Ian Hubert - Sketchbook

But yeah, the most exciting part of this has been the 3d printing. We have an older one in our house, and it’s mostly just been gathering dust for the past couple years, cause we’ve been scared to touch it, but we got it up and running!

Being able to model in screw holes into different pieces, so they can just be bolted together after the fact, feels really good. Everything printed has to have a flat bottom (otherwise it’s a lot more likely to lead to printer errors)- which means I can’t model in slots/tabs the places where they’d usually be the most useful- but that’s alright- there’s always the future.

And here’s where it’s at as of the end of today :D. Alright- sorry about the image dump.

Wow! Really nice work with the prop - especially the painting. That front part is actual metal, right?

Yeah, the front piece is from an old vacuum cleaner! And thanks! It’s all just spray painted- although I was really lucky and ended up finding a hammered-blue spray paint that almost perfectly matched the color of the original vacuum.

Alright- I swear I won’t post much more of this, but just got a bunch more printed and all wired up with the arduino.

Now I’ve just gotta figure out how to mount it. After that I think I’m gonna try to build a robot hand.

Now thats 3d-printing put to good use^^

Made a robot for a friend’s birthday! Still really enjoying this 3d printer thing :smiley:

Attachments

Wow that 3D printing is kick A**. Nice work

hehe…love the hat genre

Omg…just saw the 3d printed vacuum bot…that metal really sets it off…love the design too.

A little pasta! I was going to do a CG shot of Pasta. But then I realized I could just buy like 4 bucks worth of pasta and do it for real. I still like the test, though :stuck_out_tongue:

An octopuses garden?

What 3D printer do you use?

wow, how did i miss this thread! awesome work man!

Ah- it’s a Gmax 3d printer. It works pretty darn well! I actually haven’t printed anything since that last robot- I gotta get some stuff going again!

Ok, so it’s really fun to work isometrically. I want to keep messing around with this. It’d be cool to do a whole video like this; film everything from a drone hovering at mostly the right angle, with the longest lens possible, then compositing in environments. It’s totally doable!

1 Like

If that isometric image is all CG, then color me impressed (just drenched with detail alongside spectacular lighting).

Ah thanks man! Yeah, all CG. I mean, I’m getting a lot of mileage out of image textures, but yeah!

I’m working on another environment, and found a cool little camera angle. Almost none of this part was even supposed to be seen; it was just kind of off-camera background stuff, but I thought it had a nice sense of space.

I feel the echoes in this shot, lovely. Great feel with the color choices as well.