Ian Hubert - Sketchbook

I usually maximize the render window to full screen, if that’s what you’re asking; does that affect render performance??

I mean the desktop with all the objects on screen, like hundreds of objects each with subsurf (if that’s the case). What would you say is the most complicated scene you’ve worked on?

Oh!!! Yeah, hundreds of objects for sure! Though I really rarely use subsurf. I basically just use EdgeSplit on everything, and occasionally I’ll bevel an edge to taste.

The viewport is pretty standard, I think. I do a lot with linked groups, so I can work on individual elements outside of the overall scene. I’ve been experimenting with the viewport ambient occlusion lately, which is super gorgeous.

Below is probably the most geometry heavy file I’ve ever worked on- though most of it is copy and paste. After pasting in the 4th building block, I could barely even interact with the file. Just got it open and hit f12. Rendered quick, though!

1 Like

Super impressive thread all-round!
From concepts to execution, inspiring!

Top row for sure.

Highly recommend moving over to the autosmooth option… its not a modifier its a mesh attribute… its faster for viewports and will honor instancing nicely for rendering

Huh- I’ve heard about that before, but hadn’t realized it was in the mesh panel. Definitely gonna give that a shot, thanks! :smiley:

Been working a lot on Dynamo! Nate and I are trying to make a huge long shot in a space refinery, and I just put these little guys together to fill out the scene. Kinda like little tugboats.

Loving those greebles.

I modeled an apollo-style engine for the previous project (the space pillrocket thing), and I’d always wanted to put a bunch of rockets on a planet, so I did. The end result is a bit more starwarsy than I’d hoped, but eh. Filled it out with some old assets, and yeah! I like it :smiley:

Attachments

2 Likes

And here’s just the planet, without all the other junk in the way.

Wow. Is that cycles btw?

woooow! loving that!

Thanks dude! Yeah, I’ve only been working in cycles for the past year or so.

I’m a little obsessed with this moon texture map.

Attachments

How did you unwrap the sphere? Everytime i’ve done a planet I’ve had to hide the poles where the texture gets funky.

I must say your composition is really good. Reminds me of a beeple picture.

The scale and details on some of these images is just crazy, some of them are practically film-quality.

How many polygons do you pack in there on average and how long do they take to put together?

Thanks guys!

Tyko: the texture map I used was super high res, and took the stretching into account (kinda like the Mercator map projection).

Ace Dragon: oh man, I have no idea how many polygons. I just opened up a typical complex scene and it had almost a million faces. Most of the stuff I’m making these days involves an ever adapting collection of little doodads I re-use/repurpose, so it’s hard to say how long any individual picture takes.

Here’s part of the work I did today- the ending of a music video I’ve been working on. It’s gonna be weird. I’m pretty excited to get it out there. :smiley:

fantastic stuff! more more more space stuff! :smiley:

How are you texturing those greebles and engines etc…bruh?

Also, i like how your trademark kind of thing is the red lights. Theres always red lights on the end of pointy things hehe