Ian Hubert - Sketchbook

What is your greebles library like? To put that together in one night is really fast for such good quality. Do you build a greeble a night or something?

the flying thingie looks very very very good! great! fantastic! amaziiing! :smiley: well done! How much time did it take you to create it?

and a very good looking animation. You are becoming my favourite artist here… :slight_smile:

That is weird. It doesn’t show up on any PC I’ve tried, or my phone.

Any chance of a simple wire from the flying contraption to get a feel for greebleness?

Tyko: It’s not really a greebles library, really (though have you seen those new add-ons they’re working on? The model libraries with the little thumbnails? Ugh- those could be so useful)-

m-squared: Ahhh, thanks, dude!

3pointEdit: Yeah! It looks pretty normal. In the top view, you can see the engines aren’t even attached to the wings (which, my friend pointed out, should totally rotate with the engines to serve as vector plates)- but you don’t see that area well, so it’s ok (if I do more shots, I might add it in).

Attachments

1 Like

Also, most of these little bits are from a project I did a year or so ago, converting a vanagon into some sort of aircraft. Literally just drag-n-drop from that project to this for most of it.

Attachments

1 Like

So nice to see radial engines making a comeback! Thanks for putting up the wires etc :smiley:

Ian, maybe the image isn’t showing up in other places than your computer because the source file is located on that computer, or something weird like that Could you try and repost it?

By the way, you should totally try and take one of your models and get it 3D-printed!

Luka1184: Oh man, I really want to get some of them printed at some point. Is there an easy addon/tool yet that makes any giant mass of mesh manifold?

Also- it’s going to be anticlimactic, but I’ll try reuploading that one picture:

Attachments

I keep walking down the street and seeing random things, and something in my brain keeps pinging, “This is important!”, like it’s reminding me of a dream I had or something. It’s probably just the changing seasons or some crap, but I made an image that kinda exemplifies it. An Edward Hopper meets Dr. Seuss kind of thing, I guess.

ALSO: does anyone know what’s up with the images? They’re all gone from the thread, and you have to hand-click on the attachments. Before, I deleted the image because otherwise both the image and (what I assume is some sort of) thumbnail preview would be there, and it seemed redundant, but now it looks like I need to go back and keep the image, or something :confused:

Attachments

Yeah, it seems really backwards and awkward the way the system is at the moment. I hope they can change it or something.

Loved the Helicopter vid - Epic!
…This whole thread is a gem.

I’m confident the forum images bug will be fixed soon.

It looks like an image from a Indiana Jones movie.

Pleasant Accommodations! A mysterious condominium in the void- another quick Dynamo piece; matched it up with interiors shot in a really weird looking old apartment. I wrote a bunch of scenes to take place at night, because it was winter, and it was hard to get a shoot up and running and shot before the sun set at, like, 3pm, but now it’s spring, and I’m finally getting around to filming night scenes, so we either have to start our shoot at 8pm, or try to cover every window in the space with blankets. We went the blanket route :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

Ian,
I follow your work since Project London and must say everything you do is inspiring.

Could you make a tutorial about your modelling and rendering process? I would appreciate to learn some of your techniques.

Jean

So I started out on this project today figuring it was going to be mostly photoshop, but it turns out that it’s really darn fun to model little trucks, and arrange them out like this.

Still very much a work-in-progress, but I dig how it’s turning out. Mostly I just wanted to capture that overbright glowing electric feeling of buildings under construction at night.

The first picture is going to have action happening in the bottom left (which is why there’s a big blank area), and the second image is just a random render. Actually, it’s the angle I used as reference as I modeled the building, which is why it looks a bit better from below (as opposed to seeing straight through the gaps between the floors).

Yeah! :smiley:

Attachments

Ended up getting more done tonight than planned! We filmed the scene in an old cabin that’s supposed to be on a ledge over the valley. My original plan was just to cut out the first image and kinda splat it on top of the background, but the perspectives weren’t working right, so I projection mapped it, and since it was already in 3d, put it in an environment. Using a bit of the Grass Essentials in there too (I love it so much).

Attachments

1 Like

That must be a steep hill they built on :wink:

Ah damn, does the perspective look weird? The actual house was built on top of a pretty formidable cliff, so I may have channeled that a bit.