i wanna make a souls like game how hard is it gonna be?

im asking about what would need to learn to do stuff like character creation and swapping pieces of armor

Modeling, just need to learn how to make one really, to point you towards a good tutorial to create a character/model from a drawing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QT1GNMevfc follow that series of tutorials and you can make one all on your own.

swapping pieces aint so hard either, you could do that with logic bricks in blender or with python.
look at the signature of our moderator Monster, he got a guide/tutorial for exactly that.

Nick Manchul thats a really nice comment man!

I follow these steps, but I think I am struggling on nĀŗ 2: I think I am becoming crazy about texturization and graphics quality (like pbr).

Even started (like a really newbie) to learn GLSL on ShaderDesigner (Itā€™s really good).

And I know that pbr is not the only good thing (pbr itā€™s really interesting and I really would like to dev a game this way e.e) but itā€™s hard, or itā€™s being hard for me to find myself on the graphics/textures type that I want, but I will. First by something little and than incresing the dificult.

Iā€™ll save your coment and the first one.

May more people like you rise and comment on the forum

:smiley: :eyebrowlift:

• do one texture, the second, the third ā€¦ experience comes months and years later - itā€™s not avoidable.
    You start to go crazy? - stop, and rest.
    Learn how to create cool textures, maybe you can teach me :yes:
    I know one thing - cool textures are created in simple modeling mode. Create objects as they are, and through Cycles bake on a low-poly object. Learn to model beautifully in not in the game mode, but in the mode of object visualization. It is all interconnected. Will have to master and sculpting.

I am struggling on nĀŗ 2:

• But how did you quickly develop the first item? Can I see your work?

Even started (like a really newbie) to learn GLSL on ShaderDesigner (Itā€™s really good).

• Strange, this paragraph is the last one - you or a genius, or just not attentive - follow the paragraph by paragraph and do not jump! And go to another paragraph when you reach good results.

And I know that pbr is not the only good thing (pbr itā€™s really interesting and I really would like to dev a game this way e.e) but itā€™s hard, or itā€™s being hard for me to find myself on the graphics/textures type that I want, but I will. First by something little and than incresing the dificult.

• First by something little and than incresing the dificult - :rolleyes: For large movements, you need a large experience!

May more people like you rise and comment on the forum

• come on man, Iā€™m nobody - Iā€™m just moved by Light Power - There are many ā€œSithā€ at the forum, they are interfering with everything :eyebrowlift2:

pbr or not pbr, that is the question! - What do you mean by the word pbr? Professionally created textures with maps and through the nodes are correctly mixed? In a modern successful game, all materials are pbr! If you apply a simple texture to the model - itā€™s a simple material, if you add a mask of reflection, normal map, and penumbra ā€¦ and mix it qualitatively, itā€™s already pbr

umbra, penumbra and antumbra - come on man, by the end of writing this answer, I already know three new words :eyebrowlift:

in fact u can make a scratch really fast on blender, but im no have any skill with Python.
But its possible ā€¦ but BGE have some rules.
I dont know why the community no have any tutorial about classic mmorpg or rpg, and movement or sprites etc. have some little things but no equal with cycles tutorial community.
ps: some things on BGE are bugged yet :frowning: ; im still using 2.70 to do some another things.
sry poor english.

Nick Manchul, Iā€™ll follow what you said

> - do one texture, the second, the third ... experience comes months and years later - it's not avoidable. > You start to go crazy? - stop, and rest. > Learn how to create cool textures, maybe you can teach me :yes: > I know one thing - cool textures are created in simple modeling mode. Create objects as they are, and through Cycles bake on a low-poly object. Learn to model beautifully in not in the game mode, but in the mode of object visualization. It is all interconnected. Will have to master and sculpting.
  • But how did you quickly develop the first item? Can I see your work?

Of course you can see. There are few threads that I created on the forum that I share my blend files, and thereā€™s one I made yesterday:

ā€‹http://i.imgur.com/wSSkZuag.png

The blend file:

table1.blend (477 KB)

I have a lot more, but donā€™t think this is the right thread e.e, and I donā€™t know if can create a thread for this, tell me if you know any website to save blend files (and a question: there are other websites that I could find you?)

One thing that I know is that ā€œI know the necessaryā€ to make a good model using reference and blueprints (donā€™t know if necessary itā€™s the right word) but I need to learn more.

And with texturization, I donā€™t know how to mark seams well, you can see in this blend, have a color grid map in it.

• Strange, this paragraph is the last one - you or a genius, or just not attentive - follow the paragraph by paragraph and do not jump! And go to another paragraph when you reach good results.

This was because I was too much obsessed with having good results e.e But it was like one month ago and than i started over with textures e.e

• First by something little and than incresing the dificult - :rolleyes: For large movements, you need a large experience!

Totally :slight_smile:

• come on man, Iā€™m nobody - Iā€™m just moved by Light Power - There are many ā€œSithā€ at the forum, they are interfering with everything :eyebrowlift2:

Oh i know that e.e But little acts like that can play a big role on someoneā€™s life :slight_smile: (I think e.e)

pbr or not pbr, that is the question! - What do you mean by the word [B]pbr? Professionally created textures with maps and through the nodes are correctly mixed? In a modern successful game, all materials are [B]pbr! If you apply a simple texture to the model - itā€™s a simple material, if you add a mask of reflection, normal map, and penumbra ā€¦ and mix it qualitatively, itā€™s already pbr

umbra, penumbra and antumbra - come on man, by the end of writing this answer, I already know three new words :eyebrowlift:[/B][/B]

These three misterious little words (UPA:confused:) e.e I agree with that and will figure it more nice and easy.

Every day is a day to learn new things :stuck_out_tongue:

Creating ā€œa gameā€ is pretty easy, you can make pong, frogger or snake in an hour. On the other hand, creating AAA-quality game on your own is practically impossible. Unless youā€™re some genius in every field of gamedev and/or have unlimited time.

First of all, how much like Dark Souls you want this game to be? Salt and Sanctuary was made by team of two skilled people, but itā€™s 2D.

This is what you can do in one day in Unity, is this like Dark Souls enough?

Thatā€™s not to mention the big dev houses often use their own proprietary AAA technology with the power needed to make such games run smooth. The only AAA technology that users can access right now is Unreal 4, and even then there are plenty of struggles to make AAA quality content as outlined by a read of their forums (in part because Epic still treats the engine as in-house technology and is known to make controversial changes in order to make their projects).

Doing such a sophisticated game in the BGE will likely lead to a lot of time struggling to keep your Python code optimized enough to keep everything running at 60 frames per second (unless of course you figure out how to make variants like PyPy work in the engine). When Haidme made Krum, he said at one point that it literally took the engine to its limit (and it was still somewhat simplistic compared to many AAA titles). The UPBGE project looks to raise the threshold a bit, but people are still reporting some speed issues.

My 5 cents:

This strongly depends on what you mean with ā€œlikeā€. This is just a vague idea. To make a game you need to be specific what you want.

I suggest to write down what your game should do and what it should contain. This alone is a lot of work and you can estimate how har d that might become. Start with high level aspects and detail them later.

Ok man - go and do creativity. Beware of the Sithā€¦

This depends on your current skill level, and what you mean by ā€œlikeā€?
Do you mean graphically similar?
Similar difficulty?
Similar atmosphere?
Why do you want to make a game like Dark Souls?
Itā€™ll be easier to answer the other questions if you give us more details.

Again, what is your current skill level?
What do you know already?
If youā€™re new to making games, youā€™ll need to learn a lot of the basics; this can take a lot of time, but if you truly want to make a game like Dark Souls, it will be worth it.

I took a quick glance at some of your earlier posts, why do you want to use UE4 as the engine? Is there a specific reason for this?