I need help with a game im makeing?

Would anyone like to team up and make a game?
Im making a game based on 28 days later called ‘‘COMA’’ its about a guy who waz in a coma for about 30 days and wakes up to find his small home village over runned with ZOMBIES!!
im needing help with making it though so if you are intrested i can show you wireframes and textured shots of the characters.
(im thinks of scraping the main character and starting him again because im haveing problems with the logic).

I need to know how to make a gun that shoots!

Well I would say it’s always hard to get a team for a game if you dont have much to show. Posting screens and stuff always helps. The problem is that a game is a huge project and with out knowing even how to make a gun shoot it may not look promising to join your team. Also there have been about a billion and one posts about joining my team for a game, now correct me if im wrong but I think only that 1 of those billion actually goes some where.

I dont mean to say that you wont ever have your idea come to life or learn the skills necessary to make a game, but know that you should start small. Also in my humble opinion the blender game engine seems to be lacking, I have not ever tried to do any thing complicated in it but for a entry level programmer/designer it may not be the best tool.

I think that casual games have a big place in the future of gaming and one of the best tools that I have seen for the casual game maker is Unity. I have been using unity for quite some time now and have enjoyed every bit of it. It is fun and easy to make any idea come to life. It imports almost every major modeling app (including blender) has easy scripting in 3 different languages, it uses ageia physics, a full script refrence library and a incredible forum community. All these things are amazing but one of the features that I have found most enjoyable is shaderLab. ShaderLab is there gfx shading language which you can use to create amazing graphics. They have thought of every thing. Now the one draw back for some people is that the editor is OSX only. You can publish to windows, web, PPC macs and intel macs or build a universal binary. I think that this app is perfect on the mac and OSX. I wouldnt touch a pc to do any kind of development, gaming is a different story. :wink:

Any ways sorry to be advertising but I think unity is perfect for indie developers and beyond. Check it out, I think you might find it very easy to pickup and learn. :smiley: You may not even need a team…

Bill

Umm…blender has its own game engine built in which has been improving in leaps and bounds recently. You can create a game by yourself with a very easy logic system and best of all its free. Search in the game engine forum to learn how to make a game.

I have looked at it (as I said) but it does not even compare to the power or ease of unity. Actually I looked at it a few versions ago so it might grant another peek of a new version. How ever from what I have seen (from others) the graphical quality is extremely poor. Which makes me wonder how hard the shading engine is to use. Please correct me if me if im wrong, but I dont think any one has ever made a game that has made money, have they? I suppose what ever floats your boat, I just wanted to throw that out there. :smiley:

Bill

Moved to game engine forum where it will draw more appropriate attention I believe. Any mod who disagrees with this decision can feel free to move it elsewhere. Good luck with your game!

Please correct me if me if im wrong, but I dont think any one has ever made a game that has made money, have they?

As soon as you make one that makes money, be sure to let us know.

er I meant in blender, btw…

O.K. but reality check. Almost no one makes money with computer games. I make money from my investments. It leaves me enough time to play around with Blender. The truth is much more likely that you spent a bunch of money on Unity that you won’t see a return for unless it’s free. I didn’t look because I’ve played around with other engines. Importing trouble. Nothing looks like you think it will, blah, blah. I’m having fun with Blender and making real progress. I’ll give the game for free, and play other peoples free games. Works for me.

@sync1b

Hey, thanks for sharing. I think that information like this is very usefull, as to give options to the wannabe game developer, who might not want to be stuck with blenders limited capabilities. I mean using ageia, wow. That alone is worth some praise.

The only thing that bothers me is that this software is geared toward the Mac, which is a little bizzare, especially when you talk about games.

PS: Don’t be discouraged by certain individuals who can’t keep an open mind (since blender is pretty much all they ever used, and so they will try to convince you that its somehow better than unity). Ha, ha, I mean you might hear something like “Im not trying to make games for the money” and then they are going to start complaining about licensing fees which would be applied if they ever decided to sell it with a better (purchased) engine.

Actually search casual games and you might be suprised. Recently there seems to be a explosion in casual games. Things like the xbox arcade and shareware have actually made money. I saw a number some where that said casual games sales where hitting a billion dollars.

I didn’t look because I’ve played around with other engines. Importing trouble. Nothing looks like you think it will, blah, blah. I’m having fun with Blender and making real progress. I’ll give the game for free, and play other peoples free games. Works for me.

I have not messed around with many other engines my self but from what other people have told me, nothing has compared to unity. Every thing just works. I my self have imported from maya, lightwave, and blender with no problems. I think free is great too many people are using unity to make free games, because it’s inexpensive and amazing tool.

Hey, thanks for sharing. I think that information like this is very usefull, as to give options to the wannabe game developer, who might not want to be stuck with blenders limited capabilities. I mean using ageia, wow. That alone is worth some praise.

The only thing that bothers me is that this software is geared toward the Mac, which is a little bizzare, especially when you talk about games.

You are very welcome. I dont think it’s odd, the mac has always been a platform for artists and 3D alike. I mean things like maya have always been extremely strong on the mac and it’s a good platform for development. The only reason in my eyes that the mac doesnt have the majority is because of the huge after market options for the pc. I know I love being able to use the same LanParty mobo and upgrade my chip and gfx card when a new game comes out like fear. But, I must say that apple and OSX are some thing pretty special and deserve a little more respect.

Ha, ha, I mean you might hear something like “Im not trying to make games for the money” and then they are going to start complaining about licensing fees which would be applied if they ever decided to sell it with a better (purchased) engine.

One more little thing about unity that I think is one of it’s strongest selling points. There are no lisensing fees, you buy it and can use it in any way you want royalty free.

Braveheart, sorry to get your thread off track! I hope some of this info might help you in the journey your about to take. :wink:

Bill

It has been some time since the message was originally posted so I am not sure if you are still interested, Braveheart. If you are I would be willing to work of the project with you. I would be willing to write the code for the game, so long as you were able to make all of the graphics. At the present time I am using a language called GLBasic, which I feel is a good language for games of this scale. It is easy to use and learn, quick to implement, and I have a working knowledge of it (though I am still learning it). I have some experience with Blender, Scapemaker (a terrain generator), and Deled 3D (a program to create buildings and levels). So I can work on some of the graphics, however I am a novice in all of these graphics programs, and I prefer the coding aspects of game creation If you would like my help or have any questions please e-mail me. [email protected]

if youre using the blender game engine, you have to use python to program your games…

yea you need python :frowning:

do you know python??

P.S added you to MSN