I need some really fundamental tut/info plz to help relearn drawing and stuffs

I’ve used to draw pretty goods up till about 6 years ago (i’m 21 right now) and so my skill have detoriates beyond recognizion so I’m hoping to see if anybody have some really good tutorials or info on things like porportions, theory of color, and whatever fundamental stuffs you think would be good for me (consider me an extreme beginner).

P.S. I’ve just gotten a wacom graphire 4 and so now I have no reason to be lazy and not make some arts :smiley: cause I couldn’t make anything with the mouse by itself. I’m not very focused on style of lines and materials and stuffs (like having to learn how charcoal looks on certain paper and stuffs), I’ll figure that out on my own, I just want to learn enough to be able to express myself creativitely and correctly without it looking like a kindegarden art or something…

:EDIT: Yes I’m well aware that there is a tutorial sticky but they are mostly for learning how to use a particular program and stuffs rather than how to draw a arm in porportion to the body and stuffs.

It would be useful to see one or two things you’ve done already. For an absolute beginner the best course of action i can suggest is to get an instructional book like “Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain” and go through that. I mean… it’s probably the best way to go if you really want to be able to draw whatever you want.

I started out doing nothing but characters from comics and anime and stuff like that and eventually when i wanted to start doing my own comics or do an illustration, I found it really difficult to pull everything together. Since then i’ve started to systematically strip away all of my previous wasted effort in order to really learn how to draw. The best advice you will ever get i think is to just draw from life, the world and the people around you.

As far as resources and tutorials… I know the loomis books USED to be free online, and you might still be able to find them in some corner of the internet if you search for them. They are what a lot of comic artists start out learning from. Lots of good basic and some advanced stuff in them. Lemme know if you can’t find them.

As far as stuff on the web… i don’t really know of a ton of drawing sites that aren’t “draw anime” type sites but i can give you some links to get you started:
http://www.artshow.com/resources/drawing.html
there are a number of links on this site as well, and it goes into drawing painting… even ceramics.

http://www.drawingboard.org/viewforum.php?f=14
possibly bad taste for me to post a link to another forum, but there’s probably a ton of information for you here.

But really, just draw anything and everything and show people and get them to rip it apart for you and then draw something better. The more you draw the more confident you’ll become and the more natural it will feel.

Andrew Loomis Fun With a Pencil

The Vilppu Drawing Manual by Glenn Vilppu

Figure Drawing for All It’s Worth by Andrew Loomis

Drawing the Heads and Hands by Andrew Loomis

The Loomis’ books are great, they used to be online at http://www.saveloomis.org/, but I tracked them down to the above website.

Mike

well supose its a good collection of tutorials there to, so: Polykarbon

Thanks for all of the links. I’ve posted a picture (that i made practicing on the tablet) to show how I think it need some improvement. (I know that the line doesn’t look too steady but I do need practice on the tablet for that).

I had to add the typed title to help clear up the fact that the woman is at the beach. I want to be able to draw it good enough so I don’t have to explain and stuffs.

ahh… i remeber something about that at cgtalk… i think you might want to dry thinner lines, and might want to use smaller transparency/whatever… im kinda sleepy right now :slight_smile:

If you were out here in LA I’d recommend the art program at El Camino College, one of our local community colleges. Tuition runs about 150 bucks for a 3 unit semester long course. Materials for a basic drawing class adds another 30-40 bucks. I know you said you were really scrambling to afford the Graphire Tablet, and you probably think I’m out of my mind recommending you plunk down another 200 bucks (or whatever Colorado community college tuition is.) But its really an investment in yourself.

As Squiggly_P mentioned,

i’ve started to systematically strip away all of my previous wasted effort in order to really learn how to draw.

I’m guessing that if you stopped drawing when you were 15, you’re mostly self-taught as an adolescent, and you probably picked up a ton of bad habits, besides never actually learning how to see, in the artistic sense.

Squiggly_P gives you more good advice when he says just draw a lot and draw from life. But that kind of learning can be mighty frustrating and time consuming without the guidance of a good art teacher. Some people can handle teaching themselves and can see how to improve. Some people just practice making mistakes.

Yeah i’m one of those that have a hard time teaching myself, but i’m going to keep going and i’m thinking about checking and see if there is a community based art group or something that I could get involved for free or little money.

Yeah it’s a lot harder to improve if you don’t have someone to yell at you. Something else you might want to try is to find out about any local sketching groups or life drawing classes. Usually you can just show up to those and pay 5 or 10 bucks toward the models. Then you can not only draw from life, but you can watch how other people draw and get a lot of good tips and advice.

But just posting in forums and getting some good critiques can ususally be enough to get you on the right track. I wish i had gotten more serious about art when i was younger, but i did about the same thing you did. I’m 28 now, but I just started really taking it seriously a few years ago.

Oh and that’s something else… don’t let anyone tell you you started too late. anyone that says that is talking right from their buttox. Even if it takes me till i’m 40 to draw the way i want, it’s not like people don’t hire 40 year old artists. But there are a number of master artists who started late. Van Gogh started in his 20’s, i think? pretty sure… if i wasn’t so lazy i’d look it up, but i’m really lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

Drawing is seeing. Take one full day and study the world where ever you go. Do not put pencil to paper at all in that time frame. Pay close attention to how light and shadow define the form of an object. Look at how the internal structure of objects give them support and balance. Observe how objects, when extrapolated, converge in the distance near the horizon.

Pay attention to all of these things, especially light and shadow. The next day, pick something and draw it with the knowledge you gained from this exercise. I’m willing to bet that you’ll see a marked improvement.

the forum there is a goodie! ive seen the comunity being very supportive.
allso http://www.wetcanvas.com/ looks good.
and i do agree its very good to actualy have a real teacher as i’m atending the Art school of Tallinn.’

And as Squiggly_P has sayed don’t give up and dont listen to those dumb people that say youre to old and “will fail” as long as you don’t give up, and hold on to hope anything is possible!
Fweeb here makes a very good point aswell!

They usually post their flyers on bulletin boards near the art studios of local colleges. After all, that’s where their potential members are. Cruise the hallways. I’ve had good and bad experiences with these groups. Since my main interest is in life drawing, there are always model fees (usually around 5 to 10 dollars, depending on the number of artists kicking into the pot), but there are also groups who meet in parks to do landscape painting, and I think they are basically free. The free groups are usually uninstructed. Not that you can’t get helpful advice from other artists, but you have to realize they are there to draw or paint, not to help you out.

Some groups are organized by an art teacher, and the teacher provides some instruction, but these groups are not free. My bad experience was with one of these groups. It was fairly inexpensive ($40 for 10 weeks) but the hall was very crowded and many of the models were friends of the instructor rather than professional models, who were willing to work for less than regular model pay, and couldn’t hold still. One of the models even thought it would be a good idea to bring his guitar along, since he was posing in a cowboy outfit, and he kept strumming it throughout the session, along with tapping his foot to keep time, swaying his upper body and nodding his head to the music. Tough to get a good likeness.