I removed my twitter account after 13 years

I barely used it in the beginning but the last 8 years I liked to follow artists and other people that were into science. However with the NFT craze, AI art and now with the insane nazis, I don’t feel like it’s a place for me.

Now I have no social media accounts, just elysiu… I mean blenderartists. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Fortunately, we’re also on Mastodon :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Funny. “Not Twitter, not Facebook, not […].” No ‘social media’ accounts of any kind. Ever.

Never missed 'em. Don’t need 'em. Never will.

2 Likes

“insane nazis” you mean the new free speech supporters? were the president of the USA is allowed to post now. They should have taken the people who took down his account and put them in jail at the least. what are you talking about? “the nazis”? They all got fired. Maybe you do not like Free speech or do not want to learn about the drug crazed lunatic who bought gas from Ukraine and sold it back to them at inflated prices because his dad got the investigator fire with his Quid Pro Quo? maybe you do not want to be free?

2 Likes

Im going to get a twitter account today because I support free speech and I am much much better at telling what is the truth is and is not then an politician alive today.

2 Likes

Quid Pro Quo, I like that and think it needs to be repeated much, often, in many places. It has a ring to it.
Freedom of speech what is that? In 1700 they had to hide in cabins to talk about the revolution.
The freedom to lie, lies like “renewable energy is the cheapest to produce” You know who told that one?
The Freedom to say White people are all “…” when it is not true.
Now in 2022 we have to hide to say thing that are true because they offend the elite.
I am not allowed to defend myself and say " my ancestor died freeing slaves none of my ancestors owned slaves" stop accusing me!
Now maybe twitter will allow it.

2 Likes

I just find it rich when people complain about the current state of Twitter while being completely silent before with how these types of social media were increasingly pushing out free speech by becoming more and more censorious by the year. Twitter has been run by a bunch of self-serving people with zero respect for free speech (even been recorded saying exactly that) for nearly as long as it has existed.

If you think a billionaire buying a website from a bunch of other billionaires who had shares in Twitter is somehow “ruining” it, then I have a bridge to sell you.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure what’s going on here, but I’m seeing an awful lot of the “Nazi” word and a whole lot of off topic, political, nonsense, and that is not ok. This discussion needs cleaned up ASAP, consider this an official warning. If it keeps going like this it will be closed.

OP was the one who brought up politics with “nazis”. That ship has long since sailed.

It’s weird how I want to involve myself in this conversation, though I know no good can come of it.

I think the French have a phrase for this feeling. L’appel du vide or something like that.

10 Likes

A primal urge to spread chaos and ruin :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Sorry for the word nazi then. I meant right wing fascists.

Also hilarious that kazinger don’t even have different accounts when commenting and agreeing with himself. Then a perfect example of what kind of “free” speech we are talking about here. Misinformation, projection and whataboutism in its core.
And to round it all up, a snowflake too.

1 Like

Nah, I believe OP is referring to people like this:

Anglin has stated: “The goal is to ethnically cleanse White nations of non-Whites and establish an authoritarian government. Many people also believe that the Jews should be exterminated”.[23] Anglin also uses The Daily Stormer as a platform to promote misogynistic conspiracy theories, claiming that politically active “white women across the Western world” are pushing for liberal immigration policies “to ensure an endless supply of Black and Arab men to satisfy their depraved sexual desires”.[24] In July 2018, Anglin summarized his misogynistic views, writing: “Look, I hate women. I think they deserve to be beaten, raped and locked in cages.”[25] Anglin is also a Holocaust denier.[26] Although he has espoused neo-Nazi views, he has attempted to rebrand his ideology as “American Nationalism”.[26] Anglin stated he agreed with the central tenets of Nazism in 2014, but had reservations over the revival of all aspects of Hitler’s regime.[4] A self-proclaimed “troll”, Anglin stated that he had been introduced to Nazism on the online imageboard 4chan.[27]

Anglin was banned from Twitter in 2013, but was reinstated weeks after the site was acquired by Elon Musk in 2022.

Good luck to the mods.

4 Likes

I tend to look at the concept of free speech very simply. You cannot be jailed, prosecuted, or in any way punished by the government for your deeply held beliefs and opinions. Even the most nazish of nazis shouldn’t have to worry about being arrested simply for stating he likes nazis.

…but if the owner of your favorite bar is finding that you daily screaming rants about blood libel are scaring away his other customers, he has every right to show you the door.

The 1st Amendment guarantees us a voice. It doesn’t guarantee us an audience.

4 Likes

That was the general position just a few years ago, but it turned out the only reason it was so was because all of the social media companies functioned as one mind and moved in lockstep as far as the TOS rules on acceptable topics was concerned. This fact was backed up when they would often come together and do coordinated bans for the purpose of kicking certain people out of cyberspace.

It has now been revealed amid the rise of ‘free speech platforms’, that many have changed their views on such to mean you are free to express thoughts and opinions that they agree with (ie. conformity in views, and as such is the one case where diversity is undesired).

1 Like

I could go into details about the rumors and hearsay, the spinning, the empty accusations, the victim playing, and all that good stuff, but it really comes down to one thing…

…it’s crappy, but it’s their platform, and they can do with it as they please. The same applies to Musk. If he wants to let in all the actual honest-to-god Nazis, that’s his prerogative. He bought the company. It’s his to do with as he pleases.

You don’t have to like it, and nothing is compelling you to stay. It’s why Gab, Parlor, and Truth popped up as alternatives in opposition of the old Twitter regime, and why Mastodon is now growing in response to what people see as Musk’s mismanagement.

Yeah, the idea that mutli-billion dollar companies and/or multi-billionaires can “control” speech is a scary one, but it’s also the way things have always been. In the past, we all got our information from TV and newspapers, all owned by wealthy individuals and corporations. Even the internet, the idea of a space free from any regulation or regard is gatekept by a handful of ISPs that can redirect or block traffic as they see fit.

The problem isn’t that we should enforce free-of-consequence speech to the point that everyone is forced to associate with each other. That sounds great on paper, but it’s unworkable in real life. One of those road to hell paved with good intentions type situations. The problem is that we’re not looking at the one real life, has worked in practice answer to this issue, and that’s maintaining other options in lieu of if the usual standard isn’t to your tastes.

3 Likes

I believe Garland Nixon and Scott Ritter have been banned from Twitter.

Isnt this whole twitter purchase just a marketing ploy to get right wingers postively emotionally connected to electrical cars?

Not to be tinfoil hatty, but I’ve seen the case made for SpaceX just being a funnel of government funds away from Nasa, and Starlink being a CIA operation (or worse), and even if that’s all tinfoil and there’s no such deep evil plans, the useful idiot effect of it all can still have deeply disturbing long term consequences (like Tesla selling carbon credits to major polluters and Starlink sabotaging scientific efforts).

Anyway, how about Mastodon support on profiles here at BlenderArtists?

1 Like

Haha, definately too tinfoil hatty for me but no matter if it is intentional or not I think the twitter purchase will be great PR in right wing circles for EVs. All that is now needed is an electrical equivalent to “Rolling Coal” - perhaps “Whining Coil” or something - and Alabama will preorder half a million Cybertrucks.