i was also wondering. . .

(vfxjunkie) #1

Sorry for asking so many questions but im kinda new to blender and i need a lot of help with it.:spin: But i have a scene where lasers are being fired. of course they will be cgi but is there a way to make light from the laser shine on the characters? thx. all help is apprietiated.

0 Likes

(forkazoo) #2

First off, “i was also wondering. . .” is a useless title. Please use a subject line which gives some idea of the content of the message. If everybody just posted with subjects like “I have a question” then it would be essentially pointless to even have subjects!

That said, you don’t give enough information. I’m assuming you have live action footage of a sci-fi battle shot on location, and you want to add laser effects in post. I’m assuming it was on location, rather than on a greenscreen. First off, if you are going to shoot, or can re-shoot… You may want to consider just shooting with an actual red blinkenlight. A red strobe light timed to your laser shots, and in vaguely the right position will look very realistic, and you can easily tell if it is working just by replaying the scene from your video camera.

Now, assuming that you have already shot it, or onset lighting would be impractical, it is sort of possible. But, if you have to ask how, you probably haven’t yet built up enough of a skillset to do it. And, even with an experienced team working on a professional gig, I’d be hard pressed to reccomend spending time with it. In a word… Roto. You have to manually rotoscope laser colored highlights on appropriate parts of the scene. There isn’t any way to automatically reconstruct the scene in 3D and have Blender’s 3D lights cast light onto objects in the 2D scene correctly. You just have to paint the highlights on manually, each frame. The truly masochistic can indeed do this in Blender, but it would be a heck of a lot more convenient in a dedicated compositing package like After Effects or Shake.

That said, there are some special cases where you could build a 3D scene, and skip the roto. For example, if you have a city scene, where all the visible objects are basically just box shaped buildings, you could (manually) model your whole scene, then match up your camera so everything is aligned, and then camera map the footage onto your geometry as a texture. Use 100% ambient lighting, so everything shows up 100% as bright in your 3D version as in the source footage, and then start sending your “laser” lights through the scene as much as you want. If you have a lot of actors, statues, and other organically shaped objects instead of just boxes and whatnot, this will probably be extremely impractical.

0 Likes

(vfxjunkie) #3

Ok. That helps alot.

0 Likes