iCam color model for Blender?

I remember a discussion on the bf-comitters about an other discussion, about Gimp failing at a certain layer setup, which is often used and works perfectly fine in PS.
IIRC, it had to do with Gimp a) only using 8bit and b) doing all the calcs in RGB colour space.
Blender compositor performed better than Gimp, because it uses floating point values, but it still was worse than the result in Photoshop…

Now I wonder, if it would be possible to implement this colour model:
iCAM
to solve that problem and generally improve the results in the compositor.
I really don’t have a clue if that would make sense. But as I understand it and as far as my research brought me, iCAM is right now the most accurate colour model available, in terms of human perception…
Also, its results in HDR look really good, which could come in handy with extending curve-nodes and stuff to unclamped values…

I think blender uses an external lib (openEXR) for the >8bit color stuff which means that if someone wanted to play with raw render output all they would have to do is implement EXR in their app.

I haven’t really looked too much into it but it seems that it would be possible to port their color space algorithms over to the openEXR framework if anyone cared enough so it wouldn’t be necessary to re-write a bunch of apps.

And there’s this;

iCAM is not considered a finished product, but it is rather a framework designed to focus research on image appearance. We anticipate the evolution of iCAM into a more complete model, and are looking forward to other researchers contributions.

I now talked a tiny bit with vilda in #blendercoders, and he said, he already made some builds a year ago, with different colour management modes but he didn’t get a single tester, so he probably wouldn’t start coding an other one…

Yeah it’s unfinished in being extendible to even more human-perception-phenomenas, as I understood it, but it’s already now superior to any other colour model.

And I guess, the HDR-processing (which wasn’t my main idea but rather a side-effect^^) could be improved either way. Or my lighting setup, dunno^^ The Tonemapping-node did tonemap but, on cost of a lot of contrast…