I want feedback on my game project. Fly my rocket plane!

I have been fooling around with blender off and on for about 3 years now. I have slowing getting better. I made a basic game where I put my head :wink: in a futuristic plane with rockets. I even has fire come out the back for thrust. There is no gravity so the plane just floats. I have another file where a superhero version version of myself walks around.

Eventually I want to combine the two to make where the hero jumps out the plane the scene switches then I kick AI bad guy ass on the ground with gadgets and superpowers. I will attach the files below. Tell me is it good for a relative noob? :evilgrin:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B33ZLYQNVuNCQ01TdzB6Y1hEU28&usp=sharing

Basically I wanna know how do I link the two blend files when I export a final game. Also what is the best technique for a superhero beat em up in blender for damage detection? How do I simulate gravity in the flying section?

Controls for flying
w pitch down
s pitch up
d roll right
a roll left
q yaw left
e yaw right
spacebar thrust forward
left click shoot rocket
camera: 1, 2, 3

ground game
w walk forward
s walk back

Basically I wanna know how do I link the two blend files when I export a final game. Also what is the best technique for a superhero beat em up in blender for damage detection? How do I simulate gravity in the flying section?

Controls for flying
w pitch down
s pitch up
d roll right
a roll left
q yaw left
e yaw right
spacebar thrust forward
left click shoot rocket

ground game
w walk forward
s walk back

Hi I hope you are having a good day.

I 'm not sure if you have noticed the link is empty.

Gravity is enabled by default but it only affects objects with certain physics types (dynamic, character, rigid body). Make sure you set your objects to dynamic and they should be affected by gravity. If you ever don’t want gravity to affect the object, apply an upward global force along the Z axis to counteract it.

Hey adwitandrew, I’m good how r u? I fixed the link for some reason it didn’t upload last night. Now both files are in there if you wanna try them out.

Thanks. redbaron5

*** Moderation ***
moved from Game Engine Support and Discussion
reason: it is a WIP

Hi, it’s good progress.

The models are very nice, though a little high poly for blender.
The walking character is a little strange, there’s a lot of code for just walking backwards and forwards… Is it a ragdoll?

I’d recommend working some more on basic stuff like walking, turning, shooting and jumping before getting involved in ragdolls and such. There’s lots of cool cutting edge stuff you can do in Blender, but if you haven’t got the basics mastered, it becomes much more difficult.

It’s best to think first about gameplay. Is the game fun? Is there a goal? What does the player do in order to progress in the game?

I’d start by making it possible to destroy the building in the flying section. Then maybe try and move the character around a maze or something, maybe jumping between some platforms. You could add a fuel gauge to the jet and add some coins or stars or something for the player to try and pick up before running out of fuel. The more you try out new things, the more your knowledge will grow. But it’s important to chose projects which you can understand, if you just follow some steps to make a ragdoll, it didn’t really teach you anything useful.

For years I did things like that, just simple experiments to find out how to pick up objects, shoot missiles which could destroy enemies, run, jump and walk as well as fly. I don’t know how much you know already, so I don’t want to make suggestions for your next project.

I’d recommend watching some of the tutorials by this guy:

He’s got some great tutorials for Blender game engine which cover most of the basics of getting a character in the game and moving around as you’d like. Also @Monster has some good tutorials and guides.

Hey Smoking_mirror, thanks for the feedback. No, I’m not trying to make a ragroll (maybe there was a bug on ur end). I haven’t even programmed gravity and physics yet. Also, I want to find a way to reduce polygons without the models looking bad. I use other programs like makehuman and facegen to circumvent modeling. I only know the basics of making a shooting game. I eventually want the rockets to make explosions and KO’s. The New Batman Arkham Knight demo batmobile inspired my plane. My hero will either be an archer, mutant, or tech master.

BTW: I suck at walk cycles and animations, so making the power and fight animations are gonna be a pain but worth it.

In the human rig there was some code with lots of functions related to math and stuff which looked at first glance to be for real time control of a rig. I see now it’s connected with the rig you used for your character… some sort of auto rigging tool right?

You won’t have to program physics or gravity, they are part of the game engine already.

Anyway… My advice would be to spend some time learning about modeling first. I spent about a year on the basics such as UV unwrapping and edge loops before getting involved with the game engine. If you want to jump right in with making a game you can use simple shapes, like a stick man or whatever while you learn about rigging and animation.

The rig you used didn’t have any IK (Inverse Kinematics) which can help to make animation much much easier. Once you learn about those things you can make a walk cycle easily.

Here’s a good tutorial about rigging:

Some rigging tutorials are too complicated to understand, but that one starts from a very basic setup and doesn’t try to introduce too many difficult things. Notice the character he’s using is just a blob man. Nothing special, just right for learning.

Here’s another tutorial on the same subject, but with words and pictures, so it’s easier to follow:

I don’t like video tutorials myself, so I find something where there are step by step pictures and text much more comfortable.

Once you’ve got a working rig you can move on to walk cycles:

Finally check out the tutorials I linked above:

These will show you have to get your walk cycle working well in game, and further how to add things such as shooting a gun, and controlling the camera.

It’s not easy to learn how to make games in Blender, but it’s easier than other programs I’ve tried. If you stick with it and treat it like a series of assignments that have to be completed you’ll be rewarded with all the skills you need.

One final piece of advice is to steer clear of any tools which promise to do all the work for you, such as make human or auto rigging scripts. You won’t learn much useful stuff when using them and the end result is often not very useful for Blender games. For example Make human always makes characters who are too detailed and high poly. Every time you do something yourself, either by following a tutorial or just experimenting with some ideas of your own you’ll be improving your skills.

I started using 3d software in 2003 and I haven’t had anyone to teach me so my progress has been slow. But finally I feel I’m at a stage where I can do most of the things I want without hitting a brick wall. I do still have to ask for advice though and sometimes I’m completely stumped by some of the problems which Blender throws my way.

HAPPY BLENDING! :smiley:

Yea, I used rigify with a video guide from blender artist’s parent company CG cookie. I will look into IK and rerig my guy. BTW: I modeled the plane from scratch but I wanna make improvements. I eventually want to make the final product to look this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpp0-ixLcw and the terrestrial game to be similar to the Batman Arkham games or Splinter Cell. The plot is he has to take down an Evil Company Similar to Lexcorp from the Superman comics if you noticed from the flying part. Wow you have an decade of XP, I bet you have alot to teach me(I have only dabble in blender since 2011). Thanks you are so helpful :slight_smile:

Hi I hope you are having a good day.

I took a look at the blend files and “coreyplanegame” looks great. both games boast good models.
I could not get “corey with body” to work(blender 2.68a).

ADVICE:
Do not use the bpy module in the game engine because it will not be available in the exported game.(Blender(bpy) is not part of the game engine(BGE))
You might want to try using an overly scene for the background and sky so the plane never goes through the sky.

All in all nice work.

Ha! the programs I used back in 2003 are so out dated almost none of what I learned back then is relevant now.

Anyway:

Modeling (or sculpting)
UV unwrapping
Texturing
Rigging
Animation
Game Logic
Scripting

That’s the best order to learn the skills you need for making games in the BGE. You don’t really even need the last one, but the others are pretty important skills. You can’t skip them unless you put together a good team, one person to model, another to animate, someone else to code etc… Then you only need to learn one skill, but such teams fall apart rather quickly, and then you find yourself advertising for “animator wanted” or more often “programmer wanted”. It’s best to get a basic understanding of all the skills you need so your project doesn’t get hung out to dry if a team member leaves.

ADVICE:
Do not use the bpy module in the game engine because it will not be available in the exported game.(Blender(bpy) is not part of the game engine(BGE))

I think the script was left over from riggify, a tool for automatically rigging a character. That’s why it uses BPY, because it’s not a BGE script. I thought it was at first, something like a ragdoll script, but it’s just one of the blender scripts which you run once to perform some task. Python can be a useful tool outside the game engine too.

Thanks for the compliments, adwitandrew, they mean alot. I made the plane and the building from scratch. :smiley: . Thanks for the advice about python and BGE because I wanted to use a python mouse look script but I guess I can’t. Smoking mirror, what do you think about rigify: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYiAd_08-0k ? I guess I got a long ways to go to make a good game. I wish I could just download premade animations. thanks.

@ Monster, I’m reading your guides. Very Helpful.

You can use many python scripts in the game engine but they use the bge module, with this we can do things like find the nearest monster or move the view with the mouse or save a players progress in our game to the hard disk. Outside the game engine we can use the bpy module for doing things like rigging a character automatically or building complex procedurally generated shapes. However we cant use the bpy module in the game engine.

you can use premade animations and rigs or make a team and share jobs as I said, but to really learn to do something it’s best to do the hard work yourself even if you are disappointed with the results at first. As you get better at doing it you’ll feel an amazing feeling of achievement when you manage to get a working demo all made by you.

It’s like cooking. If you’re making a pizza you could buy the pizza base premade from the store and then just add your favorite toppings but the pizza will taste much better if you made it from scratch.

You are right, Smoking Mirror, it’s better to learn the skills now then to be crippled later. Although, I am only on a mid spec laptop, but I’ll upgrade to a gaming desktop this fall. The plane part I should be able to finalize soon but the terrestrial part is gonna a hard labor of love. I don’t see alot of beat em ups in BGE tho. Good luck on ur RPG.

My next step is to add hit detection to the rockets and connect the two scenes.