Icarus now closed source?

I guess Icarus was bought by Pixel Farm?

Was it GPL’d? I thought it was against GPL to do that, but I guess the creators could relicense it right?

Anyway, I can’t find it on sourceforge so I’m pretty sure they shut that down.

Does anyone know if there are two versions out there or something, like did they buy the whole thing or what?:confused:

Icarus went commercial over three years ago (and it’s now integrated into PFTrack).

its time for a real open source match-move/camera tracking.
Software going commercial is the reason why I now avoid so called ‘freeware’ and stick to open source. I assume Open Source will stay open source forever.

AFAIK, it always was closed source, just freeware.

I know what you might want… (courtesy of effstops)

There is also the Voodoo Camera Tracker, freeware and still in development (and Blender support via a Python script).

Is it even possible to close the source of open source software once it has been released as “open source”?

Is it even possible to close the source of open source software once it has been released as “open source”?
Good question. Isn’t that what companies like Red Hat do when they release their Linux distros? They modify the code enough to make it proprietary and then charge money for it…

roofoo,

no that isn’t what RedHat does - what they do is integration work. They also offer support agreements and certification with proprietary software that works on top of linux (such as Oracle).

Whether a once ‘open source’ project can go closed source depends on a lot of things. First off - almost all software that is opensource, only future versions can be closed - they can’t retroactively close the source. A company or individual can only close the source if 1) they own the copyright to all of the code or 2) they remove the parts of the code that they don’t own the copyright to or 3) they get permission from the other copyright holders or 4) the license is BSD or similar license that allows closed source versions.
LetterRip

Ok, I got it. thanks

its time for a real open source match-move/camera tracking.
Software going commercial is the reason why I now avoid so called ‘freeware’ and stick to open source. I assume Open Source will stay open source forever.
I agree. There are other things that make closed source software like this unreliable, not the least of which is that since copies of the source aren’t distributed, the whole project is often at the mercy of one developer’s data storage habits. The Buzz Tracker music software could have been a fantastic piece of open source software but instead it went belly up for good when the developer’s hard drive crashed.

I assume the VooDoo tracker is better backed up than this, but I also assume that they will go proprietary as soon as they have the chance.

It’s too bad that there’s not better terminology to distinguish free software from “freeware” like this. It’s an important distinction. Proper free software is much more reliable in terms of the license. “Freeware” just refers to the price, and prices can change.

Iscarus was always free for non-comercial use as far as I know, same as what Voodoo is. This means that at the moment, if you want to get paid for any work you do, there is no camera tracker you can use unless your willing to pay a bit, which for a small business, or someone that does it as a part time side job, it is a real pain to do tracking.

I would really love to see a proper opensource camera tracker, even if it was only for blender. There was some talk a while ago about getting a side project to blender happening to create a camera tracker, but Im not sure what happened to it (Nobody really comitted to it I dont think).

I will be studying c++ as part of a uni course next year, and while I wont b a pro programmer, I would be willing to try to input whatever I can if someone started a project. Im pretty sure the blender foundation would do what they could in the way of some server space etc if a project was started (although I dont have any say, so ask them).

MicWit

I want to work on this too for Blender… But need some more practice coding it has been years. But looking over what is avialible I would hope that it wouldnt that hard… :rolleyes: Sure it will be though. Can some experienced coder get us going in the right direction??