I wish that the bug fixes found in an official release could be applied in there.

I simply made a counter argument. The answer to your problem only creates more problems - as others have now stated. I don’t know why you seem to take this personally.

I want more. Where’s the drama in that ?
There is no drama in wanting more, however there is drama in the temperament in which you approach this subject. Passion is cool amongst artists. But tone it down just a bit.

Maybe you don’t know me but I give a lot of my time to help with Blender and I think that I succeed in making things just a little better. I don’t deserve the load of shit that you had for me today.

J.
You’re right. I don’t know you. You don’t know me. I wasn’t suggesting SVN to give you shit. Don’t know why you would think so. It’s just the best thing you could do with what we have now (as i’ve observed, could be wrong though).

Thanks, have a good day, I’ll have a good night.

Make sure you have a warm glass of milk.

I hope you two have a good chat together, just to state again what Theeth already said:

SVN trunk is the bugfixes (patches) already applied. Get a recent build (either made yourself or from graphicall.org) and you’ll have a patched version.

/Nathan

@ropsta:
I slept, no milk but I feel good.
I was pissed for two reasons : firstly, although I do not read all the posts here, far from it, I had noticed some of your and I liked your general attitude ; secondly you extrapolated so far from what I wrote, like my intention was to somehow ask anyone to fulfill my need for the most stable Blender possible or something of the sort. I was here to get information and the only one who did not go into some fantasy trip were Theeth and Aligorith.

@jesterKing:
Yes Theeth, with his suggestion of a diff, is already giving me a tool that should go a long way.

Anyway I have work to do now and a direction as to where to look. That is the important thing.

J.

But keeping 2 different things updated, and asking that all patches to fix bugs either work in both, or that two are written, is going to require extra work.

Yet, in all logic, the SVN, prior to the RCs filtering, has to be buggier than once the debugging happened and a release is done. Otherwise why make the RCs at all if the SVN is “as if not more stable to use than the most ‘stable’ release”. With all due respect I can’t accept that.

It must be buggier before the big bugfix push? Yes, I do believe it is. After that, bugfixes go into the SVN.

The order is important, the initial point was that the SVN is probably more stable than previous releases. You responded by pointing out that at one point, a release in the future will have less bugs.

SVN is less stable because new things are added, but more stable because old things are fixed. It’s rare you’d get an SVN version that wouldn’t do the core things that the main build would do. Even then, major things are usually coded quite separately, then merged later.

Anyway, a bit of a solution for you. Set up a machine to regularly update and compile blender from svn. Commit this to a git repository. You now can grab the latest version, or very quickly drop back to a previous version locally.

Absolutely and I am very aware of what is going on in development by watching bf-cvs, bf-committers, having an eye on the Sunday meeting, looking out for bug and reporting, helping Theeth with the CTOs for a time… I know that everybody is busy full time and that even bug fixing and patch evaluation were put on the back burner until Ton re-entered the game a couple of week ago. So I am not asking anyone for anything but information.
Now it appears clearly to me that I did not make it clear enough from the beginning. My bad.

It must be buggier before the big bugfix push? Yes, I do believe it is. After that, bugfixes go into the SVN.

That is what I, just me, nobody else, would like to change if I can and catch the bugfixes that can apply to the official release to patch it with them.

The order is important, the initial point was that the SVN is probably more stable than previous releases.

Is it really? OK, so, if I were to use the SVN only for the functions that are in the release just before that I would have more stability than with that previous release? Would I need to clear off anything not bugfixing related with a diff like Theeth suggested or could I spare myself the work if I am careful to not use any new functions?

You responded by pointing out that at one point, a release in the future will have less bugs.

Umm, I see that now, right.

SVN is less stable because new things are added, but more stable because old things are fixed. It’s rare you’d get an SVN version that wouldn’t do the core things that the main build would do. Even then, major things are usually coded quite separately, then merged later.

Good, the picture is getting clearer. :slight_smile:

Anyway, a bit of a solution for you. Set up a machine to regularly update and compile blender from svn. Commit this to a git repository. You now can grab the latest version, or very quickly drop back to a previous version locally.

‘Git’ is on the list.

Hey, this is getting to be quite a good morning.

Thank you very much and then some more for your time Ian.

:slight_smile:

Jean

I’m sorry you felt that way. It was not my intention. I was tired so I may have indicated more than what was there.

into some fantasy trip

:spin: where did I go? No matter, you are delving into the wonder that is SVN, so all is good. :smiley:

All is good now ropsta.
Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Jean