I tried unity....

There was a statement from Unity director John Riccitiello. He says - now the main problem for Unity is that the engine is used mostly by wannabee game devs and it makes bad impression for the engine. When players on Steam sees a game made with Unity turns the other way and says- oh not another Unity game, because of the inexperienced game devs using it.
Here is the Jim Sterling video about unity engine and bad impression:
<span style=“color: rgb(84, 84, 84); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 16.5454540252686px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”>

its not easy to make good games, hence the crap.

they need a stock actor physics bound, that you can select your own armature to replace thr old one, and also as a example of how to code a good actor,

same as the bge,

but the learning curve on the bge is much shallower do to the logic bricks/event sheet,

all the fancy bells and whistles are not worth it to me for unity,

when the workflow is so… choppy.

People say this same thing about blender. That it has a ‘steep learning curve’, that it does things totally backward from any other “good” 3d software. As someone else in this thread said previously, it is all what you are use to.

Your problem is that you don’t know how Unity works and almost all your BGE-related knowledge doesn’t transfer over - which is to be expected because the BGE design is unique.

In Unity, there is a callback function (inappropriately) called “OnGUI” (which is more like how input events actually work at the operating system level). You have to implement it in your MonoBehaviour class. To capture keyboard events, you just check if the event is a key event.

If you don’t know what “callback function” or “reimplementation” means, that should tell you how the BGE hasn’t been teaching you concepts that are very widespread. You’re missing out, you should broaden your horizon.

Of course, the barrier of entry in Unity is higher. You have to do some “real” programming to get things done. Forcing people to learn programming is (in my eye) better than giving them the illusion of accomplishment from clicking together predefined behaviors.

Look at the success Unity had in its few years (with a higher barrier of entry), versus the “success” that the BGE had in its much longer run. There’s gotta be some reasons for that, and it’s not “poly count” (most successful Unity games aren’t even highend).

[video=youtube;KQvF3ixxXG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQvF3ixxXG8&feature=youtu.be
[/video]

I do real coding, the problem is I use a event sheet rather then writing callbacks, I know about them, just never needed them

other then to get the collision callbacks hit points, which has been not super useful.

The issue with callbacks in the BGE is because no one has made any effort to bring in a deep and involved integration of them in the API. A lot of other engines meanwhile make heavy use of them because, for one thing, they can be a lot faster to execute than simply looping over things and the like.

Pick any other engine, free or not, you’ll be in for a shock on how different the workflow is compared to the BGE. The paradigms and methods of creating logic are different, the methods of creating worlds are different, but they are usually much faster and more powerful in various cases as well.

that is because a sensor is a callback, kinda right?

Conceptual it is.

The main difference is the timing. The BGE ensures the controller are running in a defined phase of the frame. Therefore it will not interfere with operations at other phases (physics calculation, rendering, input recognition). You can see this as synchronous processing, while callbacks are running asynchronous.

I think what coders disturb most is that they can’t “code” the binding between event and effect as that is pre-defined via GUI. My guess is that is one reason why you see the [True Level Triggering] enabled Always sensor so often. It counters the idea of event processing without providing a sufficient alternative solution, resulting in inefficient polling.

I think, the reason BGE is far less famous than Unity is because not a single professional game developer ever tried to use BGE. And that is because of the outdated Blender GPL license and the inability for proper publishing and protecting the assets. Lets face it, Unity is famous because it allows the game devs to make money with it. It is its core purpose, this was the idea of Unity creators while making it.
In contrary, once Blender was like Unity, commercial product meant to make money, but then we released it from its “chains” and that was the start of the dark times for Blender. Nowadays everything needs money…maya,zbrush,3dsmax gets tons of money for their development because they are commercial products and Blender foundation gets nothing for their efforts.
So unity gets all the pro game dev and artists and BGE gets us :stuck_out_tongue: …hell, even Blizzard uses Unity for their Heart Stone game.

@Joseph raccoon

Right now what I like in UE4 is that their documentation and lessons are for the engine you download. And the controls you use to navigate are the same you use to play with.

Yeah right now I’m watching youtube videos, “Getting Started With Unreal” on UE4, to see if it’s something I might be able to learn, before I try to DL it. So that I’m not starring at a GUI that I have no idea how to use.
But I know my limitations, having the latest and greatest engine, isn’t going to magically make me a game dev. :slight_smile:

@BPR

The only reason I would ever even need unity is poly count, . . . from what I understand , the GSL can hold 18x more polygons before dipping in the new viewport.

You can run a script on your game that will get the FPS of any PC that it is run on, and will reduce the draw if the FPS falls below a certain level. Not exactly sure how it works. A good example is the “Island Demo” available at the Unity store. But it is old and may not run on the new unity. But I’m sure there are other examples out there.

Some examples here: http://unity3d.com/support/old-resources/example-projects/islanddemo

But I made a game with it long ago. And it runs on a pentium PC with reduced draw, but runs at full draw on my new PC, and it’s awesome.
(Ha I’m a perfect example of a wanna be game dev:))

So you can have lots of trees, grass, swaying in the breeze, birds flying around, rocks etc. On a slow PC it will simply not draw those objects in the distance. Like LOD, So you can have a very large terrain that will run on a weak PC.

You know that this “commercial product” did not worked? And ‘released it from “chains”’ meant that you can use it today. Otherwise it would be buried in some expired archives without public access. The only “dark time” is the low amount of contributions. The GPL discussion is surely no benefit to make the BGE a number one choice as base for a commercial product.

Anyway. Both do a good job. Both need time to get used to. I do not see a reason why to avoid one product at all costs.

You know that this “commercial product” did not worked? And ‘released it from “chains”’ meant that you can use it today.

Yes,but still Unity did not worked also, in its early versions. I remember Unity version 1.2something, when I first installed it on my PC in 2005 I think…it was so unpopular and so broken and underdeveloped…BlenderGE was so far in front of it. Now…10 years later we can see what money for development can do.

The only “dark time” is the low amount of contributions.

BF should try kickstarter campaign for BGE. I see that Blender is on Steam already, so why not Kickstarter.

And ‘released it from “chains”’ meant that you can use it today.

I can use Unity and Unreal today also for free :wink: .The point is…world is changing, the business models are changing so…Blender should try something new in terms of business and development.

It’s worth noting that the people who are talking about features missing from Unity free evidently haven’t tried Unity in quite some time; the free version of Unity now includes all features, including the option to export and monetize your games (as long as you aren’t making more than $100,000 a year). The paid version gives you features that a full-sized studio or professional dev team might need but functionally the free version is the full version now.

The BF can’t just up and become a commercial vendor with Blender as a paid project because the GPL won’t allow that.

Technically, the BF would have to get the approval of hundreds of contributors over the years to change the license (which is not only virtually impossible, but it could also hurt Blender in a way because a few of the more active developers work on it because of the GPL). The only way for a commercial version of the BGE is to develop from the Blender 2.25 codebase (with only a small fraction of the total feature-set as Blender today).

Then you would have the situation where some will just fork the last GPL version of Blender and take a good chunk of the community with it, so the userbase will also see fragmentation. If you want to ‘pay’ for Blender then you can join the ranks of those who are subscribing to the Blender development fund.

we can sell blender games right now , not under gpl, only engine changes are gpl,

the blenderplayer w/seperate encrypted blend system works, and people are selling on steam.

We just need to bum rush steam, prove the engine is worth,the love, and then kickstart. who cares about the aaa studios, we are targeting indies.

If you’re intending to spam the Steam storefront with dozens of quickly put together games done over a weekend, then it could actually backfire and paint the BGE as an engine that is desperately searching for attention (not to mention grasping at straws in order to try to find relevance).

It will give a ‘hey, look at me, I want love too’ impression of the BGE as a game dev. solution. What you want instead is high quality products with bug-free gameplay and modern graphical effects.

have been advancing on all fronts,
code, textures, models etc.

I am grabbing high poly stuff from blend swap,

then hand decimating and rigging actors,

I have the modular weapon system, and multi actor/vehicle system working,

I have been building decent quality levels from scratch,
I need more art/animations.

this new system I coded chaos emergency with, is bug free,
after hours of testing, it needs enemies and a few More animations and then its game on.

I am rewritting wrectified from scratch with what I have learned, to be bug free and not use Mouse over any to aim,
(its clunky)
and almost all my math has been upgraded.(learned some new vector stuff)

My next step is making sure all my actors can share animations, which will be tricky as I don’t know how to do it with IK target locations, only rotations. (bone scale makes IK positions incorrect)

if I do this correctly the systems will all be reusable.

Well isn’t that the issue here? If you do anything correctly, it will work as intended, and be useful for everyone, and will receive positive acclaim. That if is highly subjective to the intended design of the creator as well as the expectation of the user, who defines what is “correctly”? I am sure Unity developers feel they have done everything correctly, yet you are unable to leverage any of its complexity. If you knew everything there was to know about C++, Python, the BGE, and Unity, you could surely code the engine of your imagination, all your projects would be flawless, and the BGE would be the indie giant we all want it to be. Amateur developers will always blame the software.

the idea is that the end user can use code or logic

keypress map(reprogamable) ------serialized list output-------actor control logic------code containers

this distributes complexity and allows the system to be reused in a very diverse set of conditions,
also, a clean implementation that is commented and documented can save years of learning,

when using logic property sensors one can use module mode and only fire a snippet at a time

if MoveString= “[Forward,Left]”-----------snippet

and the snippet can check to see if there is a action or transition already in effect.

turrning the actor movment filter into a state machine.

I am pretty sure it is possible to do 99% without active polling,

side note, we need a is moving sensor.

@Captain Oblivion

It’s worth noting that the people who are talking about features missing from Unity free evidently haven’t tried Unity in quite some time; the free version of Unity now includes all features, including the option to export and monetize your games (as long as you aren’t making more than $100,000 a year). The paid version gives you features that a full-sized studio or professional dev team might need but functionally the free version is the full version now.

I have Unity 4.3.4f1 (free) installed . I see Unity 5 personal is out, It looks like it doesn’t have all the features of Pro according to this web page. But it does say engine with full features. I’ll have to check it out.
Thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile:

What version of Unity do you have installed? 5? Does it have all the features of Pro?
How do you like Unity?
Do you know if it will open projects from 4.3 without breaking them?