Ian Hubert - Sketchbook

Is that all textures?? How do you get it looking so real??

robot with hats make good companions :smiley:

Tyko- I’m not totally sure what you’re asking, but yeah! It’s just a bunch of image textures mapped onto low-res geometry. I’ve been accumulating a collection for like the past 5 years, so I can just mix-n-match at this point (I try to keep it from being too obvious, but there’s definitely buildings that appear multiple times, especially towards the top).

Digiwolf- they’re the best companions!!! :smiley:

Here’s another piece for RottenDragon.com. It’s not actually what I meant to make- I thought image mapping an actual photo of a city onto a bunch of cubes then adding a water plane would make a kinda photo-real submerged city, but I wasn’t able to really pull it off (yet), so it’s just kitbashed.

And another angle, because the first one didn’t really capture what I wanted.

1 Like

I agree that the second one has a quiet desolation feeling. The placid water makes me think that theres a little chug chug chug noise coming from the boat. How did you model the wake and foam around the bow?

1 Like

Awesome images! How much of this is done in compositing? or is it a straight render from blender?

At first I thought the first image showed the street or a rainy day, and that the sign was being reflected in the wet ground, and I thought that kind of scene would have been very atmospheric-looking, kind of like one of those old paintings of movie stars or people at bars, jazz bars maybe. Gangster pictures, you know what I’m talking about, I think. Humphrey Bogart style stuff. Then I saw that it was more than a bit of rain, and it still looks really amazing and moody!

Ian, how did you make these buildings look so good?

Also,

If I wanted to use “A Million Different Worlds” in a project is there a way I can obtain it for use? Some sound cloud artists let you pay for a licence of some kind, would you do some thing similar? I love the song.

If you have seen the acoustic version on SC, that was uploaded by me. I will, however, delete it if Ian or Scott tells me to. The lyrics and chords were also transcribed by me, and someone else. However a fully produced version doesn’t exist yet, though it may some day in the future. Until then it may be a good idea to wait, since the song may also change. Scott apparently likes to change things at the last minute sometimes, from what I’ve been told. But it would be awesome to see what you could. I love the song as well, and have learned to play it on guitar and piano :slight_smile:

Long time no new posts here. Keep it going Ian! :smiley:

Ah hey, thanks m_squared!! Yeah- I’m up to my eyeballs in work the past few months, but it’s a tradeoff. One of those, “I’ll give up my entire life and do nothing but work for 6 months, but then I get paid and I don’t have to work for the next 6 months” situations. I’m wrapping up a huge project in the next month, and then I’m really excited to be back at it :D.

Tyko: Oh man, those old crazy low-poly buildings? They only look good because it’s just a photo texture mapped onto some geometry (you can see I didn’t even trace around the individual window frames, so all the windows are just big glowing uniform rectangles). That said, that’s why photomapping so darn cool- it’s super forgiving, and adds that randomness that’s really hard to get in CG.

Also hah! I’ll see if I can dig up a recording and upload it somewhere, yeah!

I’ve kind of made time for a bit of fun stuff- mostly just little doodles I snuck in at 3am after I’ve finished everything else I needed to get done that day. More random rotten dragon type stuff. Lots of quick remixing of older projects.

3 Likes

And a couple more!

Attachments

1 Like

Oh also, I don’t think I posted any of this, but this was a bigger project from a while back. It was mostly just a chance to actually spend some time on something instead of bashing it out as quickly as possible.

4 Likes

Some very nice scifi stuff here. Alot of it looks like it could have existed in Bladerunner.

Below’s a little preview of another shot from the scene. I’ve still gotta do the work of rotoing his head and putting in a proper reflection (a few too many trees right now :P)- but yeah! 3d motion tracking is crazy fun.

2 Likes

I love the lighting you get in your daytime scenes. In that last video, how much was fully cg objects, and how much was background plates? That looked extremely cg heavy.

Jesus Ian, you’re a beast! Just found this, love it! Can’t wait for the next Dynamo.

Tyko: Thanks man! And yeah, it was pretty cg heavy. There’s a little breakdown at the end of the video that shows the raw footage- it was basically just the little platform and the window. I’m really glad I’m not as nervous about 3d tracking as I used to be.

gr8: Hahaha! Thanks! I’m kinda delighted folks still even remember it exists. I’m still working on it all the time- I’ve just gotta start releasing stuff :smiley:

Will you be releasing breakdowns for the new episodes like you did on ep5?

1 Like