is basically just anime now (although some of the older titles are rather good). But grab some really good comics, like the Sandman Series, Maus, Mr. Blank, Jinx, Goldfish, Torso, etc, etc, etc. Just avoid the superhero stuff and there’s a whole pile of really really good comics out there.

Get a subscription to ‘Make’ magazine. Buy a camera and do some photography. Buy some plasticine and make some small sculptures or figurines. Learn to crochet or knit. Write a novel, then get it published and then make a hand-written and hand bound copy and auction it off on e-bay for a few hundred thousand bucks. Learn to draw. Even better, learn to paint and do some textures for me, I hate doing textures.

No, seriously there’s about a billion things you could do, but you have to want to do it. If you don’t know then there’s a good chance no one else will know. Read some informative books or how-to books instead of fiction. Read some history and science books and stuff. I dunno. Go outside and draw from life, draw from nature.

Drawing is awesome and it’s cheap and easy to do. Just a pencil and some paper and you have all the supplies you will ever need. Go draw.

Yeah, there is really just so much to do in life. How do people manage to get bored?
Don’t just get stuck onto one thing, do a variety of things. Parties are actually fun, but not if thats all you ever do. Getting laid is fun too, but you can’t only do that. Variety is the spice of life. Balance the creative and inspiring activities with destressing activities, like partying, getting laid, meditation, etc.

i would suggest the peace corps! or one of those red cross thingies where you go to the rain forest and hand out water bottles to poor monkies and butterflies whos homes were cut down. thats full of adventure right there :yes:

seriously though i was about to quickly to suggest the military, but you seem like a serious whiner and those people usally get destracted by themselves and then do something stupid that might get someone hurt. plus no one likes a whiner. but its good for the helping people and adventure thing, but its staggered a bit by the fact that you have to kill people (who are trying to kill you anyway) and risk your life (not an everyday thing)

join something that lets you travel and see the world. that is pretty damn satisfiying.

ps i think i know who this is

Chronic masturbation.

…What? Its that or re doing something you know you like. Its quite simple… Go out, meet new people, etc., etc…

I have a job. It pays very well. It takes up very little of my time.

believe me, getting arrested and waking up under bridges doesnt get boring. overrated? depends who you hang out with.
Outrunning the law is more challenging. Sadly, it seems they are getting easier to outrun, unless you get really nasty. And I am not ready to commit major felanies.

like everything, you get what you put into it, so stop bitching and turn off your computer.
Bitching=not wanting solutions, just complain. I want solutions. Tried turning off my computer and looking in the real world, still have trouble finding anything really inspiring.

That might actually work for a while. I’ll try words, too.

Am I included in that wager? :stuck_out_tongue:

losing a love can be very confusing on many levels.
That was Hewey Lewis, not me.

I fear there is little anyone here can do to help. It sounds like the battle is something that you need to win with yourself. Good luck!
Nah, pretty sure I am talking to sufficiently creative minds :wink:

Creativity and producing your own world of new wonders (not necessarily art, or detailed execution, but the ideas and the fantasies) is far more rewarding than consuming others fantasies.
True, very very true. But I need to supplement with something external, or I slip into my own mind entirely.

Hmm… Been considering something in that respect. It’s a jungle out there, though. Got any suggestions that may look like this?

Get a subscription to ‘Make’ magazine. Buy a camera and do some photography. Buy some plasticine and make some small sculptures or figurines. Learn to crochet or knit. Write a novel, then get it published and then make a hand-written and hand bound copy and auction it off on e-bay for a few hundred thousand bucks. Learn to draw. Even better, learn to paint and do some textures for me, I hate doing textures.

No, seriously there’s about a billion things you could do, but you have to want to do it. If you don’t know then there’s a good chance no one else will know. Read some informative books or how-to books instead of fiction. Read some history and science books and stuff. I dunno. Go outside and draw from life, draw from nature.

Drawing is awesome and it’s cheap and easy to do. Just a pencil and some paper and you have all the supplies you will ever need. Go draw.
I am writing yet another novel, and may have found a very unique concept to write on. I am thinking about finding a publisher, but I always end up writing instead. The handwritten one sounds amusing! I am an avid drawer and an occassional painter, and pretty darn good at it. I do large and often panoramic pictures, though, not sure if they fit as textures? As for the informative, I already speak multiple languages and chew through most sciences at a pace similar to fiction. Re: History, I like Luddites and the lost Chinese expeditions most, but have a broad interest. I am a very frewuent wikipedia user, too :slight_smile: Still looking for something deeper on technosocial evolution pre-WWII, though.

By doing too much too fast, and getting a taste for living that way.

Don’t just get stuck onto one thing, do a variety of things. Parties are actually fun, but not if thats all you ever do. Getting laid is fun too, but you can’t only do that. Variety is the spice of life. Balance the creative and inspiring activities with destressing activities, like partying, getting laid, meditation, etc.
Re: Sex, women are starting to bore me, and I am hesitant about substituting them with alternatives :eek: Yes, you guessed it, I am male or a lesbian :stuck_out_tongue: My lady friend before last was actually an S/M enthusiast, but the concept of spanking grows weary at length. I already vary things to spice it up, but I seem to be missing one or two key ‘drugs’ to make it taste like anything other than spices.

Yes, I am a horrible, pathetic person. My problems are luxury issues; I am healthy, intelligent, active, and loved, and yet I seek new horizons. I have done so for my entire life, and have now seemingly run out of new and exhiting things to do. I may take up parachuting, basejumping or the like, but I would also like something that I can do at a more regular pace. For those who feel disgusted by my luxury problems, I apologize, but I play them as I see them, and have faith that The Truth Is Out There, and maybe in here :eyebrowlift:

putting aglets on the ends of shoelaces can be most rewarding.

as for who…
CD27?..
NJROTC?(apparently not)…
CD38?..
RANKN67?..
Valarking(surely not)…
Cyborg Dragon(doubt it)…
mmm it’s on the tip of my fingers, the guy who did basic training a while back, or joined the navy…who had all those obsessive lengthy posts.
i dunno, just gimme the $10 or i’ll post the entire members list.
no offense to the people i named, i just really want that $10.

there’s something new for RantMan!
go out & ask complete strangers for $10.

i’ll even let you take out the postage costs.

i found him here: http://blenderartists.org/forum/memberlist.php

m.a.
& no it’s not me. I would be more clever & do tricks so the mods didn’t have my ipid.

CD27?..
NJROTC?(apparently not)…
CD38?..
RANKN67?..
Valarking(surely not)…
Cyborg Dragon(doubt it)…

Buh? I’m “sleak and stylish”? Also how did you steal my “Ignore” list?

Something that inspires the inquisitive, analytical part of me, and yet tickles the inner child with artistic thrill and pretty colors.

Rantman, if you so have much time and discretionary wealth, how about enrolling in the Master’s program at the MIT Media Lab. Some of the stuff they do there might even make a differencein the world, so the move wouldn’t necessarily be completely narcissistic.

If you can find my new drug, I will pay you $10 each full month that it can hold my interest. If you can hook me on something obsessive, I’ll raise that to $20 or higher, depending on how obsessive I become.

Wow. That felt weird to write :confused:

EDIT: Scratch that, and make it a flat $5 per week an “obsession” provided can hold my interest. Oh, and it has to be somewhat specific. If I offer $5 weekly allowances for people to tell me to “read more books” or “do something physical”, I’ll be living in a cardboard box in no time :slight_smile:

Evidently this thread is an experiment with a new drug, at least on this site. Couldn’t be bothered to search where else you’ve tried it.

There’s a reason you find your mind wrapped in molecules and confined to time and space. When you figure that out boredom is relegated to dictionary space.

%<

That… made no sense whatsoever. Are you sure you read the post?

mmm it’s on the tip of my fingers, the guy who did basic training a while back, or joined the navy…who had all those obsessive lengthy posts.

yeah i remember that guy! he was kinda wierd, anyway it cant be him because he was really hardcore christian remember? i dont think someone with that much uh, God in their life would ever feel life has lost its luster.

OH! i remeber where ive seen this case before! most people turn to murder and torture if they ever run into this phase of life. im gonna keep my fingers over the numbers 9, 1 and 1

I read about the things you used to do and i think that, what’s wrong with them is that they are all things that only supply you with information, not letting you get involved, making you a passive observer…
You need to do something that will help you explore and use your creativity… that will bring those “happy with myself” feelings more often… I hope i make sense now…
Now i know that finding the medium to express yourself isn’t always easy or obvious, but it is i am afraid a thing you must do on your own…
For me, i find fractals and almost everything that is connected to them to be very amusing… ( Wikipedia has a major part in how i stumble upon new things related to what i read…another source might be that “stumble upon” add on for firefox, although i haven’t tried it…)
Another thing i find interesting is programming…
With only these two i can find interesting related subjects in almost every area of human life, the universe, and beyond… So now, a network is starting to form, and you see the connections between things in different areas… and then, you get to the interesting part, which is the unanswered questions…problems… but they are not boring or hard… they are interesting to think about because of all the connections i mentioned… And my view of things has changed and is still changing and that feels very refreshing… Ofcourse this is just my personal example but i figure any way you take, sooner or later everyone comes to the same point…
Also, this is not a quick fix, it actualy may take years… and your problem can’t be solved with a quick fix just to make sure you understand this…
So basicaly what you need to start is turn down the “noise” and enjoy the silence for a while, until you get to the clear picture again and then you just follow it…:slight_smile:
I am writing this because i sure have felt like you do now and i know how frustrating it can be…

Hope i was helpful,

Greetings,

Stefan.

Oooh, what’s that?? Sounds interesting :smiley:

In general, Zazu, thanks for the thoughts. I can recognize a lot of what you mention. Including that fractals are interesting (and pretty!). And if I seem to be looking for a ‘quick fix’, my mistake, I am actually looking for something that can hold my interest and provide a long-term challenge / experience! I am just running out of likely mediums for that on my list… I am hoping someone here will point out some Grand Weirdness for me to chew on (a friend has put me on a Discworld diet, which could be one path). My problem is just my rate of consumption.

Anyways, if you have more down that alley, I’m all ears (which makes me look rather strange, really).

Drugs are bad…
Sex is good…

Why don’t you go for long walks with a plastic bag and collect rubbish ? You’ll find interesting stuff and at the same time set the council a standard. Keep the stuff you want, bin the rest of it. So far I found lots of interesting stuff, a plastic bag is on the horizon.

I would propose that nobody (or almost nobody) here knows enough about you to be capable of providing a full answer to that question. A few paragraphs of text cannot convey the complexity of a human; none of us know what makes you tick. I will briefly describe a method that may help you find something, though I’d guess you have already tried it. I can also list a few of the activities that can really hold my interest, but everyone is different: they may not work for you.

Firstly, consider what makes you tick? What, if anything, gives you goosebumps? For some it’s music, others prefer literature, science, adrenaline, whatever. If any such thing exists, seek it out to the best of your ability. Learn all you can about it, immerse yourself in it.

Failing that, I would suggest almost the opposite: find something difficult for you and practice it until it becomes second nature. For me subdividing music is difficult, so if I were bored I would practice subdividing a few hours a day until I became quite proficient (which would also make me a far better musician).

I tend to find that many little things keep my interest: none sucks me in for long, but all consume me fully, if briefly: Rubik’s cubes, reading, Wikipedia, music (both playing and listening), reading other books, meditating, coffee shop philosophy, etc. Of course the biggest draw, the thing that exhilarates me most, is people. I find myself drawn to some people. Some of these people are incredibly intelligent, some are challenging, some have a great peacefulness about them that I would love to emulate, etc. There are a select few people whose presence alone is enough to not only make me happy, but also to captivate and intrigue me.

Oh, and I can’t believe nobody has said these two yet:
Go (the board game) and the culinary arts. The former is simple enough that you can learn to play in 10 minutes but complex enough that people devote their entire lives to it; Go is the world’s second most popular board game and is believed to be the oldest still played. The culinary arts are not only immensely challenging, they are wide open: there are so many combinations and preparations that much has yet to be discovered or popularized. And if you learn to cook/bake, you always have something to give to those you care for.

Tarrosion