I was just gonna start learning blender, but....

i just wanna know if I can actually benefit from learning this. For example, can i ever export the animations into flash, etc. I basically want to know if I learn this, can i go anywhere with it, thanks.

I’m not really sure what you mean by “exporting to flash” . . . if flash takes in 3d then for sure there is a pretty good chance.

But from what I noticed about flash, and based on plenty of assumptions - it is primary a 2d software that can animate and so on using bitmaps and other asociated software.

Blender is a tool like any other, and I am using this for my own hobby after work to make quick drawings that otherwise would be quite impossible for me to make with just a pencil and paper, since I am not too hot on figure drawings.

I use blender, GIMP, make-human & inkscape, and yes a bit of post production is needed, but overall what I get is in my opinion quite neat.

If you want to get the best of your artwork, then have a look at what you imagine in your mind and then get the best use of your resources.

that is a good way of putting it, and yes, flash is mostly bitmaps, etc. the only reason is because i’m still in high school, and this is my senior year. I have to learn java, c++, visual basics, delphi, action script, and the only way i’d have time for this, is if i could make it work with adobe. It is a really cool software, no doubt, but the only way i’d do it, is if i could put it in a flash movie, or even something else, with CS4, because i gotta make a website for school using it. So if i could use blender on the page, i would no doubt get an A.

ok… you can’t “use” blender on the page . . unless you are a super cool python programmer … . but you can use the renders of blender on your page. Renders are images that blender produces.

And it seems you have plenty on your plate at the moment, my advice is to, (& please note this is my personal opinion), that you find out what’s most needed in the job market at the moment and gear your studies with this in mind, rather than doing something you find interest in.

Papervision can load collada models exporter from blender into flash and display them as real 3D
Its opensource too http://blog.papervision3d.org

Otherwise you can render the frames and use some flash tracing tool (flashes if you own that but there are free ones too), which is kindof poor but depends on how your using it, can look nice too.

that’s the problem, i dont know where to find this stuff, what people need. I know they need java, c++, and a basic knowledge of computers, but other then that, school, doesnt seem to even know what is needed for the future. But do you know what i can do with the videos of blender. What can actually be done with them. Or is that like, just to make movies and games. If the games part is true, then how is that compiled, for playing. Or would that be through python.

Hey
If you want to know about a good field to get to, my best advice is to look at your jobs sections and find out what is out there that suits you. Regarding programming, unless you are super hot at this, you can’t compete with 100,000+ graduates the world’s universities are producing at the moment every year, all of them hunger for the few jobs there are.
Since your interest is along this field, maybe you want to diversify your skill as much as possible and hope that when you come out university, one of the skills you have picked up will secure a well paying job. Not everything you learn will help you, but your resume will be all the better.
Regarding making movies and games - trust me I’ve been there. It’s too much for one person on his/her to accomplished alone. If you know someone with plenty of money that they can invest, the money will go a long way to gather a small team to make a short movie in a short time.

I think you should focus on career choices instead of tool choices at this point in your life. Tools and techniques change and you can more easily adapt to those changes than you can with major career moves.

Think of the career as the path, and the tools as the things you need to pack to take with you. To start down that path, you don’t need to over-pack your bags with everything you MIGHT need for a journey that has yet to be clearly defined. You can pick up what you need as you go and when it’s clear that you actually need it.

Right now, you’ve got at least 5 different major programming languages on your plate, in addition to learning 3d graphics (which also requires some studies of general art, etc.) plus any game engines you might look into. That’s…A LOT. In fact, way too much. You’ll burn out before really getting anywhere.

I would suggest establishing what it is that you really love and have the most passion for, then find out what careers are available that will allow you to make a living while pursuing that passion. If you don’t love what you do, then you won’t have the drive and determination to get you through the inevitable tough times and you’ll start to compromise your dreams and you won’t be happy. Find out what you love, put a laser target on it, and plot a path of excellence toward it. Don’t make any assumptions, make decisions based on your research.

Some links:
The Unofficial Truth About the Industry
Courses and Schools discussions
Game Industry Job listings
More Job listings

Good Luck!

thanks for the advice. Well, see in one of my computer classes, they’ve got us learning Alice, which is an object based program, (idk what language that uses), but i was gonna get my teacher to substitute Blender for that. Blender is a superior program compared to Alice, in my opinion, and i would benefit more from Blender then Alice. Any opinions on that.

I’d say Blender would definitely have more value to you afterwards than Alice, but would have a steeper learning curve. If your teacher isn’t already familiar with it, it might be tough to switch over to it mid-class.

By the way, to add to the list of ways you can use Blender with Flash that people mentioned, you can also use Blender to make “generators” in Flash (see http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1457699).

If you don’t mind me asking, what is it that you’d like to do? Besides using blender in flash, because that’s pretty general.

It looks like Alice is a good choice for a high school graphics programming class. It looks like it makes learning the concepts easy for a classroom setting.

I agree with “paulfitz” that it would be a problem for the teacher to switch to an unfamiliar application. Maybe the teacher could look at Blender for future students, but not at the last minute because the entire course would have to be re-structured (and approved by the school).

The class isn’t a waste of time, though, because the concepts learned will transfer to other applications.

Useful links kernond! Thank you!

Ok, first of all, I am a tad bit confused on what you mean when you say “need” to learn C++, Java, etc. If these are all required in your classes, which I would highly doubt, then there is no point, except maybe 1 or possibly 2 of the languages you mentioned above. Also, of the ones you mentioned above, Visual Basic is nearly useless, as you are restricted to a Microsoft .NET platform, and is much less powerful than C++ or Java. To be honest, I do not see any reason to learn all these languages, as the syntax is the easiest part. The real programming is in the actual logic behind it, so it is more important to master a single language.

Movies exported in Blender can be imported into Flash if that is what you mean. However, if you are focused web design, I would think it would be better for you to learn HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, XML, etc.

Blender is a great way to get into 3D as you will be ahead of the game. Blender is one of the most powerful packages out there, however as others have already stated, it takes a long time to master.

You may also be able to convince your teacher that you would rather learn Blender individually, and generate the same content through Blender rather than Alice. This would allow you to learn Blender, and please the teacher at the same time :slight_smile: Either way, good luck!

I do think it’s shocking how much your mental outlook can say about you. “I’m thinking about (groan) learning Blender, because in order to gain a competent level of skill in the tasks an employer will (groan) make me do, I want to know if using Blender can export for when I (groan) have to learn Flash” is a terrible mentality to approach things from.

I picked up both Mudbox and MELscript in my free time while nobody taught either at my school, just because animation and production stuff excited me. I did projects because I liked doing projects, and if I needed something it was a fun opportunity to learn a new skill. Heck, I spent one Saturday and picked up Zbrush enough that I’d confidently put it on a resumé.

Blender is used at my current job as an economic choice. A major reason I got the job is one of their interview questions was “are you willing to throw away that whole Maya/Max education you just got, and learn Blender instead?” The other applicants disliked the idea of learning a new program, or at least expressed great reserve. I saw it as a chance to play with a shiny new toy.

So go play with Blender, your shiny new toy! Best part, it’s free, a rarity among toys.

on the contrary, blender at least is written mainly in C, I did quite a lot of commercial work using only C and python, Now I do some C++ for the blender game engine but Id definitely not say you have to know C++ and java, though ofcourse it depends what project you work with.

a lot of people seem to assume that blender (and other apps) are all in C++, some study was done recently and found that C is the most popular language in the opensource space at least.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/newss/6831/1/

To be honest, though, most of those open source apps are probably small scale in comparison to things such as Blender. Of course, most major commercial products have all ported their software to C++, to take advantage of the object oriented aspect, but creating large scale applications similar to Blender in just plain C can result in very messy code that is nearly unreadable, and mostly just functions, as C does not allow for any sort of object oriented structure. I personally love Blender, but I think it would benefit a lot from a port to C++. Also, I have heard that jobs are much easier to find in Java than in C++. Personally, I think Java is much cleaner, as you don’t have to worry about the pointers like in C++ and C. Pointers, although very useful at times, can easily make a huge mess of your code :eek: Python is nice though, simple yet powerful :slight_smile:

kotakotakota, I wasnt suggesting C++ and java are irrelivant, only that many projects still use C (gimp/blender/python/linux come to mind)
Its not like learning COBOL or something if you decide to use learn C.

Since you ask on a blender forum, you can expect some bias to the language that blender is written in :wink:

As for more general advice - learn a language to do some really great project you can enjoy, become expert in this area and it wont matter so much what language it is (C/C++/Java/python ruby whatever)
Often people don’t care what language you use as long as it comes through with the goods.

Only if you don’t care about the job you’re doing. The vast majority of java coding work is in finance, not the most exciting of programming fields.

I really am learning these languages, all the classes i’ve taken have a different one in each. As for switching to alice mid year, we dont even have teh alice books yet, this is the first year they are getting alice. The books wont be here for at least another month, so learning blender would also be a benefit. I also dont (groan) about blender, i really want to learn blender, i just dont wanna spend so much time on it, and not be able to use it. But it seems above, it does have some value, and is fun, so thanks for all the help, really, you guys have helped me make my choice.