I want to make an FPS with a fullbody viewmodel, but...

I’m having a bit of a problem. I placed the camera where the head would be and parented it to the viewmodel. I switch to the camera’s perspective and look down, expecting to see my torso and arms and legs, but it’s not there – the viewmodel rotates along with the camera, as in it’s always perpendicular to the camera.

So what I’m hoping to achieve is to manipulate the head – and only the head – and to be able to see the player’s feet and torso and arms. (Examples would include games like Outlast or Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic.) I hope this makes sense lol.

If some screenshots of my current situation would help, I’ll try to put some up. Thanks for your time.

What I’ve done in the past is parent the camera to a head bone on the view model’s armature. Then I’ve created an animation that looks up and down, and (using python) blended the animation in as appropriate. As you look up and down, the animation drives the armature and the camera look up and down.

In Dark Messiah, there are actually two different models in play. The arms are traditional first person shooter arms, and are directly attatched to the camera. The body model is actually created without arms, and is positioned and animated seperately.

Thanks for the reply, guys. I haven’t set up an armature yet so… yeah lol. I’ll set one up and see if I get the results I’m looking for.

Oh, another question: Is it possible to change the field-of-view of the camera without actually changing its dimensions (i.e., the resolution)? The camera currently is rather tunnel-visioned; I’m aiming for a realistic first-person experience, not an FPS where the hands are an inch in front of the camera.