I Want Your Advice! A Preview of My WIP Progress.

Hi all. I am working on modeling a car, and I finished the hood. I want some tips and advises, so I can continue to other parts. These are two photos, which are: The one while in Blender, and the other rendered.

I need this information to advance in my project, and with advises, it would be better.

*** MODERATION ***
Moved from ‘Latest News’ to Artwork / WiP

For future posting please use the appropriate forum, not just the first one you see !

Right… so you need to familiarize yourself with the concept of topology.
So to summarize, try to get your edges “flowing” with how the edges of a real life car would. Try to make all the polygons quads, that means no triangles and no n-gons.

Model from at least 2 sides at once. Dont go and layout the top view and then try to get it right in the side view. Instead lay down your mesh in 3d space, in all axis.

So to summarize, try to get your edges “flowing” with how the edges of a real life car would. Try to make all the polygons quads, that means no triangles and no n-gons.

That is the advice given to anybody who dares to post an image of topology that is generally regarded as “bad” or “messy”. Here’s my personal heretic opinion on this:

Your topology is fine, unless:

1. It hinders you in your workflow
  2. It shades/renders unpleasingly
  3. It deforms or subdivides unfavourably

If you change topology for any other reason, you are probably wasting your life. Just accept the fact that it looks unpleasant as a wireframe (The aestheticist in you migh rebel against this). Triangles and N-Gons are completely fine unless they cause one of the aforementioned problems. It just so happens that they often do cause problems, particularly in non-flat areas. Learning how to avoid this is part of building modeling experience. Trying to keep everything quads for no good reason will inevitably lead to problem #1.

EDIT: To explain some bias against our good old friend, the triangle:
Triangles in a subdivision surface cause extraordinary vertices (also called “poles”) to appear during the first subdivision step (after which the mesh will be all quads anyway).
These are likely to cause problems, but unless you are modeling something like a torus, it will be impossible to get away without them. Learning how to deal with them is something you will have to do, anyway.
And for N-Gons: Some algorithm will tesselate them into triangles in an utterly tasteless fashion.

I understand your reasoning, but disagree because if you ever need to create something where good topology is needed, and you have been creating bad typology from the start, then you have a lot of bad habits to break to get good typology. (you kind of mention this at the end of your post)

Interesting point but if you learn good topology from the start it will help you immensely in the long run, and since you will know how to properly lay it down, it will not hinder you in anyway.

Good topology is NOT for aesthetic purposes, rather it gives your model the correct shape without an uphill battle… a proper edge-flow defines curves in your hard surfaces, and provides good animatable mesh for your organic model. In addition it makes editing your mesh way easier, and any deformation and smoothing that needs to be done will yield batter results. And once sub-surf is turned on the result is a smooth surface that is pleasing to look at and work with.

As far as triangles go, there are ways around them that yield sometimes better results. However sometimes ofcourse triangle is needed. Now speaking about low poly models on the other hand… a good topology is still important but in order to conserve vertices triangles are perfectly fine, after all the whole mesh is most likely triangulated anyway for the game engine.

An overview of why topology is vital to high quality modeling

If you disagree then you disagree on what it means to have “good” topology. By my definition, topology is good if it does not cause problems. By some perverse “standard” of modeling, triangles have now become a sign of “bad topology”. If you realize that triangles are topologically equivalent to poles, you see that they allow higher-order control over them, which is powerful. And as we’ve established, poles are absolutely unavoidable. Therefore, indiscriminately avoiding triangles (especially by adding more control geometry) is actually a bad habit.

What model of BMW is that? :RocknRoll:

I guess we disagree on what “good typology” is.