I Need Help With Basics of Game Asset Creation

I am new to blender/anything related to games. I have had this question burning a hole through my brain for the last week.

When modeling something somewhat complex like this T34 tank I’ve made, if I were to make it into a game asset, does the entire tank need to be made of ONE solid mesh? While modelling, I find it impossible to model surface details on one side of the mesh without screwing up something on the other side, loop cut edges change the shape or sharpness of the faces on the other side. Could I create several objects, then just move them close together and merge the vertices or will that create more problems?

I have no idea how a model that complex could be a solid mesh.

I’m confident that someone had already asked about the basics of game object creation, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere (unless of course I want to pay $100 for a course about it on an educational site.)

Short Answer…NO.
If is going to move or rotate or do anything it would be rigged in some way…and all the parts would be Parented to the Main object so it will not be a single mesh.

Now how you do that will be determined on what Game Engine you are going to use to drive your Game.

Several questions you need to ask yourself when you set out…
What Kind of Game?
What Engine will I use…
Will my game be Realistic or will it be Low Poly…
etc etc

Look at Game Engines…Unity / CryEngine / Unreal or Blender Game ( they are all Free BTW )
and see which one has what you want your game to do and what the Game Engines are able to do.

Every one of them has a steep learning curve!! Be ready for that! They also have tons of tutorials so start small and work your way up!
and I highly suggest learning how to search with Google and use keywords when you need an answer…

Making a Game in Blender 2.8

Thanks for the reply, I think I should maybe re-frame my question based on your answer.

When searching on Sketchfab, or other asset libraries, there are lots of objects that say things like “Game Ready” in their description, and I would like to try to post things on such a site to try to generate some passive income.

Is there some kind of general rules around topology / general things I should be aware of when trying to model things for sale on a library?

Oh OK…That does make a difference.
I would point you these Videos as a start

Video one

Video Two

That is the best way I figure to get you started…I would still advise that you study the different Game Engines as each has there own way of using and importing assets, at least that way you could “Target” your asset to a specific game.

Thank you very much I’ll be diving into these this weekend. Thanks a lot for the help, and sorry for taking so long to respond!