ICBD, interactive colision bounds detection, an idea

I know this would be quite a hard thing to code, but…

I was thinking last night as I fell asleep that something like ICBD would be a great asset when doing animation.

If you took say a human model and at the same time as adding bones you could also add collision boundary bones it would make animating easier.

Take for example, if you added a bounds box, CBB, to say the toe region of the feet you could then set the floor as a CBF (collision bounds field) which would map even if the floor, or terrain, was uneven.

Then when animating the model it would act more like a puppet in that the feet could never go lower than the floor which would allow far faster animation as the placement in the up-down aspect would be done for you.

Another example could be hair, lets say I create 3 lots of hair on the back of the head (Mesh/fake hair, not the hair subsystem) called left, center, right, I then bring each group into a tight circle and add a chain of CBB’s that are just slightly smaller than the hair circle, it would then be possible to plat the hair as each CBB would prevent the plat strands from intersecting so that there would be far less work than manually positioning each strand against the others, obviously some tweaking would be required after the initial work.

Like wise a hand, or specific parts of the fingers, could have a CBB which would allow it to work with an object with a CBB so that it could pick up the object in real time during the animation.

Obviously there would need to be different CBB’s, say box, cylinder, and spherical.

I guess after doing the interactive part you would have normal time points that you could scroll through to make minor adjustments to positions and mesh topology such as squishing and expanding the hair in the above example to make it more realistic.